Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:10:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

McCall or McCann?

McCall
109 (92.4%)
McCann
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Which ‘McC’ would you prefer as our new manager?  (Read 6278 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Which ‘McC’ would you prefer as our new manager?
« Reply #30 on June 26, 2018, 12:44:44 pm by RoversAlias »
He is Scottish to be fair, he was born in Leeds because his dad played for them at the time.

...so he's English, no?

That's a debate between background and upbringing I suppose, it's probably personal preference. If both my parents were English but I was born whilst they lived in, say, China, for work. Would I be Chinese? I'd class myself as English.

As it is both my parents are from Doncaster. McCall's parents are Scottish, he grew up in Leeds but considers himself a Scotsman I can only presume, due to his international allegiance as a player and a coach. So in this instance I'd say he's Scottish!

RA,  Going going temporary off topic but you raise a valid question that I personally have. I am obviously English, but my wife is Filipino and our son was born in Bahrain and holds a Bahraini birth certificate. So what nationality is he?

I suppose it's up to him (if and when he's old enough). Will he be entitled to either an English or Filipino passport as well?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 26, 2018, 12:59:01 pm by RedJ »
Nationality is pretty much set in stone unless you are entitled to other passports. National identity however is much more fluid and I think what RA is getting at.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 26, 2018, 02:45:47 pm by bahrain rover »
He is Scottish to be fair, he was born in Leeds because his dad played for them at the time.

...so he's English, no?

That's a debate between background and upbringing I suppose, it's probably personal preference. If both my parents were English but I was born whilst they lived in, say, China, for work. Would I be Chinese? I'd class myself as English.

As it is both my parents are from Doncaster. McCall's parents are Scottish, he grew up in Leeds but considers himself a Scotsman I can only presume, due to his international allegiance as a player and a coach. So in this instance I'd say he's Scottish!

RA,  Going going temporary off topic but you raise a valid question that I personally have. I am obviously English, but my wife is Filipino and our son was born in Bahrain and holds a Bahraini birth certificate. So what nationality is he?

I suppose it's up to him (if and when he's old enough). Will he be entitled to either an English or Filipino passport as well?

Yes he is eligible for both. But even though I am British and it therefore qualifies my son as British. Getting him a British passport that he is entitled to was a nightmare. I had to jump through hoops of fire. Even though the passport office acknowledged he was entitled the paperwork itvwas horrendous. Would have been easier if we jumped a fence at Calais and ran through the tunnel.   

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 26, 2018, 03:30:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
To be honest, I've lost all interest now and almost all enthusiasm for the new season thanks to how the bd are drawing this out.

Really!? Your not excited for preseason or to see who we sign or for the 1st Saturday of the new season or the FA cup draw or the local derbies?

And the reason is that the board have taken an extra couple of days to appoint a manager? or that they've appointed one who is a 3rd tier manager rather than Mick McCarthy etc?

Either your overreacting hugely or you've delusions of grandeur

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 26, 2018, 04:22:31 pm by drfchound »
Looking at the votes cast on this poll, it would seem that if McCann gets the job he will more than likely get plenty of stick if results aren’t good.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 26, 2018, 04:37:05 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Looking at the votes cast on this poll, it would seem that if McCann gets the job he will more than likely get plenty of stick if results aren’t good.
If only we had fans with the spirit of the Peru fans - class!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 26, 2018, 07:57:36 pm by drfchound »

Well, they just scored their first goal in World Cup finals since 1982.
Don’t know how many games that involves but we only had to endure five games at the end of last season.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 26, 2018, 08:01:31 pm by NickDRFC »

Well, they just scored their first goal in World Cup finals since 1982.
Don’t know how many games that involves but we only had to endure five games at the end of last season.

Just the 2 games they didn’t score in in that time, the first 2 from this World Cup. 36 years is a fair amount of time to wait though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:20:57 pm by NickDRFC »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 27, 2018, 08:33:58 am by Dutch Uncle »
Unfortunately Wales have been waiting far longer than that, since 1958 in fact  :(

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 27, 2018, 10:23:02 am by selby »
  That was a great Wales side Dutch, Jones, Medwin, The Charles bothers The Alchurch brothers, Kelsey, and other good players, they gave Brazil a very hard game in the Q.F.
   Ireland also had a good tournament, it was probably when British football was at its strongest ever.
  England had lost the Busby Babes, Geoff Hall to polio, and the two wonder boys Clough and our own King Alick had broken legs, and would have been very strong candidates but for such bad luck.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012