Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:17:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fatty Evans  (Read 4322 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Fatty Evans
« on June 03, 2018, 02:09:05 am by scawsby steve »
Last night on Sky Sports news, Fatty actually came out with this, "Leeds are one of the top 6 clubs in England, and one of the top 12 clubs in the world". Delusional doesn't even begin to describe him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Fatty Evans
« Reply #1 on June 03, 2018, 08:27:04 am by Jonathan »
If he’d have said “has the potential to be” then he’d probably be close to making a fair point. It’s a huge one club city. I can’t think of many that compare in that sense. But footballing wise they are clearly a million miles away right now and stuffing it up continually.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 03, 2018, 09:06:15 am by The Red Baron »
Last night on Sky Sports news, Fatty actually came out with this, "Leeds are one of the top 6 clubs in England, and one of the top 12 clubs in the world". Delusional doesn't even begin to describe him.

I realise this will sound like Leeds-bashing but I don't get where this  "massive club" business comes from.

True, they were the best team in England between about 1968 and 1975, although they never won as many trophies as they should have done (Derby County won the League title as many times as Leeds did in that period). Since then they have had spells where they have been in the top five or six, although they haven't been for about 15 years.

The one city club thing is also a bit of an illusion. Leeds is fundamentally a rugby town (like Hull, Huddersfield etc) and so the football club isn't in as dominant a position as it is in say, Newcastle. Indeed, one could argue that Newcastle has the potential to be a far bigger club than Leeds, although both suffer from chronic mismanagement.

It does all make me glad I'm a Rovers fan and I can enjoy watching my team punching above its weight from time to time without having to consider where we stand on some global scale of "massive clubs" (can also be read as "massively underachieving clubs.")

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 03, 2018, 10:08:45 am by idler »
He's probably hoping to put himself in the frame as a future manager.
He was always very complimentary about the Rovers and I always thought that he fancied the job as our manager.
15 years ago he would have had a good squad and decent budget with us. How he would have left us is another matter.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 03, 2018, 10:47:00 am by RedJ »
Can't see that being the case, he's been there and got the P45.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 03, 2018, 12:02:45 pm by Copps is Magic »
Leeds are a lifetime away from anywhere near the top 12 clubs in the world. Their attendances barely scrape into the top 50 in Europe. And that's only Europe. The 10th, 11th, and 12th placed clubs in Europe in  terms of attendances in 2017 were Celtic, Liverpool, and Manchester City. Leeds are at least one generation away from matching any of those clubs in terms of history, size, stature, football. Manchester City (maybe at one time on par with Leeds) have in the meantime racked up the financial support of a nation-state and two extra league titles over Leeds.

It's simple, there are 24 teams (edit 32, is it now?) in the champions league. To claim you're European elite you need to be regularly in that list and Leeds have been there once in 26 years.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:21:56 pm by Copps is Magic »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 03, 2018, 12:22:16 pm by RoversAlias »
He's probably hoping to put himself in the frame as a future manager.
He was always very complimentary about the Rovers and I always thought that he fancied the job as our manager.
15 years ago he would have had a good squad and decent budget with us. How he would have left us is another matter.

He's already had the job so it's probably more a case of him taking on that self-centred sense of "We are the mighty Leeds" when he was there.

There's been a number of clubs in the last decade odd whose fans (not all of them of course, but to a general perception) have clung dearly on to their side's past glories in order to try and laud it over us small clubs when we've outperformed them. Leeds are probably top of the list but just off the top of my head I can recall similar views being espoused by the likes of Nottingham Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday when we've proven ourselves, for example, better than them in games and in league seasons.

The fact is football is cyclical, so we can't truly hang our hats on any one club being 'massive' or not based on anything other than the current climate. Well currently, Leeds United are very much an also-ran Championship side who haven't tasted any real success since 2001, have an ageing stadium and have been mismanaged so badly by several different owners that they are currently still a long, long way away from returning to their former glories.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 03, 2018, 09:32:37 pm by idler »
According to today's Sunday People Leeds saved £500,000 by waiting until the 1st of June to sack him. PH had a clause entitling him to £1m if he was sacked before then.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 03, 2018, 09:34:17 pm by drfchound »
According to today's Sunday People Leeds saved £500,000 by waiting until the 1st of June to sack him. PH had a clause entitling him to £1m if he was sacked before then.

So does that mean PH only got a half a million pounds pay off?
I bet he is gutted.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 03, 2018, 10:02:07 pm by idler »
I'm sure he expected it. He apparently told a mate that he was a dead man walking before going on holiday.
He suppose that in that job he had been from day one though.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 04, 2018, 05:31:23 pm by PDX_Rover »
By definition they're one of the top 44 teams in England.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 04, 2018, 05:35:27 pm by NickDRFC »
I'm sure he expected it. He apparently told a mate that he was a dead man walking before going on holiday.
He suppose that in that job he had been from day one though.

I know someone who used to work for the owner, apparently he’s pretty hot headed and he fired my mate several times before deciding he next day it was an over reaction and telling him that he was sorry, it was heat of the moment and that he was still very happy with him. Probably the same with the football managers except by the time the papers get hold of it’s too late to do an about turn

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 04, 2018, 10:46:41 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Mods - can we delete this thread. Given present circumstances it's simply toooo disturbing seeing the thread title  :cold:

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 05, 2018, 07:42:07 am by Cantley Rover »
He is probably the manager we all hate when he brings teams to play us but how many of us wouldn't want him as our manager. I for one should be quite happy with his passion managing our club.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 05, 2018, 07:53:27 am by Filo »
He is probably the manager we all hate when he brings teams to play us but how many of us wouldn't want him as our manager. I for one should be quite happy with his passion managing our club.

I agree, most of us think he's a complete t**t, but you can't knock his record at this level

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 05, 2018, 07:58:23 am by dickos1 »
He has a good record at league 2 level, his record at league 1 level isn’t anything special
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:53:12 am by dickos1 »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 05, 2018, 09:15:44 am by RedJ »
He has a good record at league 2 level, his record at league 1 level isn’t nothing special

So.. it is something special.. or?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 05, 2018, 11:13:28 am by RoversAlias »
Cannot stand him and wouldn't want him anywhere near this club.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 05, 2018, 02:51:19 pm by southwestexile »
only just in the top 12 teams in Yorkshire for me

:woot:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 05, 2018, 03:26:13 pm by IDM »
There are some managers who don't come across very well but who are actually very effective.  I don't like Evans much as I don't like Colin, but both would do a good job with us.  Cotterill however is another kettle of fish, not a chance as long as I have a hole in my arse.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 05, 2018, 03:39:32 pm by swintonrover »
There are some managers who don't come across very well but who are actually very effective.  I don't like Evans much as I don't like Colin, but both would do a good job with us.  Cotterill however is another kettle of fish, not a chance as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Colin might be controversial, but he is honest and I would trust him.

Cotterill is a first class prick.

Fatty Evans is corrupt, and i dont want him anywhere the club. Same as Mark Wright, Graham Westley or Mark Weaver.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012