Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:19:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Been working late the last couple of nights...  (Read 2044 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Been working late the last couple of nights...
« on June 05, 2018, 11:36:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
...so I’ve not had any time to do any research.

But.

Something sounds odd to me.

How many times have you heard of a manager resigning at this level because they didn’t get the backing of the Board?

Especially a Board which has (as a matter of legal, public record) had years of subsidising the club to the tune of seven figures per year.

It’s truly a three pipe problem.

It’s less of a problem to work out why the usual suspects take every word from Ferguson as Gospel and jump (again) to the conclusion that the Board are strangling the club to death.

If Bramall had walked to Madrid to carry Gareth Bale on his back all the way to the Keepmoat and offered him a bath in 1879 ale every night to sign for us, there’d still be some whining that he didn’t stump up the money to sign a player who could score by blocking throws from the keeper.

Lads. Stop and ask yourselves. Has every word you’ve ever heard from a departing manager always ended up being true? Have a think.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Been working late the last couple of nights...
« Reply #1 on June 05, 2018, 11:59:23 pm by since-1969 »
Fergie thought he was held in high esteem. But look what the board thought .
1) Got Rovers relegated
2) Got promoted but lost possible L2 title finished 3rd chased over rated Grant .
3) Messed up following season with players on high salaries not featuring but being paid anyway , brought in poor loans Houghton another Grant? Kongolo!
4) Every season he had ending with loss of form.
5) The clincher ....Shrewsbury on a lower budget then Rovers and pre season favourites to go down got to play offs.
Conclusion.. very nice man with large ego but not very good motivator for the players . Not hungry enough .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 06, 2018, 12:04:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
But. But.

He...resigned.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 06, 2018, 12:12:52 am by since-1969 »
He did ....I think he was giving a Lower  budget to persuad him to leave .   Will not be missed .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 06, 2018, 06:48:26 am by roversdude »
Does anyone know the budget ?

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 06, 2018, 06:56:27 am by hamiltonrover »
1) Got Rovers relegated
2) Got promoted but lost possible L2 title finished 3rd chased over rated Grant .
3) Messed up following season with players on high salaries not featuring but being paid anyway , brought in poor loans Houghton another Grant? Kongolo!
5) The clincher ....Shrewsbury on a lower budget then Rovers and pre season favourites to go down got to play offs.
Conclusion.. very nice man with large ego but not very good motivator for the players . Not hungry enough .

Whilst I agree with most of that, I would hardly describe Houghton as a poor loan.
One of the best I have seen at this level, however, he isn’t helped when played out of position on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 06, 2018, 06:57:36 am by GazLaz »
Will be about £3.2m.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 06, 2018, 07:12:11 am by dickos1 »
1) Got Rovers relegated

You seem to be missing the signings of
Wright, lawlor, Mason, marquis, whiteman.
All will go on to play at a higher level and make us money

Let’s hope the new manager is as good as identifying young talent, cause he will need to be

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 06, 2018, 07:28:15 am by The Red Baron »
BST

If you look back over the last few weeks, it's been clear that Fergie has been fighting a PR war. Look at all his statements about ambition, the size of the squad etc. Because our Board doesn't tend to conduct its business in public, Fergie has won the war by default. However, that is all he has won. His public utterances don't seem to have succeeded in getting him what he wants, which I'm guessing is a playing budget on a par with Wigan's from last season. So he's walked.

Now comes phase 2 of the PR war- to persuade everyone not privy to the internal workings of the club that he had no choice but to go. It will probably do him no harm when he applies for his next job. But of course it has made some Rovers fans think he's had a bum deal.

My take on Fergie is basically this - we've had worse managers than him and better ones too. He's done some good work behind the scenes and has made the club more professional than it was when he arrived. But he's also played some dreary football, constantly played players out of position and has shown the same failings at the end of each season. He's also given extended contracts to several players only to bin them a short time later (something which will have gone down badly in the boardroom).

I would have got behind him had he stayed, although I can't say I was greatly looking forward to next season's fare. But I won't shed any tears that he's gone. We can do better.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:35:38 am by The Red Baron »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 06, 2018, 07:45:05 am by Pancho Regan »
An excellent summary TRB, with which I agree completely

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 06, 2018, 08:10:55 am by pib »
Agree with that TRB.

He got us moving in the right direction but if we get the right manager in now it could turn out to be a great set of circumstances for Rovers’ prospects on the pitch.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 06, 2018, 08:20:55 am by Silkscarf »
TRB - spot on summary of the position. I'd be interested to see what proportion of Rovers fans agree with it. I suspect about 85%.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 06, 2018, 08:45:18 am by Bentley Bullet »
1) Got Rovers relegated

You seem to be missing the signings of
Wright, lawlor, Mason, marquis, whiteman.
All will go on to play at a higher level and make us money

Let’s hope the new manager is as good as identifying young talent, cause he will need to be

At a higher level with us?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 06, 2018, 09:17:19 am by idler »
I also wonder if Copps was being used as a bargaining chip. DF telling the board he wanted Copps but needed more money to allow this knowing the fans wishes to keep him.
t the end of the day we are all guessing and will probably never know the full story. If the board had sanctioned the signing of Taylor on mega bucks last year I think that we would have regretted it and maybe reflects DF's view on a budget.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012