Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:26:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Want & Expect  (Read 8558 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Want & Expect
« on June 09, 2018, 01:20:43 pm by Canadian Rover »
Yep...another Manager thread. Realistically if it was your choice who would you want as our next manager and who do you expect we will get?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Want & Expect
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2018, 01:27:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
Going to hijack this early doors. Aside from Ian Snodin there has not been a Rovers manager appointed in 30 years when I have sat up and felt genuinely enthused. Some of those appointments have turned out to be word beaters, others panel beaters. Tough to gauge someone at outset.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2018, 01:47:56 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't truly think many appointments in world football are genuinely exciting.

What I want is a manager with the right attitude, a defined football-based playing style and, ideally, some experience of success whatever that may be. Fergie definitely ticked two of those three boxes, the third (attitude) did not endear him to many.

So the likes of Grayson or McCall fit the bill for me. Otherwise, someone I know has the right character, be that a Coppinger type or someone else.

What do I expect? I expect an appointment where we all say "that's not too surprising" but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Any of the above could be that person.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2018, 01:49:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
I am setting bar quite low initially. Give me someone please who plays players in right position, in a formation that looks and performs cohesively and, most of all, some proper backbone. We can then build from there and talk about good football, flair and goals.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2018, 02:30:33 pm by rtid88 »
I would have been genuinely excited by Tisdale but we were obviously too late for that one.

Of the other current free managers none of the names particularly excite me. Though I am sure there are a few that will potentially do a great job i.e. Grayson, McCall and Heckingbottom.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 09, 2018, 02:38:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
I do not want to be small-minded about this but NO WAY should we be employing the Dingle lad, especially as he has come straight from Leeds. He needs a good few years of decontamination before he can be considered. Just too much.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:23:34 pm by Chris Black come back »

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2018, 04:55:47 pm by Cantley Rover »
Going to hijack this early doors. Aside from Ian Snodin there has not been a Rovers manager appointed in 30 years when I have sat up and felt genuinely enthused. Some of those appointments have turned out to be word beaters, others panel beaters. Tough to gauge someone at outset.

We did it the wrong way round too. Glynn should have been manager with Ian his assistant.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 09, 2018, 08:30:39 pm by RugbyRover »
What I want is for Fergie and the board to kiss and make up. I still can't believe we are going back to square one with a new manager who will want to build his own squad. I really was looking forward to next season. I thought it would be case of getting rid of Williams, Evina, and Alcock ,pooling the saved wages and blowing the lot on one quality striker. I really don't see any winners in Fergie leaving. I don't see him getting a better job than the one he just ditched, and I don't see us getting anyone as good as him.
I expect that is not going to happen. I just hope we manage to get a decent guy who has the same honesty and passion that Fergie displayed.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 09, 2018, 09:06:38 pm by Lifelong supporter »

We did it the wrong way round too. Glynn should have been manager with Ian his assistant.

If Grayson didn't want it I'd go with Glynn if he applies.
He's worked at top level and been assistant manager of Northern Ireland.
A mate who knew them both from Leeds reckoned Grayson wouldn't have been as successful as he has if he didn't have Snodin alongside him.
And nobody would be more passionate about doing his best for the club.   

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 09, 2018, 09:21:04 pm by bpoolrover »
What I want is for Fergie and the board to kiss and make up. I still can't believe we are going back to square one with a new manager who will want to build his own squad. I really was looking forward to next season. I thought it would be case of getting rid of Williams, Evina, and Alcock ,pooling the saved wages and blowing the lot on one quality striker. I really don't see any winners in Fergie leaving. I don't see him getting a better job than the one he just ditched, and I don't see us getting anyone as good as him.
I expect that is not going to happen. I just hope we manage to get a decent guy who has the same honesty and passion that Fergie displayed.
1 forward was never going to be enough, for me the midfield was poor last season not enough flair and not enough clear cut chances created, blowing most of budget on a forward would leave us in the same position as this year

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 09, 2018, 09:44:53 pm by RugbyRover »
we missed loads and loads of chances last year. none of our "support" strikers were good enough. If we had had a genuine goal scoring partner for Marquis we would have made the play offs easy. just needed to turn half of those draws into wins and we would have been sorted.

Its the same as half the teams in the division. Nothing much separates them. They all just need that star striker. 

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 09, 2018, 09:45:34 pm by mushRTID »
Want Grayson.

Expect Redfearn.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 09, 2018, 09:54:11 pm by Retdon1 »
From those names linked so far

Want Chris Coleman

Expect Stuart McCall

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 09, 2018, 10:07:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Want - Brendan Rodgers
Expect- Ginger Rodgers

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 09, 2018, 10:40:16 pm by Draytonian III »
Cantley Rover hit it spot on , nothing against either of the brothers, Ian was the best player I’ve ever seen play for our team

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 09, 2018, 10:45:55 pm by Chris Black come back »

He was not much cop and the Board realised that as well. Time to move on bro.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 10, 2018, 01:04:28 am by RedJ »
Imagine thinking the likes of Stuart McCall aren't as good as Darren Ferguson.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 10, 2018, 06:44:17 am by dickos1 »
Aye imagine
One has won 3 promotions and the other has won 0

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 10, 2018, 07:31:11 am by Silkscarf »
Want = Kevin Keegan. It's realistic as I think he has this one last job in him and has mentioned it in the past. Depends what he's up to these days. But we don't have money to throw around so it won't happen. But it may happen one day and would be great fun for a while and put us in the national spotlight.

Expect = Stuart McCall or someone of similar calibre or potential to achieve that. Fine by me. Glad to have got shut of Fergie and we have the makings of a decent side.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 10, 2018, 07:46:57 am by drfchound »
You can’t get promotion from the top division.
McCall has top two and top three finishes in the SPL to his name which is effectively as good as a promotion.
He has no relegations on his CV either.
Also there is the added bonus of being a coach at International level so it could be argued that the has a more impressive coaching and managerial record than DF.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 10, 2018, 07:59:37 am by dickos1 »
I’m not slagging McCall off, I wouldn’t be disappointed if he got the job.
But I certainly don’t think he’s a far better manager than Ferguson, he’s managed hundreds of games in league one and league two and been amongst the favourites each year to get promoted but has never achieved it.

Also lots of managers have done well in Scotland over the last ten years or so but they’ve come down here and struggled.

Saunders was an international coach, but he didn’t manage to win the majority of fans over when he came here
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:02:11 am by dickos1 »

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 10, 2018, 08:20:31 am by Boomstick »
Want : grayson 
Expect : mcall

Id be delighted with Grayson
Id not be unhappy with mcall

Quite like something completely different like Paul scholes

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 10, 2018, 08:22:36 am by drfchound »
If you look back at the managerial histories of SM and DF there is a notable difference in improvement.

DF had his golden years with Posh between 2007 and 2009 with a win percentage of 50.3%.
Since then he has averaged 34.67%.
That shows a significant decline.

McCall on the other hand had a 34.6% win percentage in his first job between 2007 and 2010.
Since then he has upped that to an average of 43.17% and his last job showed his best spell of 45.8%.

Stats of course can be misleading but it does look as though McCall is on the up and showing signs of learning well and improving.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 10, 2018, 08:25:30 am by Scooter »
Want : grayson 
Expect : mcall

Id be delighted with Grayson
Id not be unhappy with mcall

Quite like something completely different like Paul scholes

Scholes is a great shout. Now Gerrard and Lampard have stepped into management surely it’s his turn next

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 10, 2018, 08:26:33 am by dickos1 »
As you say stats are misleading, at the beginning of Ferguson’s career he was in league 2 and then when his win % dropped he would’ve been in the championship.
No issue with McCall but there’s nothing to suggest he’s a far better manager than Ferguson. And I think Ferguson will get the better job out of the two next.
Which would go to show that Fergie is well thought of within the game .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 10, 2018, 08:29:57 am by drfchound »
As you say stats are misleading, at the beginning of Ferguson’s career he was in league 2 and then when his win % dropped he would’ve been in the championship.
No issue with McCall but there’s nothing to suggest he’s a far better manager than Ferguson. And I think Ferguson will get the better job out of the two next.
Which would go to show that Fergie is well thought of within the game .

Well, I actually said that stats CAN be misleading.
Some people make very good livings by producing them so there has to be some store in them.
To be fair, yes I guess that DF is well thought of within football but I suspect that is also true of McCall.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:19:14 pm by drfchound »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 10, 2018, 08:45:22 am by Chris Black come back »
McCall’s dad is not Sir Alex Ferguson.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 10, 2018, 09:49:43 am by Bentley Bullet »
Want - Stuart McCall

Expect - Davina McCall

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 10, 2018, 09:54:22 am by Jonathan »
I’ve listened to Scholes numerous times as a pundit, and on that basis I struggle to see what he would bring to a managerial role other than his name and his brilliant playing history. He offers very little insight and has zero charisma so it’s hard to see how he would get his ideas across. I suppose you could make a case for the fact that players would want to impress him, but that should be a minimum expected standard anyway.

Superb footballer without a doubt, but that doesn’t make him a good manager and it’s not an appointment that would excite me.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 10, 2018, 10:15:01 am by Scooter »
I’ve listened to Scholes numerous times as a pundit, and on that basis I struggle to see what he would bring to a managerial role other than his name and his brilliant playing history. He offers very little insight and has zero charisma so it’s hard to see how he would get his ideas across. I suppose you could make a case for the fact that players would want to impress him, but that should be a minimum expected standard anyway.

Superb footballer without a doubt, but that doesn’t make him a good manager and it’s not an appointment that would excite me.

Fair point but maybe he isn’t comfortable on camera. Maybe on a training ground when he can say what he likes might work

TinyPortal © 2005-2012