Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:24:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Banking - paying in cheques  (Read 944 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Banking - paying in cheques
« on September 30, 2018, 06:19:51 am by roverstillidie91 »
I just wanted some thoughts from someone who knows how it works with paying in cheques or perhaps works for a bank on here.

Basically I used to bank with Yorkshire Bank but then decided to switch as admittedly their service was really poor.

I paid a cheque into my account which was given to me by someone who had provided a service for myself and I went to the branch and deposited this to my bank and then waited for this to clear.

When I went to check a few days later the cheque had bounced and I told the individual who had given me this and then said she would transfer it instead if it made it easier.

Didn't think anything else of it... Yorkshire Bank have then physically taken the X amount of money from my bank account which is well into 3 figures and are refusing to give me this back.

They have said that is the correct procedure that if someone tries to pay a cheque in and it bounces that they then take the money from the customer who has paid the cheque in.

Is this correct way of doing this as I'm lost?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
Re: Banking - paying in cheques
« Reply #1 on September 30, 2018, 09:13:08 am by Geoff Blakesley »
If she had made a bank transfer to your account it should go in immediately and therefore cover the withdrawal from your account by Yorkshire bank. Have you checked her bank transfer has gone through ?

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 30, 2018, 09:15:55 am by roverstillidie91 »
thank you yes the bank transfer went through. Yorkshire Bank have basically said that because the cheque bounced they have the right to take the money from me to the tune of the actual cost of the cheque.

Basically what they have done is taken the money from my account and shown it as a debit twice on my account and left me X amount of money down.

I said that I had asked another bank who said it sounds like an error but their reply was that they wouldn't know the circumstances plus said "we have to get the money back somehow".

Seems wrong to me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:18:58 am by roverstillidie91 »

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 30, 2018, 12:35:06 pm by 5minstogo »
Doesn't sound right to me. The cheque should show as a credit then a reversal or debit and then a separate credit for the bank transfer.

The only thing I can think of that would make sense is that the funds from the bouncy cheque were spent before the cheque had cleared.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 30, 2018, 03:37:35 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Doesn't sound right to me. The cheque should show as a credit then a reversal or debit and then a separate credit for the bank transfer.

The only thing I can think of that would make sense is that the funds from the bouncy cheque were spent before the cheque had cleared.
exactly what I was thinking it is unusual for the cheque to bounce but then 5 days later take the money out which is nothing to do with the cheque whatsoever. It wouldn't have been anything to do with funds because I easily had enough money without taking the cheque into consideration.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012