Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:20:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33027 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #30 on July 11, 2018, 11:18:03 pm by IDM »
Alan I agree with you on where we are lacking, but neither you nor I know what is in the pipeline..

Michael that is not how I see things, we do need more players..

It is once those extra players come in that the argument of giving them time to settle applies..

Let’s get this clear, the squad is incomplete, the disagreement here is whether we think it will be, or not..

Who knows? That’s why I say wait and see..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 11, 2018, 11:21:18 pm by Michael Shaw »
Lund has been taken off the transfer so that one less incoming player we will get. As good as he is I don't think he promotion material.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 11, 2018, 11:25:56 pm by Michael Shaw »
There's one thing we all have in common or we wouldn't be on here at all, and that is we are all passionate about seeing Rovers have a successful season. Which is why I try to show respect for other posters - even if we don't share the same views, we all have Rovers best interests at heart.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 12, 2018, 01:36:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Far too early to come to any conclusions. The only thing you can see is that GM is his own man and wants to do it his way and bring in players/staff that will do a job the way he wants it done.

Cannot believe folk are regretting Fergie moving on given the underperformance and weakness when it mattered, and the same mistakes repeating.

You can't pretend to know much about the players he's brought in so far as we don't know them well enough to judge. He clearly knows them better than we do. Most managers will take a gamble on a couple of players and Taylor seems to be one in that category.

Once again, it's complete folly bringing the budget into this as none of us have a Scooby doo how to manage it, even if we knew what it was.

He says there's more signings to come and most of us think there are some positions to be filled so, if he's singing from the same hymn sheet, what's the problem?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 12, 2018, 07:49:01 am by phil old leake »
Give me a fxxxing rope to hang myself. Don’t think I’ll bother going next year. According to some the seasons over already. 

Doom and gloom merchants ride again

Let’s give the man a chance and see what happens. 

Some people are anti everything and everyone we sign

Get over yourselves and hopefully enjoy the ride

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 12, 2018, 07:53:16 am by Danmckay456 »
I think the main scepticism is yet again about a decent budget but to see how much we have trimmed off the wage bill this summer with some of our higher earners gone , the players brought in is hardly encouraging and it seems like we need to shift mandeville and Garrett to bring more in and the last thing the manager needs is to get off to a bad start we need competition throughout the team you have seen two goalkeepers fight it out for the jersey and seen the benefit to the team it brings the best out of them.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 12, 2018, 01:05:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
IDM, how do you know he is?

Answer the op's question. I've given my opinion.

How can anybody answer the OP's question when apparently he knows all about the budget and we don't?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 12, 2018, 02:54:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
What has the budget got to do with the op's question?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 12, 2018, 03:30:38 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The player not mentioned here is also going to be a cheap option, but could be a star, excellent choice IMO.

And then there will be others. As for there not being much time for players to bed in, we have a fairly established squad so it's not the same as it is for some clubs who have made more major changes. I'm so far happy with what we are seeing with the input of freshness with a few players plus the new manager's style and enthusiasm. The quality will show, or not, there's no way of telling so soon.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 12, 2018, 03:37:00 pm by Cantley Rover »
The player not mentioned here is also going to be a cheap option, but could be a star, excellent choice IMO.

And then there will be others. As for there not being much time for players to bed in, we have a fairly established squad so it's not the same as it is for some clubs who have made more major changes. I'm so far happy with what we are seeing with the input of freshness with a few players plus the new manager's style and enthusiasm. The quality will show, or not, there's no way of telling so soon.

Unfortunately if what GM has supposedly said to the DFP there will be no more new faces coming in. I don't know if that includes the lad from Bristol City.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 12, 2018, 03:51:16 pm by Retdon1 »

Unfortunately if what GM has supposedly said to the DFP there will be no more new faces coming in. I don't know if that includes the lad from Bristol City.

Where has McCann said he’s not bringing anyone else in.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 12, 2018, 04:07:16 pm by Cantley Rover »

I suppose it depends on how you interpret what is quoted in the paper. To me "Along with the potential signing of trialist Paul Taylor - who featured in Tuesday's friendly win at Frickley Athletic - McCann admits he would be satisfied with his lot in the transfer market. "I think if we got that attacking player in then I'd be quite pleased" he told the Free Press.
would indicate he is not looking to bring anyone else in.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 12, 2018, 04:13:27 pm by Retdon1 »

I suppose it depends on how you interpret what is quoted in the paper. To me "Along with the potential signing of trialist Paul Taylor - who featured in Tuesday's friendly win at Frickley Athletic - McCann admits he would be satisfied with his lot in the transfer market. "I think if we got that attacking player in then I'd be quite pleased" he told the Free Press.

Well let’s hope he’s just trying to not give anything away. Signing 1 more striker plus Taylor is not enough... we still need 2 more midfielders plus at least 1 defender. What happens if we get an injury to a defender early on like we did with Andrews last season. Still light in that department for me

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 12, 2018, 04:16:17 pm by Cantley Rover »

Well let’s hope he’s just trying to not give anything away. Signing 1 more striker plus Taylor is not enough... we still need 2 more midfielders plus at least 1 defender. What happens if we get an injury to a defender early on like we did with Andrews last season. Still light in that department for me

I agree totally.  If it is correct though it certainly would open a few questions regarding "The budget"

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 12, 2018, 04:30:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
We are still 3 players off having a decent L1 side, never mind top 6. I hope McCann is 'playing the market'!

But Barry Fry's comments re us and the Shrews are worrying.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 12, 2018, 04:34:53 pm by GazLaz »
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/breaking-news-peterborough-united-have-a-million-pound-bid-for-a-striker-rejected-and-two-players-turn-down-the-chance-to-leave-the-abax-stadium-1-8563882

seems we don't have any cash to spend when shrewsbury can pay more than us

It doesn’t mean we don’t have any cash. It means we don’t want to pay too much for a 31 year old. Understandable.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 12, 2018, 04:59:06 pm by Iberian Red »

I agree totally.  If it is correct though it certainly would open a few questions regarding "The budget"

You totally agree with your own opinion. Purple helmet

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 12, 2018, 05:15:08 pm by Cantley Rover »

You totally agree with your own opinion. Purple helmet

:kiss: :kiss:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 12, 2018, 05:20:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
First Shrewsbury have sold 2/3 of their first team players so they will have the funds.
Peterborough want a striker, the price they are asking for Grant maybe as Gaz says mor than we want to pay for a 31 year old player. So it’s down to who blinks first. GM says he’s nearly finished in the market but we still need centre midfield players to be anywhere near top 10 but our aim is top six. So this is now down to what we do before Aug 4th then Aug 9th.

If the Club want top six they should know what we need but maybe playing hard ball in this time.

Reiterate the message that came from the club JM is NOT FOR SALE.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 12, 2018, 06:05:41 pm by RoversAlias »
Grant has just turned 31, I imagine Peterborough may want more for him than we are willing to spend. It doesn't mean that we don't have the money necessarily.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 12, 2018, 06:16:53 pm by selby »
  That offer of a million for a lower division  striker must take the value of Marquis  a lot higher than that.
  If the lad from Bristol City joins us, with the lad from Leeds, I can see the two Alfies getting a lot of bench time this season, and one eventualy going on loan.
  Probably Blair or Kiwomya as well unless we play wide men.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 12, 2018, 06:57:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
  That offer of a million for a lower division  striker must take the value of Marquis  a lot higher than that.
  If the lad from Bristol City joins us, with the lad from Leeds, I can see the two Alfies getting a lot of bench time this season, and one eventualy going on loan.

Did you not go to Frickley.

We played 4 3 3 therefore we will need six players at least to play in the front 3.

So for the front three we have Marquis, Malik, May, Beestin, Kiwomya maybe Taylor? So will need players that can play in and out.

He might decide to play Crawford, Blair, Coppinger and Rowe there, but we haven’t got two out of the middle three yet so those might be in there,

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 12, 2018, 07:07:42 pm by Alan Southstand »

Don't forget, Selby, Mansfield were after Kiwomya! Maybe, there's something in him going, also.

Also, we've now lost another wage, with Mandeville departing on loan to Morecambe (bit of a round trip for you, Selby  ;))

I sincerely hope we have 'irons in the fire'.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 12, 2018, 07:09:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Mansfield were never after Kiwomya.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 12, 2018, 07:19:49 pm by Alan Southstand »
After the excitement of Mansfield Town’s triple signing on Friday, the club are rumoured to be set to pounce for Doncaster Rovers winger Alex Kiwomya. The 22-year-old, who came through Chelsea’s youth academy, signed a three-year deal at Rovers last summer after enjoying loan spells at Barnsley, Fleetwood Town and Crewe Alexandra. He played 12 games for Rovers last season, scoring once.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/are-stags-set-to-pounce-for-kiwomya-1-9230454

This, from 2nd July.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 12, 2018, 07:21:34 pm by silent majority »
After the excitement of Mansfield Town’s triple signing on Friday, the club are rumoured to be set to pounce for Doncaster Rovers winger Alex Kiwomya. The 22-year-old, who came through Chelsea’s youth academy, signed a three-year deal at Rovers last summer after enjoying loan spells at Barnsley, Fleetwood Town and Crewe Alexandra. He played 12 games for Rovers last season, scoring once.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/are-stags-set-to-pounce-for-kiwomya-1-9230454

This, from 2nd July.

This, from the article;

After the excitement of Mansfield Town’s triple signing on Friday, the club are rumoured to be set to pounce for Doncaster Rovers winger Alex Kiwomya.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 12, 2018, 07:28:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
The rumour came from a Twitter account that makes up crap.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 12, 2018, 07:32:52 pm by RedJ »
Amazes me how some people will take a rumour from social media from a random bloke as gospel yet if it comes from the club it's b*llocks and there's a conspiracy.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 12, 2018, 07:51:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hang on a minute, when has anyone from the Club rubbished the 'rumours' from Mansfield. There may well have been an offer made, as far as anyone knows on here (unless, of course, someone has inside knowledge).

The Club have seen fit, all too readily, to distance themselves from the Bristol report, but yet I have seen nothing re Kiwomya.

Give people a break.

Next, you'll be telling us that no-one has shown any interest in Marquis.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012