Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:14:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How all clubs should be run...  (Read 3499 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
How all clubs should be run...
« on August 02, 2018, 05:50:48 pm by GazLaz »
https://twitter.com/jamestippett/status/1024669925066137600?s=21

I’ve lauded the Brentford owner on here a number of times. This post may be an eye opener to a few dinosaurs on this forum.

The same theory is used by bookmakers when predicting football teams chances of success...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: How all clubs should be run...
« Reply #1 on August 02, 2018, 05:54:55 pm by silent majority »
And Barnsley are meant to be doing the same.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 02, 2018, 05:55:17 pm by Retdon1 »
Why should all clubs be run like this. Plenty of clubs don’t run their club this way and have plenty of success.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 02, 2018, 05:56:03 pm by mushRTID »
Surely if all clubs were run this way it wouldn’t be that special?

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 02, 2018, 06:00:38 pm by Akinfenwa »
It's uncommon because very few lower league clubs' owners happen to have an entire statistical analysis company to make use of.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 02, 2018, 06:02:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Surely if all clubs were run this way it wouldn’t be that special?

It would mean that it wouldn't work for half of them!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 02, 2018, 06:10:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Why should all clubs be run like this. Plenty of clubs don’t run their club this way and have plenty of success.

They're having success and making large sums of money from it. Only a rare quality manager appointment can make that success or large sums of money being spent which will more than likely not be recovered from sales.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 02, 2018, 06:40:51 pm by mpc123 »

I’ve lauded the Brentford owner on here a number of times. This post may be an eye opener to a few dinosaurs on this forum.

The same theory is used by bookmakers when predicting football teams chances of success...

Not an eye opener, but great to see modern tech used in football to these lengths and working.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 02, 2018, 07:18:03 pm by pib »
I guess you speculate to accumulate in football sometimes, this being a perfect example.

They must pay a lot of people to work out which players to sign but it's obviously worth it with the profits involved when they're sold on, not to mention the additional revenues of being in the Championship year on year.

The way football's going, it probably takes something like this for a club ours/Brentford's size to sustain Championship football. Either that or owners pouring excessive amounts of money in.

Easy to nitpick with the OP and the thread title, but (without speaking for Gaz) I think his point is that a lot of smaller clubs can learn from this rather than making it up as they go along and crossing their fingers.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 02, 2018, 07:18:57 pm by RedJ »
Aye, but it's easier said than done isn't it.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 02, 2018, 07:21:51 pm by pib »
Yep. Someone's got to try stuff and innovate though. With that attitude football would still be played on ploughed field esque pitches with a ball that weighed a ton.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 02, 2018, 07:38:27 pm by andyst79 »
What like the experiment you mean?!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 02, 2018, 08:27:32 pm by pib »
If you like. Not all innovations/experiments work.

Hard to argue with what Brentford have done.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 02, 2018, 08:29:42 pm by Jim Dobbin »

Swansea have just flogged Mawson, more money for them.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 02, 2018, 08:30:38 pm by Jim Dobbin »

That profit has probably paid for their new stadium, unless its council owned. I've not read too much about it.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 02, 2018, 09:12:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »

An high profile agent bringing in his clients to help one club. Similar to Wolves who are going from strength to strength.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 02, 2018, 09:13:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I'd love to know why some people think they're expected to do alright this season...

- New manager with no experience (personality-wise, having seen him on Calendar earlier, I wonder how he actually motivates his players)...
- Relegated last season.
- Not really made any new signings.
- A weight of expectation because of money and being a 'big' club in this league (or at least they've had success in this league before).

I might get it wrong, but I can see more reasons as to why they'll finish mid-table than I can as to why they'll challenge for promotion.

Don't fancy them one bit - and it's nowt to do with the fact they're a local rival.

Their current strikeforce.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 02, 2018, 09:41:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

An high profile agent bringing in his clients to help one club. Similar to Wolves who are going from strength to strength.

We did it the cheap way though (compared to Wolves) and their agent is the real deal our downfall was our agent just had a load of has or never beens on his books who he wanted to find a 6 month deal for.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 02, 2018, 10:03:31 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

this is really weird think someone has been hacking my brain as I checked all this out only 3-4 days ago

someone on this site mentioned the Brentford goalie on that day Rovers won the division had just signed for was it the blades and i thought yeh brentford don't half make a lot of money selling players so i checked them out on here

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-brentford/transfers/verein/1148/saison_id/2018

you can adjust the filter for any season i didn't realise til i looked the single millions here and there they were spending was only hearing of the fat acorns being sold not the small acorns coming in

the funny thing some Italian ?? geniuses (not) decided they wanted to buy a LONDON CLUB &  bought Orient and took them to places they hadn't been to for many years (like the 4th division) they had looked at Brentford and publicly said considering Orient were only one division below Brentford and much cheaper decided to buy them instead ---  they didn't even buy the Orient ground !!!!!  ..    so it just shows what could have happened to Brentford had they got their hands on them

some of you won't realise what stable owners Rovers have til they go

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 02, 2018, 10:45:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »

We did it the cheap way though (compared to Wolves) and their agent is the real deal our downfall was our agent just had a load of has or never beens on his books who he wanted to find a 6 month deal for.

That was mainly due to it beginning mid way through the season and only able to get loans or free agents. I think in another life and another time of the season it could have been successful.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 02, 2018, 11:34:02 pm by RoversAlias »

That was mainly due to it beginning mid way through the season and only able to get loans or free agents. I think in another life and another time of the season it could have been successful.

It was quite early in the season. It didn't work because Willie McKay is a shyster. The bloke at Wolves is agent for the likes of Mourinho and Ronaldo so he's bound to have a better, more respectable portfolio of players under his care.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 03, 2018, 07:54:25 am by DRNaith »

Just had a quick look, can't see you lauding Brentford previously, can you help show this so I can see the build up?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 03, 2018, 09:10:50 am by GazLaz »

Just had a quick look, can't see you lauding Brentford previously, can you help show this so I can see the build up?

I’ve mentioned it more than one occasion. Off the top of my head once was when they parted company with Warburton. People thought they were mad but I could see that they trusted their business model and it was more important to them than keeping a good coach. I thought it could end up very fruitful for them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 03, 2018, 09:25:34 am by RedJ »

It was quite early in the season. It didn't work because Willie McKay is a shyster. The bloke at Wolves is agent for the likes of Mourinho and Ronaldo so he's bound to have a better, more respectable portfolio of players under his care.

The whole 'experiment' saga just accelerated what was probably an inevitable relegation season, given that the shelf-life of SO'D's squad was probably coming towards it's end.

Injuries didn't help, but every club in the land has injuries and different problematic factors to contend with at some stage during a season.

The absolute relegation travesty was a couple of years later when Dickov's boys snatched relegation from the jaws of safety. The club had done brilliantly to get back to the Championship and, even though GD was terrible, there's no way relegation should have happened in 2013/14.

Just a point on the injuries. We had them on an apocalyptic scale towards the end of O'Driscoll's tenure. And the injuries sustained at the Amex (as well as Ryan Mason the following Tuesday) were probably - even at that very early stage - fatal to that season.

Dickov also had a nightmare defensively with injuries and while it was an absolutely catastrophic failure on his part to not just shut up shop and get an extra point when we needed it, you have to give him SOME credit. And let's not forget, some of the football that season was pretty exciting, towards the beginning especially. Not sure what happened after that...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 03, 2018, 10:24:29 am by RedJ »
Not disputing that. There was no excuses for the way that season ended. But he did have a lot to contend with and he very nearly pulled it off, which is astounding for someone of his limited experience. A bit more nous in the run in and we'd have been lining up in a 20k+ seater the following August.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012