Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:12:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 82942 times)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #30 on June 15, 2018, 09:42:42 pm by dknward2 »
Typical hand a bet on Spain to win then when Portugal took the lead had them to at least cover my losses then they went and drew ffs

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 15, 2018, 10:11:22 pm by pib »
You have teams like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Morocco playing in the World Cup and the likes of Italy, Holland and chille sat at home. Should 5 teams from both Asia and Africa be awarded places. I can see the argument for both sides but the standard of football in the first 3 games has been awful.

I'd personally rather watch a variety of different quality teams from a variety of continents, than have a closed shop with all the so-called "top" nations in. It's what the World Cup is all about.

Yes some of the players/teams on show so far haven't been great, but can't really complain with the twists and turns that have been served up so far. A 5-0 thrashing, two last-gasp winners, and tonights Portugal-Spain thriller. It's not all about watching "total football" and every game being of breathtaking quality for me.

It's shaping up to be a brilliant tournament already.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 15, 2018, 10:30:03 pm by Retdon1 »
You have teams like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Morocco playing in the World Cup and the likes of Italy, Holland and chille sat at home. Should 5 teams from both Asia and Africa be awarded places. I can see the argument for both sides but the standard of football in the first 3 games has been awful.

I'd personally rather watch a variety of different quality teams from a variety of continents, than have a closed shop with all the so-called "top" nations in. It's what the World Cup is all about.

Yes some of the players/teams on show so far haven't been great, but can't really complain with the twists and turns that have been served up so far. A 5-0 thrashing, two last-gasp winners, and tonights Portugal-Spain thriller. It's not all about watching "total football" and every game being of breathtaking quality for me.

It Just got me thinking that the World Cup is ment to be the best of the best but theirs a few sides that are rovers level. I’m not complaining though, I like to see games like Sweden vs Columbia or Denmark vs Peru... I can remember when Senegal shocked the world and beat France In 2002.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 15, 2018, 11:08:37 pm by RedJ »
But it is the best of the best. The best countries as decided by qualifying tournaments from each of their respective confederations compete in the World Cup. There you go.

If the shite countries didn't get in, they'd have no incentive or ability to improve.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 15, 2018, 11:33:50 pm by dknward2 »
I think it’s great so far Iran top a group that contains Spain and Portugal haha brilliant hope they get though

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 16, 2018, 07:44:29 am by Donnywolf »

It could get worse (or better depending on peoples viewpoints) as the 2026 World Cup just "won" by the shared Nations Bid of USA Canada Mexico which will have 48 Teams in it.
2022 will remain as 32
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:46:53 am by Donnywolf »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 16, 2018, 07:50:08 am by GazLaz »

It Just got me thinking that the World Cup is ment to be the best of the best but theirs a few sides that are rovers level. I’m not complaining though, I like to see games like Sweden vs Columbia or Denmark vs Peru... I can remember when Senegal shocked the world and beat France In 2002.

Does the WC claim to be the best of the best though? It’s called the World Cup not the best of the best cup. I like to see teams from all over the world. The smaller countries getting to compete against the big boys is great for them. Look at Iran yesterday, Morocco were expected to beat them and they caused an upset.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 16, 2018, 10:18:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Every WC has its games that people will talk about in hushed tones in half a century.

Brazil vs Italy in 82.
France vs Brazil in 86.
Nothing in 90 because it was shite.
Romania vs Argentina in 94.
Netherlands vs Argentina in 98.
Etc.

I think we might have seen this year’s one last night. That was football as exhilarating as you could ever wish to see. And I cannot stand Ronaldo as a person, but he is undoubtedly the finest player of all time.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 16, 2018, 11:12:23 am by NickDRFC »
“Undoubtedly”. He is arguably the finest player of all time but I think there are plenty of doubts - Lionel Messi.

Was an unbelievable game last night though. I wouldn’t be disheartened as a Spain fan though - they’ve really laid a marker there and will be interesting to see how France & Argentina get on today as a comparison.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 16, 2018, 12:03:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ronaldo has a significant edge on Messi for me.

He has that ability to impose his will on situations which Messi has never done at the top international level. Last night was a career-defining performance. Portugal are a very ordinary side but Ronaldo made them match a superb Spain sidevthrough his own strength of will and ability. It was reminiscent of Maradona in 86 making a bang ordinary Argentina the world champions. Ronaldo did that to some extent in the Euros in 2016 but last night was a step up.

I’ve never seen Messi do that.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 16, 2018, 12:14:51 pm by The Red Baron »
I’d suggest neither side will get out of the group unless Russia were hiding some reserves of quality.

Russia will get out of the group because it is a very weak one. Always happens with the host nation.

They will lose in the Round of 16 unless they get lucky with their opponents though.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 16, 2018, 12:18:51 pm by swintonrover »

He has that ability to impose his will on situations which Messi has never done at the top international level. Last night was a career-defining performance. Portugal are a very ordinary side but Ronaldo made them match a superb Spain sidevthrough his own strength of will and ability. It was reminiscent of Maradona in 86 making a bang ordinary Argentina the world champions. Ronaldo did that to some extent in the Euros in 2016 but last night was a step up.

Messi is the only player to have scored competitively for Argentina since November 2016. Given their attacking talent (Aguero, Higuain, Dybala, Icardi, Di Maria) that is remarkable. He single handedly dragged Argentina to the World Cup. I remember watching their match v Ecuador which they needed to win to qualify. He rattled in a hat-trick. Ronaldo might be carrying Portugal, but Messi is carrying a far worse Argentina side.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 16, 2018, 02:58:23 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Iceland can make any team look bad. Here it is how great Iceland are playing  :bscarf:

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 16, 2018, 03:10:54 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Chaps lets not forget one thing. Before the Champions League (Cue 4 "champions" from England) we had the REAL European Cup not European super league, and we had such as Malta Hibernians vs Man Utd at T'Qali- the one pitch in Malta. If we embrace the FA Cup surely we embrace the underdog concept, and if teams from "lesser skilled nations" get their world cup dream then I have every support for them. They know they can't compete on a level playing field so lets get behind them. If we took that concept then Newcastle wouldn't have lost at Hereford?? Eh? 

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 16, 2018, 03:15:10 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Maradona rubbing his nose  :police: :police: :police:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 16, 2018, 03:57:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Love Iceland, class performance, exactly what I adore about the world cup. The Aussies were very unlucky earlier.

I make that Ronaldo 3 Messi -3  :laugh:

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 16, 2018, 05:16:50 pm by CottyRover »
Dodgy penalty decisions in both games. Even VAR doesn't always get it right

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 16, 2018, 05:18:04 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Ronaldo will be laughing his b*llocks off this weekend.

Disappointed in the Argies. France were poor aswell though to be honest. I thought the penalty in the France game was a penalty and also Argentina should’ve had a second penalty and would’ve if the referee had used his VAR.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 16, 2018, 05:26:34 pm by CottyRover »
I think there was enough doubt over the one given against the Aussies for it to be right not to give it

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 16, 2018, 05:29:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The Ronaldo show will take a bit of gloss off how good Spain were. Miles better side.

That’s the whole point of just what an astonishing performance it was from Ronaldo.

Spain’s players were performing at 8-9/10 across the piece. Portugal’s were 5-6/10. Apart from Ronaldo. He, on his own, made the two sides balanced.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 16, 2018, 09:35:55 pm by drfchound »
Just watching the Croatians get a penalty awarded and the commentators are making a big deal out of the fact that the defender had his arms around the Croation forward, saying what a stupid thing it is to do.

Don’t we see that week in week out at Rovers games?

There really should be more refs giving pens for stuff like this.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 16, 2018, 09:43:50 pm by chrisd_123 »
Just watching the Croatians get a penalty awarded and the commentators are making a big deal out of the fact that the defender had his arms around the Croation forward, saying what a stupid thing it is to do.

They have been over the last season or so, especially at the top level. I guess it just takes a while for it to filter down to the lower league refs, who, on the whole, are poor.

I remember they made a huge deal about it at the start of last season and loads were given in the premier league.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 16, 2018, 10:40:53 pm by pib »
Anyone else bored to tears by the Ronaldo v Messi debate?

Different players, both brilliant in different ways. Enjoy watching them both. Don't understand why people (not on here) get so partisan about it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 16, 2018, 11:35:39 pm by idler »
 Smalling does it at most set plays every week for Man Unt.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 17, 2018, 01:46:22 am by RoversAlias »

Agreed. The BBC commentator on the highlights programme basically said that it's the type of thing that isn't given often but many want to see it given more often. A nailed on penalty.

Five penalties awarded today in four games, two with VAR. One of those two (France) wasn't a penalty to me, but all the others were and Argentina probably should've had another too for the foul at the byline on Pavon.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 17, 2018, 02:52:54 am by scawsby steve »

Messi has such perfect balance that he can weave his way through a packed defence with the ball at either side of him.

I've never seen Ronaldo do that.

We can argue all day about who's best, because they both have different attributes; however, it was interesting to hear Ryan Giggs describing Messi as possibly the greatest player that's ever lived, especially when you consider that Giggsy was Ronaldo's team mate.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 17, 2018, 07:43:38 am by Donnywolf »
Smalling does it at most set plays every week for Man Unt.

I think you could have said "every set play". He just has to be the biggest offender at this "tactic". He would have conceded plenty of Penalties if the Refs were actually awarding them as they should

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 17, 2018, 05:12:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ive just see the way that England will b*llocks this up.

If Mexico beat Germany then its very hard for Getmany to win the group. That means one part of the draw opens right up.

Whoever finished second in England’s group will likely have Poland in R2 and maybe Mexico or Serbia in the QF.

Winners of England’s group would have maybe Colombia in R2 and Brazil in the QF.

You watch. England will go and win the bloody group...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:53:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 17, 2018, 05:13:11 pm by NickDRFC »
Tell ya what, even though it's not my favoured style, Mexico have been bloody excellent in that first half.

Some great diagonal balls, using the width, quick counter-attacks. Great to watch - and their goal was well deserved and long overdue. Shame they don't have more bite up top, otherwise they'd be 2 or 3-0 up.

Germany have got to go for it in the second half, but if they push up and chase the game too much, they might get picked off on another counter-attack.

One of the best games of the WC so far.

What exactly is your favoured style? 😂

You’re right though, Mexico have played really well but the BBC highlighted it perfectly at half time - their decision making when they broke wasn’t good enough. If the roles had been reversed and Ozil or Mueller had been in those positions they would have used the ball much more wisely.

Will be interesting to see what changes they make if it stays 1-0 for the next 10, 15 minutes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 17, 2018, 06:03:23 pm by selby »
  Typical Germany, get to the gates of Moscow and lose big time again he he.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012