Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why do Barnsley...  (Read 7580 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Why do Barnsley...
« on September 12, 2018, 10:33:19 pm by Donnyjim »
Get 3000 plus more home fans than us? I know they've just come down but the town is smaller than ours and hasn't even got its own post code.  I guess they just have a bigger fan base historically?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Why do Barnsley...
« Reply #1 on September 12, 2018, 10:39:47 pm by pib »
Probably historical. They've been a Tier 2 side for most of their history and we've been a Tier 3 or 4 side for most of ours. I guess that helps to attract fans through the generations and not as many gravitate to Blades/Owls/Leeds etc.

I'm sure Jim Dobbin will know though.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 12, 2018, 11:25:37 pm by Donnyjim »
I'm just wondering if they do a head count in the stands at Oakwell? There may be 11k heads visible but are there as many bodies? 😆😆😆🤔

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 12, 2018, 11:41:09 pm by Draytonian III »
It could also be down to them counting using their fingers and toes ......

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 13, 2018, 12:47:55 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think Barnsley as a town is more together in terms of identity and history, compared to Donny which is perhaps more cosmopolitan. We may have a large metropolitan area but that doesn't count for much in terms of core support. Don't get me wrong all towns have more diverse populations and Barnsley also have their fare share of Leeds and Owls fans. Yes, they have been more successful so perhaps cling to a core support slightly better than we do.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 13, 2018, 06:28:49 am by DINGLE »
In early to mid nineties, Barnsley was same as Doncaster and Rotherham in having thousands of so called Wensdeh and Leeds fans, they weren’t actually supporters of them clubs but when asked they’d say I’m a Leeds/wensdeh fan, despite not being able to pick out their grounds on a map.

When we got promoted to the premiership that shower of shyte saw it as a opportunity to go and watch the best clubs in England on their doorstep for £300 with a season ticket, being surrounded by genuine reds fans they slowly realised what it was to be a active football supporter and they got the bug, and kept renewing year after year, before that our crowds were worse than what yours are now.

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 14, 2018, 09:42:18 am by djoftherovers1 »
Look back over last few generations and Doncaster has a huge split of Leeds fans and then the 2 Sheffield clubs have took a percentage too, in Barnsley you don't get that as much they all grow up supporting the local team.. hopefully going forward we are getting the same kinda fans

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 14, 2018, 10:13:50 am by The Red Baron »
If you go back to the 70s, when a large number of Donny-based fans went over to the dark side (ie Leeds) there wasn't much to choose between Rovers and Barnsley. Both were in Division Four for most of the decade.

I think Dingle is right. The season they had in the Premier League made a huge difference to them in terms of support and it also came at the same time that Rovers' fortunes were at a very low ebb.

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 14, 2018, 11:04:52 am by DevilMayCry »
From wikipedia "Barnsley have spent more seasons at the second level of English football than any other team and on 3 January 2011 became the first club to achieve 1,000 wins in the second level of English football with a 2–1 home victory over Coventry City. Barnsley are also the first club to play 3,000 games in second-level league football (W1028, D747, L1224)."

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 14, 2018, 11:55:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's pretty obvious really. They've had nearly two generations during which they've been on average a division and a half higher than us.

Rotherham had a similar spell from 1970 to the mid 2000s of being a division and a half ahead of us and similarly their crowds were bigger than ours, all things being equal. But for most of the past half generation, we've been above them, and the gap in crowds has pretty much vanished now. Last year, they only averaged a couple of undred more than us, despite them going up and us pottering about mid table.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 14, 2018, 12:12:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Even in the fourth Div, late 70s when they had Mccarthy, Pickering, Millar, then Allan Clarke, they were pulling in a few more than us. Things picked up for them in the Ronnie Glavin, Ian Banks era whilst we were in the doldrums for the most part.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:15:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 14, 2018, 01:25:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Not much else to do in Barnsley on a Saturday afternoon.
But seriously that season in the Premier league made a difference as their gates went up to 18,000 and consequently when they went down a level and then 2 levels they kept a healthy percentage.
If you look at our recent 4 year consecutive spell in the Championship there was at least 1 season from my recollection that Barnsley’s ave gate was only just over 1000 more than ours.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 14, 2018, 01:28:01 pm by Campsall rover »
Did not state that of course I am referring to the season or seasons that Barnsley were in the Championship also.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 14, 2018, 01:46:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing Barnsley and Rovers battle it out for automatic promotion this season.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 14, 2018, 01:54:32 pm by phil old leake »
There’s too many Leeds supporters in the town. Historically in the 70’s Leeds attracted a fan base like man c and Man U   Kids just go with the flow band support the team their dad does. 
It’s just the way it is.
Used to piss me off when. I was a lad going into town before going to the game and seeing all the fans getting in buses outside waterdale.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 14, 2018, 05:38:58 pm by Branton Rover »
It’s historic especially places like Skellow/Campsall etc the pull of Revie’s Leeds was massive in the 70’s and we were always 4th division - add to that the Richardson era gives a good indication why we haemorrhaged support to other local clubs - from the mid 80’s onwards and the whole of the 90’s we were crap while other clubs enjoyed Premier League & Champions League

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 14, 2018, 08:05:57 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Probably historical. They've been a Tier 2 side for most of their history and we've been a Tier 3 or 4 side for most of ours. I guess that helps to attract fans through the generations and not as many gravitate to Blades/Owls/Leeds etc.

I'm sure Jim Dobbin will know though.

How do. History, thats it. The town loves the club and they have a great bond, even more so with the new owners and CEO. Off the field they are improving ten fold, have you seen their new family zone for example?
They don't mind the two seasons Rovers had a good run at them Rig, they were on their arses after administration. Well, so they tell me.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 14, 2018, 08:15:33 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Did not state that of course I am referring to the season or seasons that Barnsley were in the Championship also.

Difficult to compare Rovers best season in 50 years, averaged 9,041 in the final season in Championship.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 14, 2018, 08:16:00 pm by Campsall rover »
It’s historic especially places like Skellow/Campsall etc the pull of Revie’s Leeds was massive in the 70’s and we were always 4th division - add to that the Richardson era gives a good indication why we haemorrhaged support to other local clubs - from the mid 80’s onwards and the whole of the 90’s we were crap while other clubs enjoyed Premier League & Champions League
I think you can say 60’s and early 70’s with regard to support going to Leeds.
You say Skellow and Campsall but I am sure you are referring to the whole of the Northern side of Doncaster. Askern is still full of Leeds supporters. The present generation of 30/40 year olds parents supported them so it just follows down the generations.
I must be the exception to the rule as I am from Leeds and was brought up on them in the sixties.
Came to work at Adwick-le-Street Leisure centre in 1975. Started watching Rovers along side Leeds between 1975 & 1978.  Then Bremner becomes manager of Rovers in 1978 and I become a die hard Rovers fan.
Nobody can ever call me a glory hunter although Rovers have won more silverware than Leeds since 2003. Now there is a thought.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 14, 2018, 08:21:43 pm by Campsall rover »

Difficult to compare Rovers best season in 50 years, averaged 9,041 in the final season in Championship.
I think it was 9,400 in 2011/12 Relegatiion and the experiment.
2008/09 1st season we averaged 11,940

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 14, 2018, 08:25:53 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Rovers
http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/donr.htm

Barnsley
http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bars.htm

In the last couple of years their crowds are improving compared to same level attendances. They averaged just under 10k last time at this level, already averaging nearly 12k having played two teams with small away followings.

Must be marketing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:35:53 pm by Jim Dobbin »

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 14, 2018, 09:14:06 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Outside of the immediate town, the east and south side of Doncaster contribute massively to our overall fan base. Whilst Leeds, Sheffield clubs, and Premier League All Stars etc. have undoubtedly nicked a fair share of support during our dire years, North Lincs and North Notts have continued to provide loyal bands of support. Yet these are still the areas most neglected by the DRFC marketing team, leaving it wide open for the likes of Scunny, Lincoln and the Notts clubs to exploit the floaters. We may not be Yorkshire, but we're all Donny, aren't we?

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 15, 2018, 05:08:09 am by andysly »
Noticed a Donny Owls flag at the England game the other night, just made me wonder how many football fans migrate from Donny on a Saturday to watch Leeds, Wednesday etc etc
Probably enough to turn our 7,500 crowd into 9,000 or more. Certainly remember dozens of Donny whites getting on the train at Doncaster for the away games at Elland Rd.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 15, 2018, 07:37:56 am by Jim Dobbin »
Do Doncaster contribute massively to the Sheffield clubs? I don't think so just because there's a Donny Owls flag, its over 20 miles away from Sheffield and other than Rovers fans its populated by Donny Whites. Rotherham and Barnsley are 8-10 miles away from Sheffield, Hillsborough is that close to Oakwell the Blades call them South Barnsley.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 15, 2018, 08:11:15 am by Herbert Anchovy »
It’s an odd one. Everywhere I’ve lived in Yorkshire has a large number of Leeds fans, not just Donny. It’s just that we seem to have more of a complex about it. I lived in Huddersfield for a time in the 80’s andvthst place was filled tonthe rafters with Leeds. Regarding Barnsley, I used to see quite a lot of Wednesday fans there, many more than in Donny.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 15, 2018, 09:44:07 am by idler »
In my opinion the biggest mistake was in 1966. We didn't improve the team after going up as champions with fantastic gates at the end of the season.
John Nicholson getting killed, Alick out for two months after the crash and selling Laurie Sheffield to Norwich. All down to Hubert Bates.
A good stabilising season then rather than relegation and it could have set us up for years.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 15, 2018, 09:57:32 am by IDM »
I don’t get the thing about more marketing..  if folks have a passing interest in football, then these days it is very easy to find out when we play, ticket prices etc..

What may require marketing action is where we have special offers, for individual games, season tickets, packages etc.. 

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 15, 2018, 10:57:19 am by pib »
I don’t get the thing about more marketing..  if folks have a passing interest in football, then these days it is very easy to find out when we play, ticket prices etc..

What may require marketing action is where we have special offers, for individual games, season tickets, packages etc..

Marketing goes much beyond promoting matches. It’s about creating a feeling that people can be part of a special club and belong to something that will matter to them.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 15, 2018, 11:26:58 am by IDM »
Maybe I have an old fashioned attitude, but doesn’t going to the match and being there serve that purpose.?

Does for me..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 15, 2018, 12:45:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Until you get them to the match though how do you show them that that's the case? Marketing and advertising plays a huge role in attracting fans, Rovers things should be all over town all the time then people feel like it's a key part of the town and it looks like something they should start being a part of.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012