Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:49:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Green Un  (Read 6264 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Green Un
« Reply #30 on September 22, 2018, 11:14:04 pm by idler »
When I first moved to Bradford if I asked for a fishcake I was always offered the small birds eye type.
I eventually learned to just ask for a cake to get the sliced potato one.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 23, 2018, 08:02:38 am by 1879Rovers »
It used to amaze me how quickly they could get this paper out with all the results and match reports. I used to buy mine from an old Irish lad called Joe outside the Frenchgate.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 23, 2018, 08:38:17 am by RoversDave »
Used to get mine at Christchurch, and read it all on the way back to Thorne on the bus.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:54:00 pm by RoversDave »

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 23, 2018, 08:43:05 pm by Lifelong supporter »
A mate told me he knew someone who went to Peter Catt's 40th birthday party after a Rovers home game on a Saturday night many years ago and Peter had put Green Uns on nearly all the tables.
Apparently there were loads of people there including most of the first team squad of the time as well as ex-Rovers players and Billy Bremner, who was then manager of Leeds.
But nobody tucked into the food or danced to the music until they had caught up with the results and read the Green Un!
Like everyone else I remember queueing up at the local shop for the van to arrive with the paper when I was a kid.
I used to enjoy reading Catt's write ups.
He always seemed to know what was happening behind the scenes and must have known everyone at the club at the time.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 24, 2018, 07:20:36 am by Donnywolf »
Used to be a Green Un in Benalmadena - been in a few times in the past and I cant for the life of me remember who used to own it (keep thinking Alicks lad or a Rugby League player)
Google Maps - may work
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.5974675,-4.5181613,3a,75y,12.84h,82.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saxGMjewW25fJpSvPOOyUWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl

I remember it had real Green Uns in Frames on wall and loads of other sporting stuff
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:34:36 am by Donnywolf »

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 24, 2018, 07:49:59 am by tommy toes »
Ah but was it a proper one 2 slices of tater with mangled fish in the middle fried in batter or one of those weird orange breadcrumbed things with god knows what in the middle?
That's a patty not a fishcake!

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 24, 2018, 08:07:38 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
It used to amaze me how quickly they could get this paper out with all the results and match reports. I used to buy mine from an old Irish lad called Joe outside the Frenchgate.

Loved it when there was an evening kick off/delayed kick-off and the score/match report was partial. Think they printed it just as the final whistles went.

I used to get one every week as I delivered papers, they used to keep one for me.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 24, 2018, 09:27:41 am by ravenrover »
Ah but was it a proper one 2 slices of tater with mangled fish in the middle fried in batter or one of those weird orange breadcrumbed things with god knows what in the middle?
That's a patty not a fishcake!
Not at the chippies where I lived

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 24, 2018, 09:44:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
We call 'em Fritters!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 24, 2018, 05:05:38 pm by i_ateallthepies »
We called them Scallops.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 24, 2018, 05:16:57 pm by Filo »
I remember buying some Mussels in the Yarborough back in the 70's. Our lass said "what have you got them for"?  I said, "They make your muscles bigger"!
She said, "Does he sell Cockles"?  :ohmy:

Did she want a bigger cock like? 😂😂😂

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 24, 2018, 05:19:46 pm by Filo »
A mate told me he knew someone who went to Peter Catt's 40th birthday party after a Rovers home game on a Saturday night many years ago and Peter had put Green Uns on nearly all the tables.
Apparently there were loads of people there including most of the first team squad of the time as well as ex-Rovers players and Billy Bremner, who was then manager of Leeds.
But nobody tucked into the food or danced to the music until they had caught up with the results and read the Green Un!
Like everyone else I remember queueing up at the local shop for the van to arrive with the paper when I was a kid.
I used to enjoy reading Catt's write ups.
He always seemed to know what was happening behind the scenes and must have known everyone at the club at the time.

Might have done good write ups in the Green Un, but his boring monotone voice on iplayer is enough to send you into a deep sleep, and why when commentating does he refer to Rovers as Doncaster, it's like he's talking about a third party rather than someone with a long standing connection to the club.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:23:23 pm by Filo »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 24, 2018, 05:57:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Used to be a Green Un in Benalmadena - been in a few times in the past and I cant for the life of me remember who used to own it (keep thinking Alicks lad or a Rugby League player)
Google Maps - may work
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.5974675,-4.5181613,3a,75y,12.84h,82.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saxGMjewW25fJpSvPOOyUWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl

I remember it had real Green Uns in Frames on wall and loads of other sporting stuff

Ha ha, yes. I stumbled across the Green Un in Benalmadena a few yeas ago. An old Scottish Guy sunbathing with his Mrs on the beach used to disappear for a couple of hours. Next day asked him where he went and he says he goes to put his bets on and have a couple of pints. So that dinner time I went with him and I couldn't believe it. A little place down that side street festooned with photos of Donny Races and football shirts on the wall and, it's very own betting kiosk at the back. The barman used to frequent the Winning post at Balby!! Small world!!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 24, 2018, 10:31:08 pm by idler »
We called them Scallops.
We us d to do in Balby as well.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 25, 2018, 02:46:24 pm by Mike_F »
The Green 'Un on a Saturday evening then legging it home from school on a Monday to put up page 390 on Ceefax and 470 on Teletext (Local Sport) to read the Rovers match reports followed by a walk to Carol's newsagents in Wheatley Hills for a quarter of Sherbet Lemons and the Donny Star for more in-depth match reports and reactions. Sounds like another era but I'm only going back 20 years or so. As Billy Said, people seemed much happier with their lot before the instant, 24-hour on demand internet turned up to give every gobshite and crackpot an equal platform with connoisseurs and experts like what I am.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 25, 2018, 03:11:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Aye, in them days everything was in Black and White, apart from the Green un, which was Green.

Supporters all shared similar opinions based on facts. For instance, if the team was doing well they would praise it, and if the team was doing bad they would complain about it. Of course, that was in the days prior to when social media became responsible for the birth of the superfan.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 25, 2018, 03:12:53 pm by Donnywolf »
True and true again

It was what I was trying to convey / say in my Rovers Memorabilia article in the Fanzine. I reproduce it below

Compared to Copps’s 500th Shirt my “Poster” (pictured) pales into insignificance. Tatty and worth nowt it’s nevertheless priceless to me providing a link to my Rovers supporting past – my Dad – and a Supporters life so different it is hard to believe it is barely 45 years ago
In “those days” of no PC’s/Social media, no Mobile Phones/Teletext, the information on when “we” were at home next came via Saturdays Green Un, Programmes, your mates at School or work mates where “most” seemed interested, making for big Gates. Another way was Posters like this simply stuck on the windows of Rovers Express Buses.
Rovers Expresses ran from most areas around Donny and “mine” were double decker Blue Line Buses from Dunscroft via Stainy. They were for people without Cars or kids whose Dads worked shifts. They were cheap and great, picking you up on the Bus route at a constant time before KO so whatever day/time KO was you knew when it would appear. Sometimes it sailed past full and you instinctively knew another would be added and they never failed – taking you straight to Belle Vue.
Usually full of Pit Moggies (an endearing nickname), their kids and Smoke as it was allowed back then, the Buses were a hive of discussion and suppressed excitement. In those days you did not have or need a Forum – you just got on the Express and listened throughout the journey. Would we get there for KO? Would we win? What would the Team be? Who was dropped/injured or even signed? Unlike now you just did not know till you got a Programme and listened for the Team changes.
The Buses had no back doors so it seemed cold any time of year and often condensation rolled down the windows. At the end of the Game you ran full speed to get your preferred seat but if Rovers were losing badly the Express offered sanctuary from “further punishment” and many a time you were on there early with many others BUT bizarrely everyone was on the top-deck trying to see over the wall, watching and hoping for an unlikely comeback.
Then it was home, discussions in full flow whether you’d won or lost and you said “see you next game” to the people in your “club” as you disembarked and if the windows were wet you could leave with next weeks Poster even when 21!

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 25, 2018, 03:37:41 pm by walter the red »
Any devotees of Saturday nights in the Tadcaster Arms at Armthorpe will remember the green un seller "Claude ", who tended to be a little short tongued and when he came in with papers in his arms he would shout -not Green un but "Neen-un "- Then followed in by the Cockle man -What a night -Drinks,Green un,Cockles and watching and dancing (!) to " Alec Winstone and the Flintstones "-Happy memories eh ?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 25, 2018, 04:37:20 pm by GazLaz »
The Green 'Un on a Saturday evening then legging it home from school on a Monday to put up page 390 on Ceefax and 470 on Teletext (Local Sport) to read the Rovers match reports followed by a walk to Carol's newsagents in Wheatley Hills for a quarter of Sherbet Lemons and the Donny Star for more in-depth match reports and reactions. Sounds like another era but I'm only going back 20 years or so. As Billy Said, people seemed much happier with their lot before the instant, 24-hour on demand internet turned up to give every gobshite and crackpot an equal platform with connoisseurs and experts like what I am.

Did you ring Clubcall or didn’t they have phones in Wheatley??!!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 25, 2018, 05:01:18 pm by Donnywolf »
I suspect they had Phone Boxes and in them were Chrome wiggly wires hanging towards the floor with nowt on end of it - much like everywhere else !

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 28, 2018, 01:28:23 am by DINGLE »
My old fella used to nip to bed for a hour when we got home from Match, before he went he’d give me a couple of quid to nip to shop to rent a video, buy green un, and get a quarter of sweets. When mi mum put my two younger brothers to bed at half 7 he’d get up have a shower get dressed, get his sandwich out of bread bin, and ate it while reading green un, and nipping to the bottom of the stairs to ask mi mum how long does it take to put on some clean knickers and a frock, offering words of encouragement such as, if thar not darn here in next 5 minutes am going art on mi own, chuffing hell its same every bloody week, she’s all day to try frocks on whilst we’re at game, and she waits until we’re supposed to be in club, we’ll not get a decent seat nar.
Finally she’ll come down stairs about half 8,  to about bleeding time, and a you look nice, it really suites you that dress, reight then lets get off while they’ve some beer left, (same rigmarole every week) club was only a two minute walk away, at 10 o’clock ish, mi dad would be back with seabrook crisps and cockles, to make sure everything was alright and put a shovel full of coal on fire, by which time my youngest brother had heard the video rewinding and come down with his blanket to watch match of the day.

Same most weeks and it was brilliant.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 28, 2018, 09:19:55 am by idler »
Happy and less complicated days Dingle.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 29, 2018, 03:53:34 am by andysly »
Dingle,

What a fantastic description of a time many of us would remember. "let's get off while there's some beer left" - brilliant

TinyPortal © 2005-2012