Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:23:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33404 times)

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #270 on July 18, 2018, 01:34:48 pm by Akinfenwa »
  Since 1969, have you considered that it  was our manager that underperformed with the players at his disposal.
  I think he did in three consecutive seasons.

Nail. On. Head.

If DF was that bad then why did the board plan for him to remain in his position?

And what about McCann's track record suggests he's going to be any better?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #271 on July 18, 2018, 01:36:05 pm by silent majority »
  Since 1969, have you considered that it  was our manager that underperformed with the players at his disposal.

Nail. On. Head.

If DF was that bad then why did the board plan for him to remain in his position?

Its a personal opinion.

A typical example of why I'm not allowed to express myself, and try hard not to, on this message board.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #272 on July 18, 2018, 02:15:34 pm by dickos1 »

Nail. On. Head.

Yes, he really underperformed when we won promotion didn't he?

Towards the end of the season most definitely.

Last season, (all of it) most definitely.

Yet Gavin came out and said how pleased they were with last season and the progress we’ve made.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #273 on July 18, 2018, 02:24:19 pm by silent majority »

Nail. On. Head.

Yes, he really underperformed when we won promotion didn't he?

Towards the end of the season most definitely.

Last season, (all of it) most definitely.

Yet Gavin came out and said how pleased they were with last season and the progress we’ve made.

It was a personal opinion, as I've already pointed out on this thread. It has nothing to do with GB.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #274 on July 18, 2018, 02:25:18 pm by Akinfenwa »

Nail. On. Head.

Its a personal opinion.

A typical example of why I'm not allowed to express myself, and try hard not to, on this message board.

No. They are questions to you.

(Or to anyone else who holds the view that the club's top 6 ambitions are now credible because we've changed manager)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #275 on July 18, 2018, 02:42:22 pm by Pancho Regan »

Nail. On. Head.

Its a personal opinion.

Well said SM.

I sympathise with you - you're in an impossible position on here.
We can all throw opinions around, some of which are complete b******s (in my opinion!) but every word you utter is taken to be an official statement by the Club and is jumped upon and picked apart.

Maybe you'll have to put IMHO after every post which expresses your personal view!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on July 18, 2018, 11:15:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
If we have a budget (as has been pointed out this has been factually confirmed in EFL filings) that is in top 7 then damn right we should be expecting whoever is manager to be pushing for playoffs!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #277 on July 18, 2018, 11:26:05 pm by dickos1 »

There won’t be many clubs that have supporters who believe they underachieved while gaining the most comfortable promotion probably in their history

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #278 on July 18, 2018, 11:26:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Nail. On. Head.

Its a personal opinion.

Well said SM.

I sympathise with you - you're in an impossible position on here.
We can all throw opinions around, some of which are complete b******s (in my opinion!) but every word you utter is taken to be an official statement by the Club and is jumped upon and picked apart.

Maybe you'll have to put IMHO after every post which expresses your personal view!

I respect SM and realise the difficulty he faces doing an almost impossible job trying to appease people on this forum. It's a pity we haven't got a Chairman who could take a bit of the pressure off him.

Who is our Chairman, by the way?

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on July 19, 2018, 12:29:14 am by northern soul »
Do you know what.

Is take finishing in exactly the same league position next year, IF we have more entertainment on the pitch. The football played over the last few years has been largely dreadful with only brief spells of enjoyable football, and yes that does include the promotion season.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #280 on July 19, 2018, 12:44:04 am by Bentley Bullet »
I agree. Our football has been generally shite since we relinquished the 'Arsenal of the North' tag several years ago when we were spoilt watching SOD's style of play. Mind you, we scored the greatest televised Rovers goal ever when Billy Sharp scored at Bellend road when Dickov was manager.

since then, our style of football has basically declined.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #281 on July 19, 2018, 09:07:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The ingredients for good football remain the same. Moving the ball from back to front with purpose, good movement, creation of space to make openings and the ability to score goals. We don't have to pass the ball 25 times to get from a to b. We all know the pet hates of hit and hope hoofball.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #282 on July 19, 2018, 10:01:10 am by selby »
 The first season  he oversaw the worst change in fortune I have seen at this club. his change of tactics, his change of our attacking personal and his continual ignoring  of certain players at his disposal cost us relegation.
  In his second season he blew a championship season in the last seven games, when persisting with picking the player on loan from Everton, Mason, and Alcock who were all completely out of form, and in Alcock's case not even match fit, and his substitutions at Hartlepool when all we needed a result, not only changed 3 players, but went through a load of positional changes completely losing our shape. And again had it in publicly with certain players who were ignored.
  Last season leaving players out again, being reluctant to play Baudry when available, playing players in positions they struggle with, man management, persisting with a goalkeeper 6 ft  4ins who did not come off his line, costing us points.
  He was a great club organiser, shook the system up on the playing side from top to bottom, made many improvements at the club behind the scenes, as a team manager it is my opinion only of course, but I think he was pretty average, as a man manager again average. Of course some would respond to him, but having talked to a couple of parents of some of our younger players, he could be soul destroying, and not the person he portrayed publicly lets say.
  He had had his time here, I thank him for a promotion, for his determination to shake the club up in the background, but we should not have had to come back from relegation, and his resignation came when for the first time in three seasons he felt slighted by the board with regard to finance, the tail cannot be seen to shake the dog, so time to go.
   The question that  should be asked about the budget is, did we give him too much money for the return from his efforts compared to managers at say Rochdale, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Accrington in the time he was here? and was it a sign of petulance or even resignation he could not work without being able to splash the cash?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #283 on July 19, 2018, 10:26:15 am by hoolahoop »
If we have a budget (as has been pointed out this has been factually confirmed in EFL filings) that is in top 7 then damn right we should be expecting whoever is manager to be pushing for playoffs!
The first season  he oversaw the worst change in fortune I have seen at this club. his change of tactics, his change of our attacking personal and his continual ignoring  of certain players at his disposal cost us relegation.
  In his second season he blew a championship season in the last seven games, when persisting with picking the player on loan from Everton, Mason, and Alcock who were all completely out of form, and in Alcock's case not even match fit, and his substitutions at Hartlepool when all we needed a result, not only changed 3 players, but went through a load of positional changes completely losing our shape. And again had it in publicly with certain players who were ignored.
  Last season leaving players out again, being reluctant to play Baudry when available, playing players in positions they struggle with, man management, persisting with a goalkeeper 6 ft  4ins who did not come off his line, costing us points.
  He was a great club organiser, shook the system up on the playing side from top to bottom, made many improvements at the club behind the scenes, as a team manager it is my opinion only of course, but I think he was pretty average, as a man manager again average. Of course some would respond to him, but having talked to a couple of parents of some of our younger players, he could be soul destroying, and not the person he portrayed publicly lets say.
  He had had his time here, I thank him for a promotion, for his determination to shake the club up in the background, but we should not have had to come back from relegation, and his resignation came when for the first time in three seasons he felt slighted by the board with regard to finance, the tail cannot be seen to shake the dog, so time to go.
   The question that  should be asked about the budget is, did we give him too much money for the return from his efforts compared to managers at say Rochdale, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Accrington in the time he was here? and was it a sign of petulance or even resignation he could not work without being able to splash the cash?

Wow that is harsh Selby. Fairly accurate however did he shag your wife / girlfriend etc. ? Good job he didnt need a reference from you . Lol

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #284 on July 19, 2018, 11:19:40 am by selby »
Hoola, I say what I think, whether I am right or wrong I have an opinion, and I respect other people who do not agree with me, and know that many will not, and fair does.
  But the constant harping on about budgets, having a go at a manager before even a ball is kicked in anger is getting tiresome, and most make a statement without explaining why they make it, or how we could do something to put it right.
  Some seem to think having the last post on a thread makes them right and will carry on arguing without substance time after time just stating the same point.
   Just saying a player or other subject is s**t is not a debate even if they are right, if people say why, I am interested, and may even agree, or god forbid even change my mind, but a couple reposting each others posts in long lists turns me off sorry.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #285 on July 19, 2018, 11:24:59 am by selby »
Hoola in answer to your question, my wife has had the best for 50 years why change now. She is far too good for him anyway.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #286 on July 19, 2018, 11:39:00 am by idler »
 quote author=selby link=topic=266636.msg790978#msg790978 date=1531995899]
Hoola in answer to your question, my wife has had the best for 50 years why change now. She is far too good for him anyway.
[/quote]
But I've only known her 20 years Selby. ;)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #287 on July 19, 2018, 11:44:49 am by CottyRover »
Selby, thank you for your assessment of the Ferguson years. This is what an exile like me comes on this site for. I have heard others criticise his man management skills but this is the first time I've seen anything to back it up. I appreciate it is your opinion but it seems a fair assessment to me.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on July 19, 2018, 01:13:32 pm by Barmby Rover »
I have grave suspicions of any manager that takes one of his old mates on when it is obvious he is not fit and has massive personal problems. Very laudable as a way of helping another human being, but this is not a business that can support that sort of expenditure, or so we are lead to believe by the board. We are to put up with youngsters and mates for our new signings? A familiar story at Rovers.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #289 on July 19, 2018, 01:23:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well given the geezer was on trial, then there's no expenditure to worry about. McCann has obviously weighed up the risk and thinks it's worth a try. Even then, if he does earn a contract, I doubt he'll be a top earner. Plus, from what we understand, there are other irons in the fire on the forward front, so I don't think we're relying on Taylor getting fit.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #290 on July 19, 2018, 01:26:59 pm by ravenrover »
You won't believe this Selby we agree, all though we will probably disagree about the identity of some he chose to ignore😊
Only this morning my wife and I were talking about this in the car, yes she has followed Rovers longer than me from way back in the 60's, and we came to the same conclusion . Good organiser, poor man manager and not the greatest team manager on the pitch. In addition to his bad early habit of blaming the players if things hadn't gone well what did it for me was the home game, can't remember who it was, when he sat and sulked in the dugout for the last 10-15mins of a game after it had all gone belly up.
You are correct petulant is probably the right word because he is after all  the son of a successful Premier manager, but that didn't make him equally sucessfull and yes we managed an easy promotion in the end but blew the title totally in a 1 horse race
Good luck to GM just hope he comes up with the goods on the field.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:33:08 pm by ravenrover »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #291 on July 19, 2018, 01:46:55 pm by The Red Baron »
I think the game where he had the sulk was the Walsall (home) fiasco. I felt much the same as he did, although of course I am not the manager!

Interestingly enough we fell apart after he made tactical changes and took Baudry off.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #292 on July 19, 2018, 01:47:11 pm by dickos1 »

He oversaw two massive changes in fortune in his first season, as he took a side in the relegation zone upto the top 10 and then he took them from the top 10 back to the relegation zone.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on July 19, 2018, 02:00:49 pm by wing commander »
    I've no reason to disbelieve the board or Gavin and accept when SM imply's the budget is bigger and that it's GM decision that barring another striker he's got enough for a challenge and happy to go with what he's got..

Judging by what we saw last season not many of us are going to agree with him though that's for sure.Still he's the manager and the playing budget is his to control and that's fair enough

However I certainly don't want to hear him using injuries as a excuse next season or moaning about his options because it was his decision to go this way..Time will tell and I hope he proves us all wrong..

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #294 on July 19, 2018, 02:12:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
10 pages on what we think of McCann's new players and all he's signed is 1 on loan and 1 permanent, with 1 on an extended trial. To say this thread has gone completely off track is an understatement!

We could have covered the topic in question on 1 page, because, as we are presently, there's nothing much to discuss. God help us if we actually do sign a quality player or two (here's hoping).

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on July 19, 2018, 03:11:27 pm by RedJ »

He oversaw two massive changes in fortune in his first season, as he took a side in the relegation zone upto the top 10 and then he took them from the top 10 back to the relegation zone.

Aye, he took them back into the relegation zone after taking them well out of it. And if you recall you called for him to be sacked, as well.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #296 on July 19, 2018, 05:43:02 pm by ravenrover »
10 pages on what we think of McCann's new players and all he's signed is 1 on loan and 1 permanent, with 1 on an extended trial. To say this thread has gone completely off track is an understatement!

We could have covered the topic in question on 1 page, because, as we are presently, there's nothing much to discuss. God help us if we actually do sign a quality player or two (here's hoping).
And you’ve just extended it😁

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on July 19, 2018, 06:41:03 pm by Danmckay456 »
One things for sure if marquis does get sold they won’t free much up for McCann to spend on the squad

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on July 19, 2018, 06:55:12 pm by drfc1951 »
One things for sure if marquis does get sold they won’t free much up for McCann to spend on the squad

You know that for a fact do you

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on July 19, 2018, 07:03:56 pm by Danmckay456 »
So you honestly think if we got 1.5 million + that we would spend the majority on players get a grip

TinyPortal © 2005-2012