Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:55:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 3 game winning start  (Read 2087 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
3 game winning start
« on August 15, 2018, 10:59:05 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm sure the stattos (Dutch, Baron) can corroborate or correct, but I saw a stat on Twitter that Grant McCann is apparently the first Rovers manager to win his first three games in charge of the club in all competitions since Stan Anderson way back in 1975.

Another good positive if so and I thought somewhat poignant since Anderson died a couple of months ago, mere weeks before McCann's arrival here in fact.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: 3 game winning start
« Reply #1 on August 16, 2018, 01:19:58 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Sammy Chung won his first 3 League games in Aug 94, and then drew 3. Though he lost a League Cup game in the middle of that.

Stan won his first 5 games.

No other manager of ours has won the first 3 in all games or in just the League, that's going back to Billy Calder in 1920-21.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:22:48 am by Bristol Red Rover »

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 16, 2018, 03:26:43 am by richtherover »
Incorrect. We won our first 5 games in the 1990/91 season under King Billy and in typical  Rovers style proceeded to lose the next 4.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 16, 2018, 03:36:35 am by richtherover »
Apologies I misread the quote. I thought you meant from the start of a season. Bremner was already manager of course. RTID

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2018, 09:39:48 am by Chris Black come back »
Sammy Chung won his first 3 League games in Aug 94, and then drew 3. Though he lost a League Cup game in the middle of that.

No other manager of ours has won the first 3 in all games or in just the League, that's going back to Billy Calder in 1920-21.

My recollection of the first season of Sammy was that we were the last league side to concede a goal. It was I see in our seventh league game in mid September that we conceded our first league goal! What a guy.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2018, 12:31:00 pm by Jonathan »

My recollection of the first season of Sammy was that we were the last league side to concede a goal. It was I see in our seventh league game in mid September that we conceded our first league goal! What a guy.

First goals conceded in a 2-0 defeat at Bury.

We had a great team that season but I seem to remember we began disbanding it before the transfer deadline and our chances of doing anything fizzled out.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 16, 2018, 07:00:20 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I believe Jackie Bestall had a successful start in league matches if we discount wartime competitions. He won the first 5 league games of the 1946-47 season - his first league season as Rovers manager.

Dave Penney had a fairly successful start in installments, so to speak. First as joint caretaker manager with Mark Atkins in April 2000 he won his first two Conference matches and in total won 3 and drew 1 of their 5 matches in charge.

He lost his first match in charge as sole caretaker in December 2001, before winning his next 6 on the bounce and becoming full time manager.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2018, 07:19:09 pm by Branton Rover »
I remember the start to the 1999/91 season winning first 4 matches - then our next game was at York City, it was the game after the death of David Longhurst & remember putting money into the collection buckets that were doing the rounds on the terraces for his family - the game didn’t seem to matter & we lost the game which didn’t mean anything - I remember thinking we shouldn’t win that particular match anyway

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2018, 07:51:33 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I believe Jackie Bestall had a successful start in league matches if we discount wartime competitions. He won the first 5 league games of the 1946-47 season - his first league season as Rovers manager.

Dave Penney had a fairly successful start in installments, so to speak. First as joint caretaker manager with Mark Atkins in April 2000 he won his first two Conference matches and in total won 3 and drew 1 of their 5 matches in charge.

He lost his first match in charge as sole caretaker in December 2001, before winning his next 6 on the bounce and becoming full time manager.

then ironically lost the first match in charge as proper manager !!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:53:53 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 16, 2018, 11:22:05 pm by Chris Black come back »

First goals conceded in a 2-0 defeat at Bury.

We had a great team that season but I seem to remember we began disbanding it before the transfer deadline and our chances of doing anything fizzled out.
My favourite Rovers side. Plenty of folks in there from very lowest end of the game but collectively an invincible group. Swales, Lawrence, Jones, Harper, Brabin, Hackett, Kirby, Parish, Roche, er.  They were like this current side - direct, tough and lots of goals.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2018, 04:13:05 am by scawsby steve »
I remember the start to the 1999/91 season winning first 4 matches - then our next game was at York City, it was the game after the death of David Longhurst & remember putting money into the collection buckets that were doing the rounds on the terraces for his family - the game didn’t seem to matter & we lost the game which didn’t mean anything - I remember thinking we shouldn’t win that particular match anyway

They beat us 3-1, Branton; I can remember they had a little mid-fielder called Tony Canham, he ran us ragged that day.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2018, 10:01:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We won the first 5 league matches in 90/91. Then lost the next 4 on the bounce.

Rollercoaster times. The genius of Bremner putting together a potentially excellent side from nothing, and always the emphasis on attacking. Creating chances and being prepared to be hit back.

Wonderful to watch when it worked. A bit tough to take the 8-3 aggregate defeat to Rotherham in the first round of the League Cup that year though.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2018, 10:41:03 am by turnbull for england »
Each player won a tele though

TinyPortal © 2005-2012