Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:29:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33373 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #60 on July 12, 2018, 07:54:06 pm by RedJ »
Do they really need to come out and rubbish every rumour on the internet for you to be happy?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 12, 2018, 07:55:33 pm by vaya »
Hang on a minute, when has anyone from the Club rubbished the 'rumours' from Mansfield. There may well have been an offer made, as far as anyone knows on here (unless, of course, someone has inside knowledge).

The Club have seen fit, all too readily, to distance themselves from the Bristol report, but yet I have seen nothing re Kiwomya.

Give people a break.

Next, you'll be telling us that no-one has shown any interest in Marquis.

Fair points Alan. I see the club has failed to distance itself from rumours surrounding the likelihood of an imminent attack by Godzilla.
Obvious its going to happen on that basis.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 12, 2018, 07:59:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
Centre midfield still way too weak for me. Needs major work. Two maybe three players.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 12, 2018, 08:16:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
Thanks for the common sense, Chris.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 12, 2018, 08:39:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
What has the budget got to do with the op's question?

Didn't you read his very first post in this thread and the question in it he wants us to answer?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 12, 2018, 09:04:30 pm by Jonathan »
I think there is a lot more that needs doing.

Happy with Anderson and Crawford to add to the first team and Watters as one for the future. I’m not enthused by the prospect of loaning fairly unproven strikers from other clubs when;

1. We need to replace Williams with someone of better quality so as to take some of the burden off Marquis.
2. I’d rather we developed our own young players than those that belong to other clubs.

We need to replace Houghton, who has been a big player for us over two seasons. But, as is the risk of playing the loan market, MK Dons will now benefit from his future resale potential. While we need to replace him.

Any indication that our transfer activity is almost over is worrying to say the least.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 12, 2018, 09:24:38 pm by scawsby steve »
Probably Blair or Kiwomya as well unless we play wide men.

Don't forget, Selby, Mansfield were after Kiwomya! Maybe, there's something in him going, also.

Also, we've now lost another wage, with Mandeville departing on loan to Morecambe (bit of a round trip for you, Selby  ;))

I sincerely hope we have 'irons in the fire'.

I may be wrong Alan, but I think we'll still be paying some of Mandeville's wages.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 12, 2018, 09:28:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
Probably Blair or Kiwomya as well unless we play wide men.

Don't forget, Selby, Mansfield were after Kiwomya! Maybe, there's something in him going, also.

Also, we've now lost another wage, with Mandeville departing on loan to Morecambe (bit of a round trip for you, Selby  ;))

I sincerely hope we have 'irons in the fire'.

I may be wrong Alan, but I think we'll still be paying some of Mandeville's wages.

I believe like Evina last year we will be paying some wages as you say that’s he’s gone on loan and not a straight move.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 12, 2018, 09:31:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
Didn't you read his very first post in this thread and the question in it he wants us to answer?

But that is not the first question he asked and it's the title of the thread in question! You answered the 2nd question, which was more about the op's own personal query based on his feelings about things!

Now, what's your answer to q1?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 12, 2018, 09:34:15 pm by Alan Southstand »

You may well be right, Scawsby, we will never know. It will still relieve some load off whatever resources the manager has left at his disposal.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 12, 2018, 09:47:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

But that is not the first question he asked and it's the title of the thread in question! You answered the 2nd question, which was more about the op's own personal query based on his feelings about things!

Now, what's your answer to q1?

I don't know anything about them or how the manager sees them fitting into his vision so I can't answer that question either.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on July 12, 2018, 09:49:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Can't believe he'll be happy with this squad and actually I haven't seen him saying it anywhere?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 12, 2018, 09:52:06 pm by silent majority »
Can't believe he'll be happy with this squad and actually I haven't seen him saying it anywhere?

I've searched for that statement and can't find it anywhere.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 12, 2018, 10:04:24 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If there isn't to be many more incomings then yeah GM will have to do some brilliant work to get us challenging for top 6. But it is possible. And we still have a decent amount of time to make signings so really its best not to make prejudgements.

Express concern sure but some of the talk on here is crazy. I don't get how people manage to function in the world if this is how they react to a few transfers   

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 12, 2018, 10:48:05 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Is it just me or do we have these “we’ve no money”, “our signings are shit”, “the board aren’t ambitious” debates every pre season?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 12, 2018, 11:46:55 pm by Boomstick »
Is it just me or do we have these “we’ve no money”, “our signings are shit”, “the board aren’t ambitious” debates every pre season?
It's you, we don't

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 13, 2018, 04:14:08 am by godlike1 »
Have to say that the incomings have been less than inspiring so far and does not give the impression of a club wanting to chase for a play off place

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 13, 2018, 06:23:15 am by Alan Southstand »
Quote from: big fat yorkshire pudding on July 12, 2018, 09:49:54 PM

It's on page 2 of this very thread........see Cantley Rover's post.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 13, 2018, 07:16:54 am by Danmckay456 »
Hopefully we get off to a good start the last thing the manager needs is a bad start and under pressure from board expectation of mounting a promotion challenge is way off the mark next season with a squad lacking in depth

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 13, 2018, 07:49:00 am by GazLaz »
The thing is, us fans have seen what signings it takes to be successful in this league and what it takes to be unsuccessful. We can’t have the wool pulled over our eyes. People just aren’t going to buy it when the signings don’t match the supposed ambition of the board. It’s easy to say we want to finish top 6, that’s empty rhetoric. To fulfill the ambition you need to bring in at least some players that have proven previously they can achieve that goal, otherwise you are just taking a punt.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 13, 2018, 07:54:52 am by Filo »
When applications were invited for the job, the criteria for applicants were to come in and work with the current backroom team, so far Strachen and Wilcox have left, with GM stating he wanted his own people in, thats one of the criteria broken. The applicant must demonstrate the ability to work at Championship level or it's equivalent , I can't see where that criteria is being met either. And now we see the beginings of the recruitment process and things don't look too inspiring at the moment. Things definitely  don't look rosey behind the scenes from the outside looking in

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 13, 2018, 07:59:32 am by GazLaz »
When applications were invited for the job, the criteria for applicants were to come in and work with the current backroom team, so far Strachen and Wilcox have left, with GM stating he wanted his own people in, thats one of the criteria broken. The applicant must demonstrate the ability to work at Championship level or it's equivalent , I can't see where that criteria is being met either. And now we see the beginings of the recruitment process and things don't look too inspiring at the moment. Things definitely  don't look rosey behind the scenes from the outside looking in

The fact out previous manager walked out was the most worrying thing of all Filo. 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 13, 2018, 08:04:56 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It's you, we don't

Yes we do. And during the rest of the year too.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 13, 2018, 08:19:04 am by Jonathan »
I will reserve final judgement until the transfer window shuts and we can evaluate what we have. There is still plenty of time to get some more players in and hopefully that will happen.

It’s not my place to comment on the budget and I’ll trust what we’ve been told - that it has not reduced. But the simple fact at this point in time is that the squad is weaker than the one that finished last season.

Williams’ departure should in theory provide an opportunity to bring in a quality striker. Mandeville’s departure compounds this. We have not addressed this yet.

Houghton’s departure highlights the need to bring in a quality central midfield player. We have not done this yet. (Crawford is more of a number 10 and hopefully adds something there).

Anderson was secured on a permanent so that one is sorted. But there’s an argument to say we need to replace Baudry if we are to maintain the status quo let alone strengthen. Especially with Alcock having gone and Garratt now leaving.

So all in all we are unquestionably weaker at this point. Plenty still to do if we are to challenge for the top 6. 

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 13, 2018, 09:18:48 am by Lesonthewest »
Well I really hope we are not nearly done in the transfer market, there is time yet of course, but if we are we are well short of a squad to compete with the bottom half let alone top six as it stands. The next few weeks will reveal all.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 13, 2018, 09:44:45 am by Glyn_Wigley »

The only thing McCann says is "I think if we got that attacking player in then I'd be quite pleased".

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 13, 2018, 09:48:00 am by Chris Black come back »

The fact out previous manager walked out was the most worrying thing of all Filo. 

Not for some!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 13, 2018, 09:50:05 am by silent majority »

I'm talking about the source of it, not somebody's reprint.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 13, 2018, 10:08:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
Next thing, if we struggle at the start of the season it'll be down to players not having a full pre-season, and THAT will be Darren Ferguson's fault for resigning unexpectedly! Just like it was Paul Dickov's fault for Darren Ferguson's initial failings!

Mark my words!

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 13, 2018, 10:28:32 am by ZiggerZagger »
Spoke to several of the players the other day. Looking forward to the new season with their shackles off, being able to play with width and attack teams. They all seem to think a lot of they way McCann wants them to play with the lets play in their half mentality and the don't be afraid to shoot, you dont get an extra goal for trying to walk it in went down well too. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012