Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:25:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Where will DRFC finish the season as the team stands now

Top 6
12 (8.3%)
Top 10
24 (16.6%)
Mid table
38 (26.2%)
Bottom half
56 (38.6%)
Relegated
15 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Voting closed: July 23, 2018, 10:13:08 pm

Author Topic: Where will we finish based on the team we have now?  (Read 2339 times)

karlos

• Forum Member
Where will we finish based on the team we have now?
« on July 16, 2018, 10:13:08 pm by karlos »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Where will we finish based on the team we have now?
« Reply #1 on July 16, 2018, 10:42:57 pm by dknward2 »
For me mid table to bottom half as it is now but 2 extra signings could push us to top half to top 6

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 17, 2018, 12:07:18 am by tommy toes »
Far too early to even have a guess.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 17, 2018, 01:35:01 am by godlike1 »
Far too early to even have a guess.

Maybe but I think the results so far show how the signings have been uninspiring to say the least along with the choice of manager

They could all prove us wrong and I bloody well hope they do but I can’t see attendances being v high this season unless we get off to a good start and maintain it, eg challenge for a play off play all season

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 17, 2018, 07:09:18 am by Barmby Rover »
A pattern is developing here, lower half to relegation is the verdict, one free transfer, a teenage loanee and a player not necessarily fit for the job is really not the answer to "strengthening the squad" is it?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 17, 2018, 07:14:34 am by Jonathan »
It would be very difficult to envisage a top half finish with the current squad. The midfield is just too weak in terms of strength and numbers. And we haven’t addressed the problem of having only one regular goalscorer upfront. In fact we don’t have the same quality of options that we had last season. That’s a concern as things stand.

Lots of work still to do.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 17, 2018, 07:44:03 am by Padge_DRFC »
We need another midfielder. We know nothing about this lad from Leeds. With him playing 4 3 3 I think it’s business done at that end of the pitch

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 17, 2018, 09:02:59 am by keith79 »
Champions

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 17, 2018, 09:17:09 am by The Red Baron »
With what we've got, probably mid-table, but I don't think we'll start the season with what we've got. I'd expect two or three more to come in.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 17, 2018, 09:41:41 am by mpc123 »
I think the big difference could be the formation swap from 3 5 2 to 4 3 3 plus the added speed in attacking areas we could be a totally different team with just one more addition of a decent holding midfielder.

I'm excited for this year for the first time in years.

Heffs right foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 17, 2018, 09:47:44 am by Heffs right foot »
Agree with Padge.. Midfield is my main concern, wondering who the three are, have had all sorts of permutations on paper and just don't seem strong enough..hope I'm wrong.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 17, 2018, 10:34:25 am by mpc123 »
 With a new centre mid it would probably be Rowe left and whiteman right in a 3 central midfield, with copps, Luke mc and Blair as back up for those positions too.

GM of course knows alot more than all of us so may have totally different ideas.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 17, 2018, 11:48:53 am by phil old leake »
Top 6

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 17, 2018, 12:14:18 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think we sometimes over estimate this league and forget how poor we were last season. We can make a big improvement on that without a new squad.

A lot of the teams that came to the keepmoat were far worse player for player than us we just shot ourselves in the foot or started playing backward/negative too much and before you know it the opposition were on top. Not saying we were every going to be serious playoff contenders but i think we should of been much closer than we were. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 17, 2018, 12:42:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Although it's far too early to predict, I like what I'm hearing from McCann and the players and think he will get more out of the them and play in a style they're more comfortable with.

The new lads may give us more tools to break down defences with Whiteman saying McCann is looking for more rotation from the midfield 3. We all know tempo and pace make such a difference.

I'm certainly not predicting doom and gloom before we've even kicked a ball in anger. May also make the doom mongers look rather foolish but then again, there will always be something they can use to bring the club down to their level.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 17, 2018, 01:37:38 pm by Rovers Return »
My feelings all last season were not that we did not have the players but that our tactics used were hindering and negative. I would be interested to see how those same players perform under a different manager with a different approach.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 17, 2018, 01:51:01 pm by Cantley Rover »
Although it's far too early to predict, I like what I'm hearing from McCann and the players and think he will get more out of the them and play in a style they're more comfortable with.

The new lads may give us more tools to break down defences with Whiteman saying McCann is looking for more rotation from the midfield 3. We all know tempo and pace make such a difference.

I'm certainly not predicting doom and gloom before we've even kicked a ball in anger. May also make the doom mongers look rather foolish but then again, there will always be something they can use to bring the club down to their level.

Have you actually read what the topic says?

Where will we finish based on the team we have now?

It seems over 75% of those who voted are concerned that not enough has been done YET. It doesn't make any one of them a doom monger.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 17, 2018, 01:52:06 pm by ravenrover »
A lot of the younger players looked scared to death of DF, constantly shouting and pointing at them go here do this

donyderek

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 17, 2018, 02:50:54 pm by donyderek »
Didn't a lot of players come to Doncaster because of DF. Don't forget we had a link in to Man United, via is dad for information.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 17, 2018, 03:59:41 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm sure someone on here said the other day that he'd been talking to one of the players, who remarked on how much happier some of the team were now, because the shackles were off, and the players were being allowed to attack with width and pace.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 17, 2018, 04:46:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
Now I do remember many posters commented on here when DF first arrived and at the start of League 1 season how We played to gunhoe and that’s why we were losing games. That was tightened up and possibly to tight. But there’s got to be balance and we will see from said players if they can go 46 games playing with more freedom and also be able to defend and prevent goals especially through midfield. Which was our Achilles heal in certain games in league 1.

With the centre midfield we have now we will have to very carefull, going forward ok, freedom ok maybe scoring more goals unknown. But we do not have enough tackles in the midfield three to do the dirty work when it’s required. It may give more entertainment but will we get top half I’m not sure. Certainly won’t get top six which is a requirement for this season.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:53:39 pm by steve@dcfd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012