Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:18:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Come on England  (Read 4894 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Come on England
« Reply #30 on July 04, 2018, 10:20:23 am by NickDRFC »
FYI NickDRFC Jamie Vardy has had an injection for a groin strain and is doubtful for the next game. Maybe that is why he didn't take a penalty last night?

Which is why I said a couple of posts ago "Maybe I was a bit harsh as he could have been carrying an injury or something". Fair enough.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 04, 2018, 10:21:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Too right. Henderson didn't look comfortable at as he got ready to take his.

Credit to him for stepping up though.

I thought Vardy might take that one.

Really poor from Vardy not to step up given he takes them week in, week out for Leicester. Looks like we now know who we can rely on when the chips are down.

Southgate was in the papers this weekend talking about how they have moved away from the shambolically amateurish approach of “stepping up” on the night. He said in 96, Venables came into the pitch and said “Who fancies taking one.” No planning, no previous discussion. Like a Sunday pub team. Southgate said he put his hand up “because he thought he should” but that he’d only ever taken one penalty in his life before. And he’d missed that. And he’d not been practicing them in training.

He said that now, they were involving sports psychologists to interact with the players, and that the penalty takers would be decided way in advance.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 04, 2018, 10:30:11 am by NickDRFC »
I fully agree that they've moved on from that approach, and I'm glad they have, I was just surprised that someone who regularly takes penalties for his club didn't take one last night. I jumped to conclusions and was wrong, hopefully his injury isn't a serious one and won't mean he will miss out on Saturday.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 04, 2018, 10:30:37 am by donny dave »
England's desplay was similar to the way Germany normally dig a result out.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 04, 2018, 10:40:12 am by Copps is Magic »
I dont think Henderson's penalty was actually a bad one. It was a fairly decent save. One foot lower. One foot higher it's a definite goal.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 04, 2018, 10:50:50 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Don't think we played that bad given their attempts to disrupt us. It just shows we have to get that second goal because until the last 10min we were fine against a decent team.

I'm sure we'd of lost that game in normal time let alone penalties in other WC's so i'm even more proud of how we're doing!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 04, 2018, 11:07:45 am by MachoMadness »
Once we'd won it, after all the Colombians' dirty tricks, Southgate went straight to Uribe to console him for his penalty miss. Now that's class.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 04, 2018, 11:33:22 am by GazLaz »
I dont think Henderson's penalty was actually a bad one. It was a fairly decent save. One foot lower. One foot higher it's a definite goal.

It was better than Diers. Miracle that that went in. Poor by Ospina really.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 04, 2018, 12:19:18 pm by Filo »

It was better than Diers. Miracle that that went in. Poor by Ospina really.

Me and my lad had gasps of disbelief when Dier stepped up to take the pen, thankfully those gasps didn't last long 😀

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 04, 2018, 12:20:45 pm by RoversAlias »

Agreed. The height is slightly wrong, and Ospina makes a wonderful save. I felt so sorry for him in that moment as he gets a lot of unwarranted flack and for me is an excellent player, he's done well throughout the tournament for us.

Dier's penalty was hard enough to make it difficult for Ospina to stop. I think it's a bit harsh saying his was a crap penalty or whatever. Most of the time, so long as you hit it hard enough on target, it goes in.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 04, 2018, 12:21:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I could barely look, nearly shat me'sen. Can you imagine how the players taking them felt!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 04, 2018, 12:27:37 pm by Filo »

Agreed. The height is slightly wrong, and Ospina makes a wonderful save. I felt so sorry for him in that moment as he gets a lot of unwarranted flack and for me is an excellent player, he's done well throughout the tournament for us.

Dier's penalty was hard enough to make it difficult for Ospina to stop. I think it's a bit harsh saying his was a crap penalty or whatever. Most of the time, so long as you hit it hard enough on target, it goes in.

Hendersons penalty was struck ok and in the corner, but I think he showed Ospina where he was going to put it in his run up

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 04, 2018, 12:43:33 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If your going to telegraph it then it needs to go top bins or they've a good chance of saving. They research them so much now too so if its your usual side and its not well hit your in trouble

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 04, 2018, 05:51:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Too right. Henderson didn't look comfortable at as he got ready to take his.

Credit to him for stepping up though.

I thought Vardy might take that one.

Really poor from Vardy not to step up given he takes them week in, week out for Leicester. Looks like we now know who we can rely on when the chips are down.

He didn’t take one because of injury.

this may or may not be true -- think it might take 10 years befor the truth appears on wikipedia

nowadays you invent an excuse for anything another example being that Liderpool goalkeeper
why do i say that ?

i was hoping Harry Kane doesnt just become a one world cup wonder (the force continues to be with him)

does anyone remember Salvatore Schillaci that italian striker that came on as a sub in Italys team in the 1990  world cup  and from being a nobody won the golden boot - simply couldnt stop scoring

but refused to take a penalty in the semi final shoot out -- only took me 28 years to find that fact out-

For the semi-final match against defending champions Argentina, Gianluca Vialli replaced Baggio in the starting line-up, whereas Schillaci kept his place in the team. The match ended 1–1, with Schillaci scoring his fifth goal of the tournament, but Italy were eliminated after a penalty shoot-out, in which he controversially refused to take a penalty.[6]

schillachi then returned to normal -- let's hope harry can stay at this level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Schillaci

remember how England had to "put the sad face on" after getting the easy route to the semis

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 04, 2018, 06:44:56 pm by RedJ »
Honestly couldn't give a f**k if he never scores in another major tournament if he takes us to winning this World Cup.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 05, 2018, 08:18:08 am by drfchound »
Well. now it is clear that Vardy didn't take a pen because of his groin strain it could possibly be that Henderson did "step up" and volunteer to take one of the first five.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012