Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:28:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Want & Expect  (Read 8559 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Want & Expect
« Reply #30 on June 10, 2018, 10:19:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
The trouble with someone like Scholes managing lower league players is it's a bit like Pavarotti teaching Jedwood to sing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 10, 2018, 10:39:57 am by ravenrover »
Have we discounted any manager who is still employed? Do you think the board would be prepared to buy out the right man if he was still with another club? Would that then affect the playing budget?
What I want is anyone other than the usual previously failed suspects, but I realise it probably won't happen.
What I do want is a manager who can recognise areas that need strengthening even if it is only a couple of players coming in ie a proper mester in midfield to allow the flair players to do their job, and a striker to take a bit of pressure off JM - if he is still with us come August.
Anything else would be a bonus

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 10, 2018, 12:05:26 pm by Cantley Rover »
Have we discounted any manager who is still employed? Do you think the board would be prepared to buy out the right man if he was still with another club? Would that then affect the playing budget?
What I want is anyone other than the usual previously failed suspects, but I realise it probably won't happen.
What I do want is a manager who can recognise areas that need strengthening even if it is only a couple of players coming in ie a proper mester in midfield to allow the flair players to do their job, and a striker to take a bit of pressure off JM - if he is still with us come August.
Anything else would be a bonus

If someone is interviewed for the job and is subsequently offered the job, would we have to pay compensation if he resigns before accepting?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 10, 2018, 12:25:50 pm by Lesonthewest »
Grayson & Glynn would be my first choice.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 10, 2018, 12:25:59 pm by RedJ »
You'd imagine the club he'd resigned from would have no right to anything, as the contract he signed would be terminated upon his resignation.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 10, 2018, 02:32:34 pm by Wild Rover »
I know he has no managerial experience as such ( only as No.2) but if Glynn was to separate from his long time manager, he would be a good appointment.

If not and they have to come as a pair, so be it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 10, 2018, 03:18:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Want - Terry Butcher
Expect - Pat Butcher

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 10, 2018, 03:25:49 pm by since-1969 »
I don’t won’t either !!!!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 10, 2018, 03:33:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Want - Imre Varadi
Expect - Olly Varadi

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 10, 2018, 03:49:35 pm by since-1969 »
Want Bentley Continental
Expect Bentley Bullet

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 10, 2018, 03:59:11 pm by Derby Viking »
Mark Warburton would be my choice - good record with Brentford and Rangers and even fairly good with a really poor Forest team

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 10, 2018, 04:47:40 pm by RoversAlias »
The discussion in this thread between Dickos and Hound demonstrates to me exactly why none of us can accurately nail down whether one manager is better than another based on any kind of stats comparison. Context is so important as is perception of these things.

I think both McCall and Ferguson have shown in their careers that they are good managers. Different types, yes, but both good nonetheless.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 10, 2018, 05:05:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Every manager is better the more money he has to spend. I'd like to see how the likes of Pep Guadiola would get on in league one with a budget similar to Rovers.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 10, 2018, 05:11:52 pm by RedJ »
Every manager is better the more money he has to spend. I'd like to see how the likes of Pep Guadiola would get on in league one with a budget similar to Rovers.

Not necessarily. If you spend big money on average or worse players all you're doing is wasting a bigger budget.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 10, 2018, 05:18:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Better with a budget that might be wasted than no budget at all. It's the difference between having a chance and having no chance. I wasted two quid on the lottery last night, but I had to be in it to win it.

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 10, 2018, 05:18:42 pm by AlonzoDrake »
Could someone please post a link to the latest betting odds on Skybet.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 10, 2018, 05:37:40 pm by RedJ »
Better with a budget that might be wasted than no budget at all. It's the difference between having a chance and having no chance. I wasted two quid on the lottery last night, but I had to be in it to win it.

Good thing we do spend money on players' wages then or we'd have no players and no chance of winning games, eh.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 10, 2018, 05:46:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yep, and if I'd bought TWO lottery tickets I'd have had twice the chance of winning.

RedJ, do you think Pep Guadiola's Manchester City would have won the league if they hadn't spent massively?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 10, 2018, 05:56:18 pm by Jonathan »

Surely having “no budget at all” is the root of all the reckless spending that gets clubs into trouble.

I’m glad that we have a budget. A sensible budget.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 10, 2018, 06:13:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Who's saying we haven't? I'm merely pointing out that every manager is better the more money he has to spend. As an example of this I said I'd like to see how Pep Guadiola would get on in league one with a similar budget to Rovers.

I was suggesting that no matter who we get as manager he will only be as good as his budget allows.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 10, 2018, 06:15:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
You'd imagine the club he'd resigned from would have no right to anything, as the contract he signed would be terminated upon his resignation.

They'd have a right to expect something from the person breaking their contract by not giving proper notice.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 10, 2018, 06:37:51 pm by Jonathan »
I wouldn’t say that whoever we get will only be as good as the budget allows. The quality of the manager, and the management of that budget, is crucial.

It goes without saying that having more money to spend helps. But there are other variables too.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 10, 2018, 06:51:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wouldn't you? I would. Of course, nobody wants someone who isn't up to the job, and if we get someone who isn't it's the fault of those who gave him the job in the first place.

Assuming they trust the new man to make us a sustainable Championship club in 3 years, the more money made available to him to achieve it the more chance of it happening.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 10, 2018, 07:01:58 pm by Cantley Rover »

They'd have a right to expect something from the person breaking their contract by not giving proper notice.

Yes from the Manager not us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 10, 2018, 08:13:31 pm by scawsby steve »
I wonder if the new manager is offered a better playing budget than what Fergie was offered.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on June 10, 2018, 09:01:06 pm by ravenrover »
Why should he be?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 10, 2018, 09:10:43 pm by dickos1 »
Well some people were suggesting the board wanted him to leave so offered him a smaller budget.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 10, 2018, 09:57:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Want - Gilles de bilde
Expect - Bob de bilde

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 10, 2018, 10:01:17 pm by Canadian Rover »
Want - Gilles de bilde
Expect - Bob de bilde