Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:56:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Green Un  (Read 6261 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Green Un
« on September 22, 2018, 08:41:55 am by Donnywolf »
Just found this blast from the past (for those of a certain age). As you can see it was printed on Light Green paper and was THE way to find out how your team had done
Delivered in Stainy early on Saturday evening maybe by 6pm to 7 pm and it was an encyclopedia on Football including results and reports from Hatfield Main Thorne Colliery ect
Now online apparantly

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

darren61

Re: Green Un
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2018, 08:48:14 am by darren61 »
Always delivered early doors Saturday evening to the Askern Spa Club, a fantastic paper, then in came the bloke wearing a white jacket carrying a big basket filled with sea food, those were the days my friend!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2018, 08:54:28 am by Donnywolf »
... and in Thorne MW Club (Moorends) when the Kershaws Seafood Man came in the Concert Chairman used to bellow down the Mike to him " Have you got Crabs" ?

He always nodded - then the CC used to say " Ladies and Gentlemen - this Man has Crabs" and it got a laugh every week !

Those WERE the Days my Friend

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2018, 09:13:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
My sister, who for some reason always spoke posh, once asked for a 'Green One' when my dad asked her to get his Saturday evening paper.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2018, 09:46:52 am by DRNaith »
26 September 1959, that edition!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2018, 10:02:07 am by ravenrover »
Was always available at the Southern bus station by the time it took to walk back from Belle Vue

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2018, 10:14:23 am by Donnywolf »

Did we win ?  Cant blow it up enough to see !

My Green un story is stupid but true ... I have posted it here before once ! Green Un bloke use to go round Streets in Stainy shouting "Green Un SHEFFIELD Green un" and you then ran out in the dark and hand him a Threepenny Bit (Brass with multi sides - cant remember maybe 12)

While waiting for the call I was laid on my back on the floor throwing the 3d from one hand to the other. After many throws I somehow managed to throw it accidentally into my mouth (yes you do the jokes) and promptly swallowed it

On the Monday (maybe Sunday I cant remember) I went for an XRay at DRI and it showed up perfectly on the XRay. My Dad was told to take me home and wait for nature to take its course and we had to examine my p**p for evidence it had left my system.

One day I forgot to look and after that I never looked again but I am pretty sure I no longer have it - but I can never think of the Green Un without thinking of that "episode"  :laugh:

* Insert jokes about size of my Mouth below !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 22, 2018, 10:28:55 am by Bentley Bullet »
I know you like to keep hold of your money and perhaps the problem was you're a bit of a tight-arse, hence the difficulty in 'releasing' it.  ;)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2018, 11:02:44 am by Donnywolf »
 :thumbsup: You probably have a point !
The 3d had 12 of them I seem to remember but one gulp and there it was gone forever !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 22, 2018, 11:11:53 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure there are thousands across South Yorkshire who can remember the Green Un and the Cockle man being an integral part of the entertainment on offer in WMCs and social clubs. I can smell the vinegar now!

I'm sure many amateur footballers and cricketers used to look forward to seeing their names in print and sad buggers like me might still have the cuttings!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 22, 2018, 11:27:48 am by Donnywolf »
.... and the Waxy bags that the Cockles came in !

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 22, 2018, 11:32:55 am by Surrey Rover »

Did we win ?  Cant blow it up enough to see !

I was wondering the same so I've dug out Tony Bluff and Barry Watson's book and we lost 0-5 in a league 4 fixture away at...…

Gateshead!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 22, 2018, 11:35:44 am by Bentley Bullet »
I remember buying some Mussels in the Yarborough back in the 70's. Our lass said "what have you got them for"?  I said, "They make your muscles bigger"!
She said, "Does he sell Cockles"?  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:39:47 am by Bentley Bullet »

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 22, 2018, 11:41:12 am by sheffield exile1 »
.... and the Waxy bags that the Cockles came in !

Got it in Mexborough around 7pm when you think of the geographical area it was delivered to it was some achievement given transport links etc.
I remember many a man on the sunday dinner sesh having a dodgy cockle on the previous Saturday night making him sp*w up when home from pub/club. Swearing it was nothing to do with the 10 pints he had swigged back!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 22, 2018, 11:52:46 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I remember buying some Mussels in the Yarborough back in the 70's. Our lass said "what have you got them for"?  I said, "They make your muscles bigger"!

Yarborough. Had many a good Saturday night in there. So many clubs just memories now. There are not many left.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 22, 2018, 12:01:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's a depressing thought when you compare social life nowadays. Bentley had TWO major social clubs, The Yarborough and the Comrades, not to mention several other smaller venues. There was a choice of top-class entertainment every weekend.

raithy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 22, 2018, 01:17:31 pm by raithy »
Hey DonnyWolf was there any "change" after the X-ray?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 22, 2018, 01:40:11 pm by The Red Baron »
The on-line British Newspaper Archive has quite a lot of editions of the Green 'Un online. They only seem to go up to the 50s but they are a fantastic resource when you are researching an aspect of Rovers' history, as I am at the moment.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 22, 2018, 01:47:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
When I was at Uni in the 80s, my Dad used to post me the Green In every Monday. I'd get it Tues or Weds. And that would be the first time I'd have read owt about Donny's Saturday match beyond the scoreline.

I occasionally wonder whether we might all be a bit happier if information was as slow coming through these days.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 22, 2018, 05:51:44 pm by JonWallsend »
When I was at Uni in the 80s, my Dad used to post me the Green In every Monday. I'd get it Tues or Weds. And that would be the first time I'd have read owt about Donny's Saturday match beyond the scoreline.

I occasionally wonder whether we might all be a bit happier if information was as slow coming through these days.

Just took my daughter to Uni today and I was regaling a very similar tale of how every Tuesday the Green Un would arrive courtesy of my Grandma. Local results round up kept you up to date and then Peter Catt with his weekly review of what was happening. It was the only source of information back in the late 80's unless you were prepared to squander £4 on club call.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 22, 2018, 06:25:01 pm by graingrover »
Paul Mayfield used to send me cuttings  from Green un to my home in France many years before the I follow I  can use now.Paul has always been amazingly kind.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 22, 2018, 07:30:32 pm by elmsallrover »
the guy came into my local working man's club with a basket of Cockles
and mussels I'd say got any mussels mate he say with a smile yep I'd say then why don't you carry two baskets  then

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 22, 2018, 07:36:18 pm by Lesonthewest »
It's a depressing thought when you compare social life nowadays. Bentley had TWO major social clubs, The Yarborough and the Comrades, not to mention several other smaller venues. There was a choice of top-class entertainment every weekend.

Yarborough was the place to be for good groups back then, also seem to remember Wednesday night turns too.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 22, 2018, 07:40:04 pm by Bezza »
Saturday night out Green un, packet of cockles  a few pints and change from a fiver.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 22, 2018, 07:41:06 pm by Lesonthewest »
Used to leg it up to Junction Rd in Stainy to catch the Green 'Un seller around 7pm. Read from front to back every week, Rovers first then see how Hatty Main went on, great paper, great memories.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 22, 2018, 07:51:15 pm by Donnywolf »
Paul Mayfield used to send me cuttings  from Green un to my home in France many years before the I follow I  can use now.Paul has always been amazingly kind.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes - his dedication takes the Biscuit !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 22, 2018, 08:00:14 pm by Donnywolf »
Saturday night out Green un, packet of cockles  a few pints and change from a fiver.

As the 4 Yorkshireman sketch says - change from a Fiver ? You were robbed

I used to leave Stainy on 20 to 7  Bus (ninepence)
Have as many Pints as I wanted say 6 @ 2 Bob = 12 Bob
Bus fare back to Stainy (another 9 pence)
Fishcake and a big bag of Chips at Riccalls Chippy Princess Avenue 1 shilling and 6

Total for a brilliant night out 15 Bob or 75p as it is now (out of £1)

I did this every day of the Week and always put the change in a Pot in my bedroom so by Saturday I had 5 bob (25p) x 6 to go out with so that was 50% more than my usual £1 letting me feel like a king for that one night !

You tell the kids that today - they will never believe you !

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 22, 2018, 09:04:45 pm by IDM »
Fishcake?  Luxury.!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 22, 2018, 09:13:55 pm by drfchound »
I'm sure there are thousands across South Yorkshire who can remember the Green Un and the Cockle man being an integral part of the entertainment on offer in WMCs and social clubs. I can smell the vinegar now!

I'm sure many amateur footballers and cricketers used to look forward to seeing their names in print and sad buggers like me might still have the cuttings!

I still have my “cuttings” from way back when B.B.
If you scored in the first half you always got your name (in capital letters) in the green un match write up.
Happy days.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 22, 2018, 09:15:40 pm by ravenrover »
Ah but was it a proper one 2 slices of tater with mangled fish in the middle fried in batter or one of those weird orange breadcrumbed things with god knows what in the middle?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012