Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:44:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: West stand middle exit  (Read 8183 times)

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
West stand middle exit
« on August 13, 2018, 04:23:19 pm by elmsallrover »
Could someone tell me why this exit was closed on Saturday after the match I know I read something about it last season but bloody hell it was murder going down the exit next to the South stand especially for those bad on there feet and use in walking sticks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:27:17 pm by elmsallrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

robchester

• Forum Member
Re: West stand middle exit
« Reply #1 on August 13, 2018, 04:45:59 pm by robchester »
It’s the emergency refuge for the disabled supporters should there be a problem. They would stay there until the emergency services get them out if I remember the reason correctly. It needs to be kept clear for the safety certificate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 13, 2018, 05:09:09 pm by silent majority »
That's right robchester.

It's not the clubs choosing but has to be done for the reason you stated.

builder jon

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 13, 2018, 07:56:24 pm by builder jon »
Martin any chance of asking if we could have better lighting on the exit near the south stand as on a night match or a dark afternoon its poorly lit for us older folk to see the steps thank you.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 13, 2018, 08:44:29 pm by silent majority »
Martin any chance of asking if we could have better lighting on the exit near the south stand as on a night match or a dark afternoon its poorly lit for us older folk to see the steps thank you.

I can certainly do that for you.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 13, 2018, 10:53:07 pm by elmsallrover »
It’s the emergency refuge for the disabled supporters should there be a problem. They would stay there until the emergency services get them out if I remember the reason correctly. It needs to be kept clear for the safety certificate.
then why were the police and stewards walking up and them on Saturday

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 13, 2018, 11:13:06 pm by silent majority »

Why is that relevant?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 14, 2018, 12:27:37 am by Filo »
My understanding is that the stairway is a fire barrier, meaning that in the event of a fire disabled people that have mobility issues can use that stairway to evacute safely, the fire barrier gives them more time to evacuate

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 14, 2018, 05:42:10 am by Donnywolf »
To cut to the Chase as they say .. we did this to death back in April

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=265869.msg772713#msg772713

If people cant be bothered to read it all just look at Reply #40 which is comprehensive and to the point ....
.... and to save more time I have copied and pasted here

After a series of communications with the club I think we can put this one to bed;

The central stairwell on the West stand is not an entry/exit route.

The route in question is the designated safe refuge area in case of fire, and in our case, will be used by our disabled supporters. It's designed to withstand a longer period of smoke and fire and give time for supporters to be evacuated in a timely fashion by stewards or fire service.

All stadium capacities for ingress and egress are calculated on the two stair exits at either end of the concourse.  If you mirror this to the East stand you could say there are three exits one at each end next to the turnstile entrance and the entry/exit route from the concourse into the East reception. This route is not a normal exit route and not part of the safe capacity calculations.

Although the club have been happy for it to be used but now its been highlighted during the inspection the club have to act. The Safety Officer will have no choice but to comply.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 14, 2018, 06:44:48 am by roversdude »
Think they need to move the tv screen away from the South end exit in West stand - people watching scores create a hazard on egress

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 14, 2018, 07:54:32 am by Chris Black come back »
Is the germane point that the West stand is by no means anywhere near full, yet following the closure of the middle exit, it is a massive shitstorm trying to get out of the available exits? God only knows what would happen if we had a full house trying to get down those stairwells.

Also for the disabled folk, in the event of a fire, I presume all lifts would immediately be out of use so how is the middle exit going to help them?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:36:30 am by Chris Black come back »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 14, 2018, 08:03:14 am by Donnywolf »
That is a great point and one I have mentioned loads of times before.

The TVs are of course useful for those who want to watch them but are a barrier as you say when it comes to getting out at the end - and ironically they were why I started using the now closed Mid exit in the West not that that is without its problems

The Telly's (including the middle one) also make for bottlenecks at half time as people try to move about to TBars or Toilets or just for "walkies" especially for the people at the very ends of the Stand - as indeed do the Kiosk queues

However its tight and narrow and a solution would be difficult and it may be something we all just have to live with

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 14, 2018, 08:06:40 am by IDM »
Our concourses are huge and well equipped compared to some..

The away end concourse at Sheffield Utd is far too small (in my opinion) for the capacity, and in the other end if the scale, at Crewe you get bugger all, inside that is.!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 14, 2018, 08:08:25 am by Donnywolf »
Is the germane point not that the West stand is by no means anywhere near full, yet following the closure of the middle exit, it is a massive shitstorm trying to get out of the available exits? God only knows what would happen if we had a full house trying to get down those stairwells.

Also for the disabled folk, in the event of a fire, I presume all lifts would immediately be out of use so how is the middle exit going to help them?

I think that is the main point of the Middle exit. Those not totally "fit" to escape down the 2 end exits would be directed (or make their way) into that area. It is my understanding that they are not supposed to try to get down the Stairs themselves which could be difficult if not impossible for some - rather that they are afforded a place which is able to withstand poor / dangerous conditions allowing a longer time for the Emergency Services to arrive on scene and evacuate those "protected" by that zone

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 14, 2018, 08:18:07 am by Donnywolf »
Is the germane point not that the West stand is by no means anywhere near full, yet following the closure of the middle exit, it is a massive shitstorm trying to get out of the available exits? God only knows what would happen if we had a full house trying to get down those stairwells.

I agree that removing the middle exit is not ideal as it adds to the "pressure" on the 2 alternative routes out which themselves are not ideal due to the 90 degree turns

However whilst that exit is inconvenient at the end of the game in normal circumstances I am hoping that they never need to be used in a full evacuation. I think (hope) it is extremely unlikely that we see a Fire on the scale of Bradford City - due to the Stadiu designs and materials BUT if such a mass event happened in the West then it would likely as not be behind most people who I am sure would simply exit onto the Pitch

Its not something that can really be tested nor something I would like to witness just to see if "it worked" out but there will have had to be Fire Risk Assessments etc which have factored in such things

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2018, 08:26:03 am by colfromdonny »
Why can't we be allowed to walk down to the pitch and walk towards the south stand and exit through the corner like they do at Blackburn.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2018, 11:46:34 am by silent majority »

Hi builder jon,

The club have said this was already on their radar and the facilities manager has been asked to look into it. They are currently assessing options.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 16, 2018, 12:07:43 pm by Axholme Lion »

Because South Yorkshire Police are 'special'.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 16, 2018, 12:46:56 pm by Draytonian III »
Colfromdonny makes a very good point about the South stand, lots more of other clubs let you exit at pitch level

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 16, 2018, 02:40:41 pm by Donnywolf »
It would certainly help speed wise - and would bypass "the Telly watchers" jam

It would become REALLY useful when TV Vans take up all the space outside the West and create a real bottleneck

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 16, 2018, 02:43:35 pm by silent majority »
You won't get that past the Safety team.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 16, 2018, 02:53:48 pm by Donnywolf »

Because South Yorkshire Police are 'special'.

Because they know at the time they are using them that no "full Evacuation causing Incident" is underway .

The Club / Safety Team just need to ensure that we as Punters get used to NOT going out that way so they can reserve the space for the less mobile in case (unlikely as it is) that we need a full evacuation

Personally I would not be surprised if there was a massive fire (it will never happen) to see the me me me thing kick in as people just barged past everything in their way including the less able. I will never know because the likelihood is about as great as me beating Usain Bolt (even after been given a 50 Metre start)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 16, 2018, 04:30:20 pm by Filo »
It would certainly help speed wise - and would bypass "the Telly watchers" jam

It would become REALLY useful when TV Vans take up all the space outside the West and create a real bottleneck
good point regarding the tv vans around the exits

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 16, 2018, 05:07:43 pm by TheFunk »
Anyone leaving the West Stand at the northern end are no longer allowed to exit into the car park clockwise by the stewards. The secret is to stick your head down and ignore them whilst they gather round the fans hurling abuse at them.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 16, 2018, 05:16:11 pm by Filo »
Anyone leaving the West Stand at the northern end are no longer allowed to exit into the car park clockwise by the stewards. The secret is to stick your head down and ignore them whilst they gather round the fans hurling abuse at them.

Yes I wondered what that is all about, any ideas?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 16, 2018, 08:08:01 pm by TheFunk »
Not a clue. I guess it's to keep the home and away fans apart. All it will achieve is even more fans exiting at the other end in effect going from 3 exits to 1.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 18, 2018, 10:31:25 am by Draytonian III »
I can’t see it being much of an issue this season apart from half a dozen matches,Barnsley,Sunderland,Luton,Portsmouth etc. This Tuesday there won’t be masses of traveling support from Shrewsbury. Mind you when the Accrington Ultras turn up later in the season I expect all police leave will be cancelled in South Yorkshire.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 21, 2018, 11:00:15 pm by Muttley »

What a waste of stewarding resources! Absolutely no need at tonight's game with so few Shrewsbury fans there.

Not sure what they are trying to achieve as I can't ever recall there being any flashpoints at that point in the past.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 21, 2018, 11:15:16 pm by TheFunk »
All they appear to have achieved is pissing off our own supporters. Certainly were some angry confrontations between stewards and supporters tonight.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 21, 2018, 11:24:10 pm by Muttley »
I just walked through them - no way I'm going to make a massive detour round the stadium to get home.

If they are that afraid of supporters clashing, how come there was no stewarding in sight when I walked through 5 minutes before kick off?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012