Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:57:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If you’re struggling does Marquis offer more than Wilks  (Read 2428 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Personally I would have put May on for Marquis against Burton. I thought both struggled a bit but Wilks was offering more of a threat on the day than JM.  I’m not having a go at Marquis just thought I’d have done it the other way

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: If you’re struggling does Marquis offer more than Wilks
« Reply #1 on August 19, 2018, 01:29:19 pm by RoversAlias »
Wasn't there yesterday but having watched Marquis the last two seasons I believe he's invaluable to our play and would only ever take him off if he's just not physically up to the task, and it's very rare he isn't.

I know we play a different style now but I feel you're always more likely to create a goalscoring opportunity with Marquis on the field. Can't really compare to Wilks as I've only seen him play three times.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 19, 2018, 01:50:18 pm by RedJ »
Totally different players. Marquis will always offer something even if it isn't a direct goal threat, whereas Wilks doesn't seem to contribute much if he isn't on it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 19, 2018, 02:12:32 pm by Campsall rover »
Different players and we need both on the pitch.
We simply do not have any replacements for either.
Sorry but for all Alfie May’s running about and enthusiasm there is simply no end product. We need another striker as back up. That is the one area we are short at present.
Otherwise I think the squad is okay until January unless we get 2/3  injuries where they are going to be out of the team for a month or more. Then we may need a couple of loans.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 19, 2018, 02:21:05 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Think our transfer business has been really good but i've always felt we could of done with a better back up striker to marquis. Potentially we can still fix this while the loan window is open. When you see May is getting brought on it just doesn't scream here comes a donny onslaught in the last 10-15min, Anderson getting stuck on upfront would give me more hope although its a desperate move. if anything because May does buzz about he's probably only worth bringing on if we're ahead just to hassle them. doesn't seem to offer much more for me

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 19, 2018, 02:40:18 pm by keith79 »
Marquis at our level is a complete striker. He has it all.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 19, 2018, 02:43:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Sorry but for all Alfie May’s running about and enthusiasm there is simply no end product.

Do you mean there's no end product from our most prolific striker in terms of time on the pitch last season!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 19, 2018, 02:51:41 pm by Campsall rover »
Sorry but for all Alfie May’s running about and enthusiasm there is simply no end product.

Do you mean there's no end product from our most prolific striker in terms of time on the pitch last season!
I am not getting involved in this again Bentley. If you think Alfie May is good enough for League 1 then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
I would be over the moon if Alfie proves me wrong.
Let’s leave it at that ok.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 19, 2018, 03:01:58 pm by ravenrover »
JM had a mare yesterday, not a deal went right for him

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 19, 2018, 03:13:25 pm by Paul Simpson »
Alfie may try’s hard but nowhere near good enough to cover marquis imo. We should probably
Loan him out and try to bring another striker in on loan ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 19, 2018, 03:15:00 pm by Campsall rover »
I would generally agree with that statement, but he must score when presented with a simple side foot tap in at the far post.
He all strikers mess up from time to time but that was a crucial miss.
I am convinced had he scored we would have gone on to win the game.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 19, 2018, 03:41:04 pm by selby »
  Lets just say we would have been better off if both had finished the game yesterday.
   Wilks had hard luck when he used his pace to get goal side of the central defender, and was rugby tackled.
  I think it was from a pass by Marquis but not sure. Wilks can learn a lot from Marquis about his awareness of players around him when he has the ball, if he draws men to him, pass the ball to someone in a better position to shoot.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 19, 2018, 03:44:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I am not getting involved in this again Bentley. If you think Alfie May is good enough for League 1 then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
I would be over the moon if Alfie proves me wrong.
Let’s leave it at that ok.

Alfie May has already proved you wrong by proving there is an end product in his play.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 19, 2018, 04:19:46 pm by grayx »
Dont u think his finishing could be better?

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 19, 2018, 07:01:18 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
I can’t think of one reason for dropping JM. Sure, he missed a sitter yesterday, but his contribution in all is terrific. No player works harder. And for that reason alone, he gets the shirt.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 19, 2018, 07:40:14 pm by drfchound »
Dont u think his finishing could be better?

I agree, his finishing could be better.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:59:46 pm by drfchound »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 19, 2018, 07:42:56 pm by since-1969 »
Personally I would have put May on for Marquis against Burton. I thought both struggled a bit but Wilks was offering more of a threat on the day than JM.  I’m not having a go at Marquis just thought I’d have done it the other way
Wilks is selfish and only shrugs off  challenges  to loose  the ball to the next man when he should have played another in before .He is  exciting to watch when he’s in full flow but frustrating like Williams when he doesn’t track back. Marquis is a work horse but needs a partner to feed him or off him . They’ve both done brilliantly and I’m more concerned come January if we loose either or both. Great start tho!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012