Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:01:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alick Jeffery  (Read 4051 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Alick Jeffery
« Reply #30 on August 02, 2018, 03:50:49 pm by drfchound »
That Peterborough away game was my first without my dad being there.
My mum used to have a gents hairdressing shop and one of her customers was a Rovers fan.
He mentioned the Peterborough match and she said that I would like to go so the bloke volunteered to look after me.
So, me and my little brother went on the supporters coach, the bloke watched out for us and made sure we got home ok afterwards.
I vividly remember all of the stuff that has been written about on here.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 02, 2018, 06:08:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I regret that the interview the club did last year with Harry Gregg was never broadcast to fans . He better than anyone could tell us stories of the YOUNG AJ who was 16 yrs old when they played together. Alick was destined to join the Busby Babes that Gregg had already joined ..then he broke his leg playing or England U 24 v France bringing to an end his dream of stardom.Gregg was transfered for a record for a goalkeeper at the time  £23000..AJ 's fee would have been double that ..Rovers were paid £4000 Insurance compensation by FA.   

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

They did broadcast a Harry Gregg interview in the stadium the day Brian Deane was inducted into the hall of fame (for reasons that remain beyond me). Just nobody could hear it.
Aye, it sounded like a Shane McGowan interview after Pogues St Patrick's night concert.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 03, 2018, 07:55:15 am by richtherover »
Polls for "Rovers Greatest Ever Player" are redundant. Vote can only be for second best. Alick was head and shoulders above anyone. Even when he was supposedly "over the hill" he used to terrorise the opposition. It was like having Maradona in the team. I too was at the Peterborough game and count myself lucky to have seen many other games where both sets of fans were left open mouthed after his performance. I was privileged to meet him many times. Excellent cricketer too! Top Yorkshireman and legend on and off the pitch. What price in today's market?  RTID

TinyPortal © 2005-2012