Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:06:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis Value  (Read 5770 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Marquis Value
« on July 19, 2018, 03:20:09 am by roversdude »
Bloody hell Cheltenham turn down £1m for Mo  Elisa - what does that make JM worth

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis Value
« Reply #1 on July 19, 2018, 02:16:50 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We have to value him at around 3-5m now because any proven/semi proven replacement is clearly going to cost millions now. I just hope the teams who were interested find alternatives for him so we're not left with him leaving on the last day of the window

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 19, 2018, 02:18:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
That last sentence was answered at the supporter's AGM.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 19, 2018, 02:41:24 pm by Dare to dream! »
How long does he have on his contrac? What’s his age?

More factors to consider other than another striker has left for x which must mean Marquis is worth

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 19, 2018, 02:55:47 pm by GazLaz »
Eisa looks to have far more potential than JM.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 19, 2018, 03:27:34 pm by RoversAlias »

Why? He's only two years younger than Marquis, and scored 25 goals last season in his only year in the EFL. Marquis scored 26 goals at that level in two less games, and backed it up by scoring 15 goals at League One level this past year. I'm not seeing much difference in any key area, including size and playing style either.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 19, 2018, 03:49:56 pm by Dare to dream! »
Personally, I don’t think JM will be with us beyond this season. Really hope I am wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 19, 2018, 04:01:23 pm by GazLaz »

Why? He's only two years younger than Marquis, and scored 25 goals last season in his only year in the EFL. Marquis scored 26 goals at that level in two less games, and backed it up by scoring 15 goals at League One level this past year. I'm not seeing much difference in any key area, including size and playing style either.

He’s technically far better, more mobile and quicker. You need that extra yard if you are to play higher up the divisions.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 19, 2018, 04:02:46 pm by jamesrover17 »
IF and that is a big IF John is set on his way out of the club, I personally would prefer it to be sooner rather than later and certainly not in the January window when he has hypothetically scored 10+ goals, that could really disrupt a possible promotion challenge.

I notice now the club has taken the 'it's not about the money' stand... Which is completely understandable but we shouldn't leave ourselves short changed!

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-money-won-t-determine-john-marquis-future-1-9259832

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 19, 2018, 04:13:54 pm by CottyRover »
That Free Press article seems to answer some of the confusion on other threads

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 19, 2018, 04:52:51 pm by RedJ »
Quick lads what conspiracy can we start next?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 19, 2018, 05:27:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
The free press article was identical to what was said at the supporters AGM and Liam was there.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 19, 2018, 05:47:08 pm by karldew »
Think he’ll be at Aberdeen in time for their Europa League game against Burnley?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 19, 2018, 05:52:31 pm by Cantley Rover »
I think it is fair to say they if a championship club or above came in for JM and the offer was acceptable then we would let John go.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 19, 2018, 06:05:11 pm by ravenrover »
   :that: but I don’t thnk a team above the Championship would be in for him

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 19, 2018, 06:08:56 pm by karlos »
The club can say what they want about him not being for sale, the fact is if he does not like what he is seeing he may decide himself he wants to move on.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 19, 2018, 06:20:49 pm by Cantley Rover »

So would you class Aberdeen (one of the clubs mentioned previously) as being equivalent to League1?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 19, 2018, 07:42:21 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Aberdeen lost their main striker to Salford recently so don't think they can be classed as championship standard or any kind of step up.

I know Salford are spending money but i can't see any championship side losing their main man to the conference.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 19, 2018, 07:58:50 pm by RedJ »
They're basically Barnsley but with a route into Europe.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 19, 2018, 09:29:22 pm by ravenrover »

So would you class Aberdeen (one of the clubs mentioned previously) as being equivalent to League1?
Not a chance

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 19, 2018, 10:19:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Aberdeen need to beat Burnley to get into Europe which is one of the hardest of the qualifying games they could get. Maybe why Rooney thought better to jump to the conference

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 20, 2018, 09:11:28 am by the vicar »
Personally, I don’t think JM will be with us beyond this season. Really hope I am wrong.
Players come players go, if and when he goes we just open another chapter and move on, it will be a sad sad time but that is football life

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 20, 2018, 04:58:02 pm by ravenrover »
Reading between the lines of what the club and JM has said, If JM goes it will be of his choosing, then the hard work comes in getting the best deal

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 21, 2018, 04:45:36 pm by Drover »
IF,JM was to leave,I doubt it will be to Aberdeen.Don't think they can afford him,and don't think he will see it as a step up.Now an un-named championship club supposedly interested,may well be different and will be a step up in his career,wages,signing fee etc.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 21, 2018, 05:49:02 pm by scawsby steve »
I said several months ago that the vultures would be circling above the Keepmoat in the summer, and there aren't that many prolific strikers in the Championship. I sincerely want to be proved wrong on this, but I fear the worst.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 21, 2018, 05:51:10 pm by silent majority »
I said several months ago that the vultures would be circling above the Keepmoat in the summer, and there aren't that many prolific strikers in the Championship. I sincerely want to be proved wrong on this, but I fear the worst.

Nobody's circling. No firm bids, a couple of enquiries that were met with a flat refusal.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 21, 2018, 05:54:48 pm by since-1969 »

Nobody's circling. No firm bids, a couple of enquiries that were met with a flat refusal.
What’s al the fuss about then ?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 21, 2018, 05:57:49 pm by scawsby steve »

I take your point Martin, but it's what happens in the next 3 weeks that concerns me. Transfer activities tend to get more frenetic as we get nearer to deadline day, and then all hell lets loose.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 21, 2018, 06:00:24 pm by silent majority »

I take your point Martin, but it's what happens in the next 3 weeks that concerns me. Transfer activities tend to get more frenetic as we get nearer to deadline day, and then all hell lets loose.

Don't doubt that, but there is a contented view within the club that he's going nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, nobody can predict the future, but there have been no signs of anybody coming in for JM with a bid that would make the club sit up and take notice.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 21, 2018, 06:10:50 pm by pib »
Difficult to value a player, and especially pointless comparing it to the valuations of the players at other clubs.

Age, ability, potential, add-ons, how much the selling club is willing to part with the player, how much the buying club is prepared to pay, whether the player wants out, whether the selling club can replace him, financial health of the club, time left on contract, injury record, track record - all come into it (and probably more).

A lot of the above factors are to do with the selling & buying club so comparing Marquis's value to Eisa or anyone else is like comparing apples with pears.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012