Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:08:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tweaking, fine tuning and tactical acumen !  (Read 3223 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Tweaking, fine tuning and tactical acumen !
« on August 12, 2018, 12:41:40 pm by sha66y »
So..
A couple of games in and things look quite good from a fans perspective,
The Strikers are scoring, and others are able to chip in,
The team has balance
The midfield 3 have steel and skill in abundance
The back 4 are becoming an effective unit
The keeper is practically picking himself
The team are getting fitter, looking sharper and appear somewhat meaner?

We all must feel that as long as we can keep teams at bay during the first half.... we will have the psychological advantage, come the second....
I would imagine other Managers are now looking at this pattern that is developing, and wondering how best to combat it....
a preoccupied foe is less dangerous if it has to overthink strategy..

Should we introduce a few off the bench for the Scunthorpe game, if so ....who??

Every little bit helps......

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Tweaking, fine tuning and tactical acumen !
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2018, 02:08:41 pm by pib »
Early days and I’ve only seen the Wycombe game, but thought Tommy Rowe looked a lot better (and happier) in that new position in the centre of the park.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2018, 02:21:45 pm by Branton Rover »
Completely agree Tommy is far more effective central than at wingback or left side midfield - as part of a combative 3 he can get on the ball more, break forward and make runs into the box - Fergie appeared clueless as to how to get the best out of Tommy too many times sacraficing his natural game to plug holes elsewhere

McCann has been here for 2 games only and has solved the Rowe conundrum immediately

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2018, 02:35:34 pm by Alan Southstand »
Let's be fair, he has been helped by having a fully fit Andrew to bomb down the left side (he had the freedom of the entire left side of the pitch yesterday). Rowe isn't needed out left whilst Andrew is there!

I think we would have had a good few more points in the bag last season if we'd had Andrew all season. People forget all too easily.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2018, 03:20:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Andrew had been fit all season you would have seen a different Tommy Rowe last season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2018, 03:22:49 pm by RedJ »
Aye, he wouldn't have been playing at left back.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2018, 03:25:23 pm by pib »
Not forgetting owt personally, just think it makes a difference when you empower your best player and play him in a position where he’s most effective.

Could prove to be a master stroke giving him the armband too.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2018, 03:30:55 pm by sha66y »
So the same team to play Scunthorpe in the cup game ?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2018, 03:40:50 pm by Lesonthewest »
Early days and I’ve only seen the Wycombe game, but thought Tommy Rowe looked a lot better (and happier) in that new position in the centre of the park.

Noticed the difference in Tommy Rowe aswell, he is playing with a smile on his face now, don't normally see that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2018, 05:40:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Question. Who was the better left back. Rowe or Garrett?
In my mind DF sacrificed our most creative player ( and potential goal scorer ) in Tommy Rowe because he had no faith in Garrett.
Big mistake imo.
In December Garrett did a very sound job and we only lost at Oxford.
In January Garrett was dropped and hardly seen again.
Is it any wonder we didn’t score goals. Of course that is one of several reasons we were goal shy. But it all was down to DF and his square pegs in round holes right throughout the season and his stubbornes not to change the formation that clearly did not suit the players at his disposal.
I think what we will see under McCann will make DF look the very average manager that he is. IMO of course.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2018, 07:34:12 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Tommy seemed to be very restricted in movement under DF, as did a fair few others, even when he was in midfield he never really moved from the left centre position and was mostly running out to protect the full back (a problem with lack of width). As has been said before this was probably because DF didn't rate the players he got in and was trying to be more defensive because it certainly wasn't how he'd of managed tommy at Pboro

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2018, 09:02:19 pm by ravenrover »
At times on Saturday, in fact for quite a lot of the game we were playing 2--5--3 how exciting is that?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 12, 2018, 10:01:32 pm by Pancho Regan »
I’m on holiday so haven’t seen a game yet but this thread intrigues me.

Tommy Rowe was surely ‘Fergie’s man’ wasnt he? DF has taken him to more than one club with him, and to be honest I keep waiting to hear of Fergie’s next appointment and Rowe leaving us to follow him.

So this thread is very interesting - are you guys saying that Rowe looks happier than when Fergie was in charge?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 12, 2018, 10:18:07 pm by Lesonthewest »
Absolutely Pancho Regan, looks like he is enjoying his football with a smile & a more responsible role, makes you wonder.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 12, 2018, 10:20:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
When you say ‘you guys’, who do you mean? Everyone who puts messages on here?

I don’t go along with that theory at all. You’re putting 2 and 2 together and making 4 hundred!

The word coming from the players is they’re all enjoying the system and why wouldn’t they? 2 wins, 6 for and 2 against, they’re not going to say anything else, are they?

The inclusion of Kane into that midfield 3 has made everyone’s life a little easier and imho it has had the effect of raising Whiteman’s game as well.

Winning breeds confidence, which in turn increases the chance of winning more. The players to have the most impact on our first 2 games are, arguably, Wilks and Kane. I think Tommy is no different to the rest of us, it’s easier when you’re winning - playing and supporting.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 12, 2018, 11:26:53 pm by eastender »
For me Kiwomya brings nothing to the team, he looks light weight, and where is this blistering pace that he's supposed to have.
He's had a full pre season now ,and i know it's early doors , but for me he needs to step it up and start showing why he deserves a shirt, and a bit of aggression in his play would help .

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 12, 2018, 11:48:16 pm by Pancho Regan »

I don’t go along with that theory at all. You’re putting 2 and 2 together and making 4 hundred!

The word coming from the players is they’re all enjoying the system and why wouldn’t they? 2 wins, 6 for and 2 against, they’re not going to say anything else, are they?

The inclusion of Kane into that midfield 3 has made everyone’s life a little easier and imho it has had the effect of raising Whiteman’s game as well.

Winning breeds confidence, which in turn increases the chance of winning more. The players to have the most impact on our first 2 games are, arguably, Wilks and Kane. I think Tommy is no different to the rest of us, it’s easier when you’re winning - playing and supporting.

Thanks, glad you’re happy

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2018, 08:56:23 am by Campsall rover »
For me Kiwomya brings nothing to the team, he looks light weight, and where is this blistering pace that he's supposed to have.
He's had a full pre season now ,and i know it's early doors , but for me he needs to step it up and start showing why he deserves a shirt, and a bit of aggression in his play would help .
Looked a threat at Southend when he came on and did show some aggression and fight.
Give him a chance. There is definitely the potential. Looked 10 times the player he did at MK Dons last season. Yes I know Sat wasn’t great. Needs to get head up a bit more at times and do the basics better.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2018, 09:01:26 am by Retdon1 »
Looked a threat at Southend when he came on and did show some aggression and fight.
Give him a chance. There is definitely the potential. Looked 10 times the player he did at MK Dons last season. Yes I know Sat wasn’t great. Needs to get head up a bit more at times and do the basics better.

He needs to stop pulling out of challenges and start putting his foot in for starters.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2018, 09:01:40 am by Campsall rover »

And he is Captain. So leading by example. Work rate is up 30% on last season. 70% at Southend.
He ran himself into the ground down there. I was very impressed.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 13, 2018, 09:06:49 am by sedwardsdrfc »

I'd like us to give him a run of games 1st see if he can become the player we signed

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 13, 2018, 09:24:46 am by wing commander »
    Round pegs in round holes makes all the difference doesn't it ?? I thought everyone played well and we played with so much more pace in the game and that gave us much more space at times..Mason had a great game and that's his natural position where he can play out without having to keep cutting back in..All in all it was a very promising performance..

If there was one criticism it was our set pieces and crossing.We had lots of corners and they were pretty poor tbh,sailing over everybody's heads or into the keepers arms but I'm sure they are working on that this week...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 13, 2018, 09:27:00 am by Filo »
My observations

Mason last season was reluctant to get forward at left wingback, he was on his weaker side all the time, on Saturday we saw a different player at right back in a back four, joined in attack at the correct times and attacked the byline, something he rarely did last season. What a difference it makes having a right back at right back and having a left back at left back. Copps needs to be played in that front three just behind the strikers in a 4-3-1-2, which effectivley becomes a 4-4-2 when we haven't got the ball. Herbie Kane is better than Jordan Houghton, at 19 years of age he commanded that midfield like a seasoned pro. As others have said Tommy Rowe will thrive in that midfield position. Malik Wilkes needs to get his head up more and see other players, he's strong and quick and can cause problems, but sometims Malik you need to pass the ball.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 13, 2018, 09:39:48 am by ravenrover »
Thought that Kane was totally different to Houghton. JH was an out and out def mid HK is more flexible and rotated with Whiteman going forward or defending, one went the other stayed and vice-versa for me unfair to compare them directly JH did a very good job particularly in his 1st spell at what he was asked to do by DF just sit in front of back 4 and break things up

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 13, 2018, 12:21:09 pm by adamtherover »
what i thought was amzing considering we are talking about players being in their correct positions..  was..  WTF was Joe wright doing on the shoulder of the last defender primed for tommy to send him clear...  This was no set piece, but a fast break.. he was well in front of the play as we won the ball in midfield.  This tells me the defenders have total confidence in each other, and if one is needed to help an attack, they have each others backs!.  His finish as well was sublime, any striker would be delighted to finish as calm as he did.  If you see the goal again, the teams reaction, especially John Marquis's was fantastic.  This is a team as one!, playing for the manager, the shirt, and the fans!! Hopefully long may it continue!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 13, 2018, 12:53:31 pm by ravenrover »
I think Joe was just a bit slow in getting back from the previous set piece

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 13, 2018, 01:32:34 pm by adamtherover »
Lol, slow, the ball had gone back over the half way line, then back to the penno area..  :-)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 13, 2018, 04:54:53 pm by Mike_F »
Regardless of what he was doing up there, it was a brilliant finish. I echo Adam's sentiments, it was a goal that any striker would be proud of.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 13, 2018, 08:34:30 pm by Campsall rover »
My observations

Mason last season was reluctant to get forward at left wingback, he was on his weaker side all the time, on Saturday we saw a different player at right back in a back four, joined in attack at the correct times and attacked the byline, something he rarely did last season. What a difference it makes having a right back at right back and having a left back at left back. Copps needs to be played in that front three just behind the strikers in a 4-3-1-2, which effectivley becomes a 4-4-2 when we haven't got the ball. Herbie Kane is better than Jordan Houghton, at 19 years of age he commanded that midfield like a seasoned pro. As others have said Tommy Rowe will thrive in that midfield position. Malik Wilkes needs to get his head up more and see other players, he's strong and quick and can cause problems, but sometims Malik you need to pass the ball.
We think alike Filo.
The front 3 have to be flexible, not rigid. When Copps plays he needs to be behind the strikers or a free role like he had on Sat. If Wilks and Marquis get closer together at times then they will be a formidable pair.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 13, 2018, 08:53:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agree re Rowe. Having been a critic of his in/out performances, he certainly gave much more over the 90. Some really good interchanges of passing including the assist.

Mason, thought he was too weak last v Southend but improved defensively and attacking.

Would also agree that Kane is more like Richie Wellens than Houghton.

The formation demands they they attack and defend as a unit where McCann believes he doesn't need a defensive midfielder.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012