Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wilks and Kane  (Read 2363 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Wilks and Kane
« on April 28, 2019, 10:06:20 am by Chris Black come back »
Some context on these guys.

Kane and Wilks both started this season as teenagers. Kane had never played a single first team game ever and Wilks had started a grand total of 7 first team games, all in League Two.

For us this season Wilks has started 41 games and Kane 36 games in League One.

These lads have had a very steep learning curves and done a cracking job. Very bright futures in the game...probably not with us though!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Wilks and Kane
« Reply #1 on April 28, 2019, 10:22:19 am by Campsall rover »
You never know we might get them again next season.
Every chance if we get promoted. Although I can’t see Leeds letting Wilks play against them if we are both in the same League.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 28, 2019, 10:23:17 am by Padge_DRFC »
Leeds would be stupid to sell Wilks bright future that lad

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 28, 2019, 10:28:39 am by since-1969 »
Both Kane and Wilks are running on empty and have both achieved more than we could have hoped for from young untried players on loan . Without their input we would have been mid table . But to expect them to achieve any more would be unappreciative of what they have done so far . L1 is where we will be next season IMO as I don’t think we have enough in the tank from  our squad over all .So Onwards and upwards !

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 28, 2019, 11:14:18 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Kane and Wilks both started this season as teenagers. Kane had never played a single first team game ever and Wilks had started a grand total of 7 first team games, all in League Two.

These lads have had a very steep learning curves and done a cracking job. Very bright futures in the game...probably not with us though!

Appearances and goals by club, season and competition Club    Season    League    FA Cup    League Cup    Other    Total
Division    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals

Leeds United    2016–17[36]    Championship    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    1    0

Accrington Stanley (loan)    2017–18[37]    League Two    18    3    1    0    0    0    4[a]    2    23    5

Grimsby Town (loan)    2017–18[38]    League Two    4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    4    0

Career total    22    3    2    0    0    0    4    2    28    5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallik_Wilks

wilks has played 18 for Accrington 4 for Grimsby and played once for Leeds in the Facup  -- i checked him out about a month ago

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 28, 2019, 11:44:29 am by RoversAlias »
Both been brilliant, many comments on here last summer said we should be signing more experienced players, and that it meant we had no money or ambition.

Now, I doubt anyone would trade these two for another in their position in this division. I hope they both go on to bright futures at a high level because they have all the attributes to do so.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 28, 2019, 01:14:45 pm by Chris Black come back »

Appearances and goals by club, season and competition Club    Season    League    FA Cup    League Cup    Other    Total
Division    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals    Apps    Goals

Leeds United    2016–17[36]    Championship    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    1    0

Accrington Stanley (loan)    2017–18[37]    League Two    18    3    1    0    0    0    4[a]    2    23    5

Grimsby Town (loan)    2017–18[38]    League Two    4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    4    0

Career total    22    3    2    0    0    0    4    2    28    5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallik_Wilks

wilks has played 18 for Accrington 4 for Grimsby and played once for Leeds in the Facup  -- i checked him out about a month ago

Yes - but that is not what I said. He had started the number of games I stated. Difference both in terms of actual minutes and as importantly the responsibility, of starting a game. For a young lad being there when whistle blows is different to coming on as an impact sub for 10 or 20 mins. We have asked him to start just about every league game this season.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:20:09 pm by Chris Black come back »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 28, 2019, 01:15:48 pm by roversdude »
It amazes me sometimes - Wilks has had unwarranted abuse on here despite the fact he is still learning his trade. I rate him very highly, however I’m not sure he has a future at Leeds if you look at the players in front of him (I’m convinced that they will dip into the market rather than blood a young player). Hopefully that leaves the door open for a transfer. Kane I fear may end up at Rangers

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 28, 2019, 05:27:12 pm by KieronDRFC »
It amazes me sometimes - Wilks has had unwarranted abuse on here despite the fact he is still learning his trade. I rate him very highly, however I’m not sure he has a future at Leeds if you look at the players in front of him (I’m convinced that they will dip into the market rather than blood a young player). Hopefully that leaves the door open for a transfer. Kane I fear may end up at Rangers

I agree.  :thumbsup:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 28, 2019, 05:43:01 pm by Campsall rover »

I agree.  :thumbsup:
Kane may as well stay in League 1 as that is the standard of most Scottish premier teams.
He needs to play at Championship level preferably with us.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2019, 07:04:39 pm by Jonathan »
Wilks is the one that I feel we’d have a chance of getting back here and I hope we do everything possible to make it happen. He’s been superb and will get better and better. He seems to love it here too.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2019, 07:31:02 pm by BigH »

For me, Kane has been a revelation this season.

Yes, it's catching up with him a bit now but, when you consider his lack of any first team experience when he arrived, for him to be a stand-out player for much of the season speaks volumes.

Steer clear of injury and I can see him being given a first team chance at Liverpool within a couple of years. Next year he'll be at one of the bigger Championship clubs (hopefully, avoiding the circus that is Rangers).

For us to have been part of his footballing education has been a privilege. All credit to McCann for persuading Liverpool to let him come to us. Thanks Herbie lad, it's been an absolute honour.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 29, 2019, 04:54:31 am by Alan Southstand »
Of the two, Kane has been inspirational and has made us a much better team, particularly when you consider the loans we had last season. Wilks is a powerful lad, but he needs to work on certain aspects of his game and he will also be some player. However, where Wilks is concerned, there is the small matter of a court case looming in the summer, which may scupper his progress, depending on the outcome of that.

I would be overjoyed if we could get both back next season, to continue their respective journeys.

Of the other loans we've had, only Downing has made a real impact and it's to be hoped we can persuade him to stay with us next season, whatever the division we're in.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 29, 2019, 05:46:50 am by roversdude »
I thought Cummins did ok but can’t recall if he was a loan or out of contract player

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 29, 2019, 05:48:41 am by Alan Southstand »
We gave Cummis a short term deal, as he wasn't contracted to anyone. We need better next season, much better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012