Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why do Barnsley...  (Read 7582 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Why do Barnsley...
« Reply #30 on September 15, 2018, 01:09:19 pm by IDM »
I have no objections to that per se, just talking from my own experiences..

When I have been away from the doncaster area,  and fancied taking in a game, I just looked at the newspaper, teletext and these days online to find a game..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 15, 2018, 01:22:00 pm by RoversAlias »
Aye but you're already "hooked" so to speak by that point. Potential new fans might not know the best ways to find out when matches are on, or ticket prices etc. Sadly as well, many people won't "go out of their way" to make the effort unless it's suggested to them or they are presented with marketing moves that make them take notice.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 15, 2018, 01:41:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Indirect marketing doesn't work as it has very little impact. There are hundreds of fans out there who have gotten out of the habit for various reasons and it's from that market you are more likely to get some success. Most of these people have previously been regulars or occasionals who know how to get tickets, have used the ticket office or website before. I think we know what is likely to entice them back and that largely comes from what happens on the pitch. We need another taste of success and Championship football to make inroads into persuading people to break the non habit. We've seen the snowball effect in the past and there's no reason it couldn't happen again.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 15, 2018, 01:53:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It is all about success on the pitch.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 15, 2018, 05:33:39 pm by IDM »
Precisely BB..

There’s no stronger marketing for us than going away to a team unbeaten in the league and stuffing them 4-1.!

Long may it continue..

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 15, 2018, 05:40:52 pm by dknward2 »
Can’t wait for us to come up against a poor team if we can score 4 against a undefeated side whose fans were expecting nothing but beating us by 2 or more goals

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 15, 2018, 06:47:05 pm by drfchound »
Can’t wait for us to come up against a poor team if we can score 4 against a undefeated side whose fans were expecting nothing but beating us by 2 or more goals

It doesn't always work out that way though does it.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 15, 2018, 07:44:50 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Barnsley took 1500 more to their away game today. Imagine the leger had some impact but that’s a massive difference for similar distances.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 15, 2018, 08:05:22 pm by pib »
Maybe I have an old fashioned attitude, but doesn’t going to the match and being there serve that purpose.?

Does for me..

Everyone is different, and tbf you probably don’t represent the sort of fan who has a “passing interest in football” as you originally said.

As someone else said, it’s about getting people to the match first so they won’t get the feeling you describe from the match if they’re not attending.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 15, 2018, 09:45:05 pm by RedJ »
Barnsley took 1500 more to their away game today. Imagine the leger had some impact but that’s a massive difference for similar distances.

Good for them.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 16, 2018, 07:11:51 am by les@donr »

Good for them.

....and lost.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 16, 2018, 07:47:34 am by RobTheRover »
Barnsley have half a dozen people and a dog behind the scenes.  This isnt about marketing.  Its as Dingle has stated.  That season in the PL has influenced exacty the kind of fans we lose to L**ds and Sheffield, and the ripples from that are still being felt.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 16, 2018, 07:53:25 am by Jim Dobbin »
Barnsley have half a dozen people and a dog behind the scenes.  This isnt about marketing.  Its as Dingle has stated.  That season in the PL has influenced exacty the kind of fans we lose to L**ds and Sheffield, and the ripples from that are still being felt.

They had a billboard in Times Square, that dog must be doing well. The new owners are all about off the field at the moment.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6106589/How-Gauthier-Ganaye-footballs-youngest-chief-executive-29-impressing-Barnsley.html

I think their recent surge in crowds is to do with their double Wembley wins, they've had an administration since their Prem days.

I honestly don't know what Rovers can do about their crowds, even after the recent success of Championship football they topped out at 12k.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:02:46 am by Jim Dobbin »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 16, 2018, 08:36:05 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's not a lot in that article that Rovers aren't doing anyway. The club does special things for ordinary fans to cement that bond. When good times come, like now, the clubs just got to be in the right place to keep hold of those returning fans and new fans alike. If the match experience off the field is good a enough to match that on it, then we will start averaging 10k crowds once more.

It's the next big step that is the difficult one!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:40:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 16, 2018, 10:39:58 am by silent majority »

They had a billboard in Times Square, that dog must be doing well. The new owners are all about off the field at the moment.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6106589/How-Gauthier-Ganaye-footballs-youngest-chief-executive-29-impressing-Barnsley.html

I think their recent surge in crowds is to do with their double Wembley wins, they've had an administration since their Prem days.

I honestly don't know what Rovers can do about their crowds, even after the recent success of Championship football they topped out at 12k.

And if you read the article the CEO even mentions that the club has a 'small structure'. Which essentially means they have very few staff.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 16, 2018, 10:52:15 am by Padge_DRFC »
Just face it we have the lowest number of fans in Yorkshire. Apart from Rotherham considerably lower. People already support Leeds. Their sons will to and so on so on. It’s then down to kids parents who didn’t have a football team to take them and gain an interest.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 16, 2018, 10:54:15 am by Bezza »
i will stick to what we have at Donny, a rugby union team in the championship, a rugby league team, a top class racecourse, an airport and a wildlife park,as well as our football team that could stuff Barnsley this season,not really much going for Barnsley. its football and nothing else.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 16, 2018, 11:35:35 am by pib »
I agree that it’s mainly the Premier League / sustained spells in a higher division factors, but just take one look at Barnsley’s digital marketing output. It’s very good, especially to say it’s apparently done with a small team.

Not having a go at Rovers or anybody at the club, because this side of things is getting better, but there are still areas that could improve IMO.

You can dismiss digital marketing as not being relevant or not making a difference to attracting fans, but this is 2018, not 1985. The next generation of fans and potential fans are all on social media & YouTube and they can all be attracted to the club on the “emotion” the club create through marketing.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 16, 2018, 02:14:11 pm by RedJ »
i will stick to what we have at Donny, a rugby union team in the championship, a rugby league team, a top class racecourse, an airport and a wildlife park,as well as our football team that could stuff Barnsley this season,not really much going for Barnsley. its football and nothing else.

Suppose in Barnsley you've got first dibs on your sister as well. Though I imagine/hope that's an incentive localised to Barnsley...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 16, 2018, 02:53:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's always scope for didital marketing as it's more targeted and I can only comment from were I stand, the club seems to be much better with their use of social media.

As said above, you'd expect more folk to turn up and like what they see on the pitch and things like the newly expanded fan park can only help enhance the off field experience.

Providing we maintain this form we have to secure our crown jewels with the manager and players who are capable of making the grade at Championship level and want to do it with us. That and statements of ambition such as securing the services of Wilks and possibly the likes of Kane etc, will prepare us to make that leap and gain the belief of fans in wanting to buy tickets for next season.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 16, 2018, 04:18:23 pm by pib »
There’s a lot of criticism of the club, but lets put a few facts in...

1) A winning team
2) Affordable ticket prices

Those will help to boost attendances no end and will be the biggest factors. You hardly ever see a top of the table team playing in an empty stadium, yet a crap team will always have an empty stadium.

The way Rovers have conducted themselves with the passing of Pie Man also makes a massive impression and that’ll reach a bigger local audience than any marketing b*llocks will do.

There’s always ways to do improve, etc, but the club is miles more professional than it was 10 years ago.

That's PR. Different ball game for marketing. If you think it's "b*llocks" then I'm glad you're not working for or advising the club.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 16, 2018, 04:48:10 pm by sheffield exile1 »
If you look in some of the older programmes from the last halcyon days in tier 2 in the 50's same comments about lack of crowds and we played Man C, Liverpool, West Ham. Blackburn, Derby and  Forest. Interestingly a West Ham away programme said it hoped that season's crowd was higher than the 6.000 they got for the same fixture the previous season! Of course away fans travelling was not anywhere like today and the reserves pulled in thousands as thay was the norm to go to as opposed to the first team away.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 16, 2018, 05:01:21 pm by pib »
There’s a lot of criticism of the club, but lets put a few facts in...

1) A winning team
2) Affordable ticket prices

Those will help to boost attendances no end and will be the biggest factors. You hardly ever see a top of the table team playing in an empty stadium, yet a crap team will always have an empty stadium.

The way Rovers have conducted themselves with the passing of Pie Man also makes a massive impression and that’ll reach a bigger local audience than any marketing b*llocks will do.

There’s always ways to do improve, etc, but the club is miles more professional than it was 10 years ago.

That's PR. Different ball game for marketing. If you think it's "b*llocks" then I'm glad you're not working for or advising the club.

Thing is though you can do marketing, marketing, marketing until the cows come home.

More often than not it's already preaching to the converted - the 'Football for a Fiver' posts will be shared by converts, already bitten by the bug, and seen by the same audience - as well as the ones who follow/friends with the said converts on social media, etc.

That 'PR' is brilliant as it'll be noticed by people who aren't necessarily fans, but people who are Pie Man's mates, family, etc, and the impression it sets is fantastic.

If there was a magic wand for good marketing that works they'd be a mid-table club in this league playing in a full stadium every week, selling-out, with memberships, etc, galore, but there isn't one.

Success on the pitch and cheap tickets are the two biggest factors. Get that right and everything else follows.

But that's just my opinion having seen it from both sides at different points over the past few years.

I don't disagree with your highlighted comments, but there's more to marketing than "football for a fiver" type posts that just try to overtly sell tickets, as I've talked about previously in this thread. It's all about generating a feeling and a belonging, and not just saying "we're playing this weekend and it costs this much"

I'll shut up about it now anyway. I respect that other people have different views so I'll agree to disagree.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012