Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:19:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: David Cotterill  (Read 6382 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: David Cotterill
« Reply #30 on October 17, 2018, 04:32:09 pm by The Red Baron »
David Cotterill has just announced his retirement from professional football.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cotterill_david/status/1052578049949126656?p=v

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 18, 2018, 07:51:22 am by Pancho Regan »
A very eloquent and dignified statement from Cotts.
I'm chuffed that his achievement with Rovers ranks highly in his list of treasured memories.

I wish Cotts the very best of luck for the future, and thanks for providing some magic moments for me as a Donny fan.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 18, 2018, 08:27:16 am by GazLaz »
I'm chuffed that his achievement with Rovers ranks highly in his list of treasured memories.

I wish Cotts the very best of luck for the future, and thanks for providing some magic moments for me as a Donny fan.

* From his agent!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 18, 2018, 09:27:34 am by RoversAlias »

* From his agent!

Unnecessary of you. It's a little retirement post, why would he have his agent write it? And anyway, what does it matter?

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next, he was a great player for us and the way he's brought his mental health issues to light recently will help the discussion and movement towards destigmatising depression and related illnesses in our society.

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 18, 2018, 06:28:44 pm by vietaff »
He isn't wrong with anything he says with regards to clubs/managers needing to do more and the amount of footballers who probably have a problem with anxiety/depression or some sort.

An angle he doesn't touch on is how footballers who are released at 16-18, some of whom go from being the next 'big thing' to absolutely nothing overnight, suffer as well. There is almost no support in place for them and they're left to pretty much fall by the wayside.

Rigo, there was another good article on BBC the other day about George Green who was tipped for big things at Everton, he now plays for Chester after some struggles the last few years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45476430
I read that artical he said he will have blown half a million so far , something needs to done to help young kids from going from £500 a week to 10k and they should not feel embarrassed to say they need help

Spot on Rigo, being friends with Sean Thornton I have heard first hand exactly the same from him. Being from Ireland and a young kid he was given a mountain of luxuries but no one there to help him understand what it was all about, what he was supposed to do, how he was meant to cope with it all. He openly admitted he wished someone like Sir Alex was at Sunderland when he made his big move to nurture him....if he had done that then no doubt he would have played in the PL for years to come. Sadly he met drink and that took over his life (along with a missus who played with his emotions) and sadly he spent the latter of his career playing in Wales and back home in Ireland.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 18, 2018, 07:59:55 pm by GazLaz »
He isn't wrong with anything he says with regards to clubs/managers needing to do more and the amount of footballers who probably have a problem with anxiety/depression or some sort.

An angle he doesn't touch on is how footballers who are released at 16-18, some of whom go from being the next 'big thing' to absolutely nothing overnight, suffer as well. There is almost no support in place for them and they're left to pretty much fall by the wayside.

Rigo, there was another good article on BBC the other day about George Green who was tipped for big things at Everton, he now plays for Chester after some struggles the last few years.

I read that artical he said he will have blown half a million so far , something needs to done to help young kids from going from £500 a week to 10k and they should not feel embarrassed to say they need help

Spot on Rigo, being friends with Sean Thornton I have heard first hand exactly the same from him. Being from Ireland and a young kid he was given a mountain of luxuries but no one there to help him understand what it was all about, what he was supposed to do, how he was meant to cope with it all. He openly admitted he wished someone like Sir Alex was at Sunderland when he made his big move to nurture him....if he had done that then no doubt he would have played in the PL for years to come. Sadly he met drink and that took over his life (along with a missus who played with his emotions) and sadly he spent the latter of his career playing in Wales and back home in Ireland.

Did he not have any family to keep an eye on him?

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 18, 2018, 08:39:25 pm by Paul Simpson »
Class act. Thoroughly enjoyed watching him play for us 👍😀

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 20, 2018, 02:00:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Did he not have any family to keep an eye on him?

Of course, because everyone knows youngsters take heed of every piece of good advice given to them by caring family members.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012