Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:23:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Russ Wilcox  (Read 6347 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Russ Wilcox
« on June 05, 2018, 07:02:12 am by selby »
  I would have thought that his present position with the club would be a reason for him to take the reigns temporarily.
  It is a critical time of the year for attracting new players, and at least he is the person who knows where we are in that regard.
  He also has a little experience as a manager at other clubs so is experienced of being in charge. Could he be a long term target, or even interested in taking charge?
   If Fergie does get another club, it will be interesting what happens with the backroom staff. They have been part of the off field revolution that has been a success, will Strachan  up sticks? would he take the reigns? if nothing else it is interesting times.
   It is never dull at this club.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Russ Wilcox
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2018, 07:29:38 am by dickos1 »
I’d imagine Ferguson would take his staff to wherever he ends up next

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 05, 2018, 07:40:17 am by dickos1 »
Id be surprised if Wilcox stayed.
He and Ferguson had a list of players they wanted to attempt to sign in January but were told by the board they couldn’t sign them.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 05, 2018, 08:13:03 am by esdailles left foot »
  I would have thought that his present position with the club would be a reason for him to take the reigns temporarily.
  It is a critical time of the year for attracting new players, and at least he is the person who knows where we are in that regard.
  He also has a little experience as a manager at other clubs so is experienced of being in charge. Could he be a long term target, or even interested in taking charge?
   If Fergie does get another club, it will be interesting what happens with the backroom staff. They have been part of the off field revolution that has been a success, will Strachan  up sticks? would he take the reigns? if nothing else it is interesting times.

It was under Fergie

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 05, 2018, 08:38:52 am by Chris Black come back »
He and Ferguson had a list of players they wanted to attempt to sign in January but were told by the board they couldn’t sign them.

If it was a “long list” in January then it does not say much for his summer recruitment really, given only a fool would try and reconfigure his squad in the sellers’ market that is the January window.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 05, 2018, 08:42:52 am by dickos1 »
Managers obviously don’t just have one name on a list they need alternatives in case they don’t get their top targets.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 05, 2018, 08:56:05 am by selby »
  I don't think that Fergie is the type of person that takes everyone along with him, a certain few yes, and we should be recompensed for them.
  But at the moment Fergie has no job, although with the hint on the MK Dons forum dated the 20th of May he has applied for that job while employed with us.
  I rate his off field improvements of the club 8 out of ten, his on field only a 4 out of ten, he is dogmatic, has poor man management skills, and there have been times when blokes in the stands would have reacted quicker to on field problems, so I am not fussed about him going.
   The timing, and way he is going, throwing all the blame on our board leaves a bad taste, after backing him when he took us down, confirms my thoughts about him. I wish him well apart from any meetings we have with his teams in the future, but we must resolve our own problems he has given us as quickly as possible, so if any of the backroom are going with him they need to go now, and give us a chance to get on with things.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 05, 2018, 10:47:34 am by drfchound »
  I don't think that Fergie is the type of person that takes everyone along with him, a certain few yes, and we should be recompensed for them.
  But at the moment Fergie has no job, although with the hint on the MK Dons forum dated the 20th of May he has applied for that job while employed with us.
  I rate his off field improvements of the club 8 out of ten, his on field only a 4 out of ten, he is dogmatic, has poor man management skills, and there have been times when blokes in the stands would have reacted quicker to on field problems, so I am not fussed about him going.
   The timing, and way he is going, throwing all the blame on our board leaves a bad taste, after backing him when he took us down, confirms my thoughts about him. I wish him well apart from any meetings we have with his teams in the future, but we must resolve our own problems he has given us as quickly as possible, so if any of the backroom are going with him they need to go now, and give us a chance to get on with things.

That is a decent enough summary selby.
I am with you on this.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 05, 2018, 11:27:28 am by RoversAlias »

I don't agree with that. No idea what happened in January but Wilcox doesn't strike me as a Fergie underling, he was brought in to fill a new role and has the club connection.

Gavin Strachan will almost certainly leave to go back to Fergie unless he wants another crack at management himself, but I think Wilcox will still be here next season. Also, we don't need anyone to take temporary charge because it's the first week of June. We need to appoint a successor as soon as is feasible and get on with the summer process.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 05, 2018, 11:33:57 am by ditch_drfc »
Just out of interest, what are the off field improvements? I know we don't seem to be so plagued by injuries these days, but I'm interested to see what else improved.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 05, 2018, 01:15:53 pm by selby »
  He has overseen an improvement in the training and medical back up, the pathway and training facilities for the youth team, reintroduced a second(development team).
  The pitches at Cantley, and the set up as a whole is better, and he has driven on other  things like scouting in our set up. The board have backed him all the way as far as I can see, its just  the modern way of I want MORE, MORE, MORE.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 05, 2018, 01:33:13 pm by since-1969 »
I’d imagine Ferguson would take his staff to wherever he ends up next
Would you follow him , or stay put and finish what youd started .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 05, 2018, 01:39:16 pm by dickos1 »
Depends
If I was close to him and enjoyed working with him I’d follow him.
If you stay who’s to say you don’t get sack anyway when the new manager arrives wanting his own staff

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 05, 2018, 01:43:44 pm by RoversAlias »
Liam Hoden has said the existing staff, Strachan included, are being expected to stay and the new manager should be willing to fit in with those existing staff members.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 05, 2018, 02:20:42 pm by dickos1 »
I’d be extremely surprised if strachan stayed

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 05, 2018, 02:24:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Liam Hoden has said the existing staff, Strachan included, are being expected to stay and the new manager should be willing to fit in with those existing staff members.
I suspect that's something put out by the club that keeps options open as staff consider their options, especially Strachan. Changing too much at *this* point would create instability.

Strachan could well be one of the top applicants for the managers post.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 05, 2018, 02:26:21 pm by RoversAlias »
Off the top of my head the most important staff members are all definitely not people wedded firmly to Fergie. Strachan I'm not so sure on but can anyone really see Russ Wilcox or Paul Gerrard joining him if he joined another club this summer? I can't really.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 05, 2018, 02:26:46 pm by GazLaz »
I’d be extremely surprised if strachan stayed

He won’t stay.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 05, 2018, 02:28:27 pm by dickos1 »
Ferguson picked strachan, they’d worked together at Peterborough.
Plus the new manager will definitely want his own assistant

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 05, 2018, 02:30:00 pm by GazLaz »
He won’t resign just yet if there’s a chance he could get paid off.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 05, 2018, 02:30:28 pm by selby »
  R.A. as far as I am concerned that is good news if true, the less upset at this point the better.
  Like Dickos I would be surprised if Strachan stays, but pleased, as he seems a decent enough guy, and does a decent job as far as I can see, and is approachable and pleasant to talk to.
  We need as little disruption to ourselves as possible in the circumstances. 

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 05, 2018, 03:07:43 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Not allowing a new manager to bring in his own assistant is naive and a recipe for disaster.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 05, 2018, 03:09:48 pm by Filo »
Not allowing a new manager to bring in his own assistant is naive and a recipe for disaster.

For once I agree with you

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 05, 2018, 06:35:53 pm by Jonathan »

I don’t know, Steve Wignall and Alan Lewer went well.... ;-)

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 05, 2018, 07:10:37 pm by essexrover »

That is a decent enough summary selby.
I am with you on this.
Ditto  :)

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 05, 2018, 07:23:40 pm by BigH »

I don’t know, Steve Wignall and Alan Lewer went well.... ;-)
The Chuckle Brothers without the star quality and charisma...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 05, 2018, 08:56:33 pm by RedJ »
They were about as funny as the Chuckle Brothers.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 05, 2018, 09:14:10 pm by PDX_Rover »

It was under Fergie

Is this factual?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 05, 2018, 09:19:55 pm by ravenrover »
As factual as most things on here are..........not very

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 05, 2018, 09:24:00 pm by The Red Baron »
Gavin Strachan will be on his way as soon as Fergie lands another job. However it makes sense for now to let him stay in post and not have to pay him compo.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012