Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:17:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 5147 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
John Marquis
« on September 22, 2018, 10:01:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
99 League appearances.

46 League goals.

At what point do we induct him into the Rovers Pantheon of Greats?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2018, 10:03:14 pm by dknward2 »
If he stays with us after the January transfer window

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2018, 10:11:07 pm by drfchound »
If he stays with us after the January transfer window

Good answer.
There will be clubs sniffing after him for sure.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2018, 10:16:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
1 more goal he's equal 20th Rovers all-time leading goalscorer. 14 more he's in the top 10. His goal scoring ratio is up there will Sharp's but not quite enough to surpass it. Then again, two different players. Opposition fans recognise him now, and I think many admire him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2018, 10:33:47 pm by RedJ »
He is the best striker in the Football League, of course they will admire him.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2018, 12:05:28 am by keith79 »
Brian the blade wants him

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 23, 2018, 01:26:25 am by pib »
He's superb. If he's with us all season he should score a lot of goals - playing in this set up seems to suit him down to the ground.

His form at times last season was being put down to him simply not being as effective at a higher level, but if the start of this season is anything to go by it was actually because he was playing in a system and a style that didn't get the most out of him.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 23, 2018, 02:23:28 am by acacia94 »
Erm. Not since Paul Barnes have we had such a cocky-git brilliant centre forward. Sharpey was great but somehow he was never really 'ours'. John will go at some point and he should be applauded off the KM stage with a 15mins unbroken standing ovation.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 23, 2018, 03:19:33 am by PDX_Rover »
Looking forward to seeing him play in person at Christmas.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2018, 03:21:20 am by DRNaith »
Looking forward to seeing him play in person at Christmas.

Is he doing panto???

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2018, 07:43:10 am by elmsallrover »
Ooooo no he isn't

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2018, 08:22:44 am by Alan Southstand »
2 great finishes and led the line brilliantly, all game. We still have no substitute for him. Worked his nads off yet again yesterday and it's just a shame he couldn't get the hat-trick his performance deserved.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 23, 2018, 08:40:58 am by Chris Black come back »
Admittedly he was a lot younger then - but the contrast with his Millwall career is startling.

He has played 99 league games for us and never once been a substitute, scoring 46 league goals.

At Millwall he played 52 league games for them of which a massive 32 of those games he came on as as a substitute, scoring only 5 league goals.

Confidence player. Get him running and he is all set.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 23, 2018, 09:02:57 am by Branton Rover »
He’s a fantastic wind up merchant he had there number 4 yesterday riled

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2018, 09:05:01 am by since-1969 »
Brian the Blade on Radio deda yesterday  recommends that the Blunts should go after Marquis and pair him up with Sharp, sounds like a plan to me .....if they’ve go couple of £m to spare .

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 23, 2018, 09:06:23 am by The Beast »
Two brilliant finishes, right foot, left foot, shame he couldn't have notched a header for a perfect hat trick.
I think having Wilks along side him takes some of the pressure off John, with his athleticism and his energy. I bet not many defences look forward to playing us with two cocky, arrogant, talented strikers, must be a nightmare to play against, let's hope we can keep them together!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 23, 2018, 09:10:09 am by Chris Black come back »
He may well go whatever happens to us next season but I hope we don’t get shut of him in January. Will totally disrupt our entire set up and without any prospect in that window of replacing him - and his play and his goals will be very hard to replace.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2018, 09:20:39 am by IDM »
There are only two reasons realistically why Marquis would leave in January.  If his form dips so badly we want rid (unlikely) or if a higher division team wants him or turns his attention to a move.  There is always a risk of the latter so it would be in our interest to put a high price tag..  carry on like this and he certainly won’t be up for sale.!

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 23, 2018, 11:27:33 am by Bollinger »
99 League appearances.

46 League goals.

At what point do we induct him into the Rovers Pantheon of Greats?

It is a good hit rate Billy and when you take into account the shift he puts in doing the less glamorous stuff he has proved to be one of the best and most important signings in recent years.

Yet in 2016, you were told by someone on here "He's not a very good finisher. Will score goals due to the amount of chances we create, but won't score loads."

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 23, 2018, 01:51:30 pm by LincsRover »
Brian the Blade on Radio deda yesterday  recommends that the Blunts should go after Marquis and pair him up with Sharp, sounds like a plan to me .....if they’ve go couple of £m to spare .

Or maybe we dig deep and get billy here to team up with JM? Now that would be something to behold!

:santa:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 23, 2018, 02:35:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's also the fitness thing, which is becoming legendary.

He's not missed a single league game through injury since we signed him. He's made 99 starts out of 101 league games that we've played since he joined us. He missed the other 2 through suspension.

Given the physical nature of his game, that is an amazing performance.

I'm starting to think that he might be the best all round striker we've had since Alick.

Chris Brown was the best line-leader ive ever seen for us but was regularly injured and his overall scoring record wasn't first rate.

Sharp was the best striker I've ever seen for us, but he was regularly injured. He missed about 40% of the matches with injury while he was with us.

Heffernan was probably the best instinctive finisher I've seen but his overall game wasn't a patch on Marquis.

And the best of it is, he's still improving.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 23, 2018, 05:15:12 pm by RoversAlias »
If it becomes apparent that teams are willing to make bids deemed good enough for him, I'm sure our scouts I'll identify potential replacements. He'd have to be someone damn good like, I hope he stays with us and helps us into the Championship.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 23, 2018, 05:25:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bookies have us at 4/1 for a top 6 finish. Looking like decent odds on showing so far.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 23, 2018, 05:27:58 pm by Prez »
Bookies have us at 4/1 for a top 6 finish. Looking like decent odds on showing so far.

That price is out of date BST. 6/4 best price now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 23, 2018, 05:47:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So it is. I looked on Oddschecker not an hour ago and it was showing 4/1. 6/4 is more sensible.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 23, 2018, 06:57:10 pm by drfchound »
If we go up then maybe we will be in a position to offer JM a significantly improved contract and hopefully he will stay.
However if he carries on as he is currently doing then inevitably someone will offer him much loot, more than we can match, and he would be crackers not to take it.
A footballers career is only a bad tackle away from being ended and players have to look out for themselves.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 23, 2018, 10:38:37 pm by dknward2 »
If you look at Johns previous career before us at millwall yes mostly on loan but he has never really settled until now, hopefully he can call drfc his home. Sometimes it’s better to stay where you know and are loved

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 24, 2018, 10:55:03 am by DRNaith »
If we go up then maybe we will be in a position to offer JM a significantly improved contract and hopefully he will stay.
However if he carries on as he is currently doing then inevitably someone will offer him much loot, more than we can match, and he would be crackers not to take it.
A footballers career is only a bad tackle away from being ended and players have to look out for themselves.

Yes, though the big story with John is that he was at a bigger club, but not consistently getting game time and that adversely affected him and his performances.

He may rate playing week in week out higher than money.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 24, 2018, 11:44:58 am by mpc123 »
He may well go whatever happens to us next season but I hope we don’t get shut of him in January. Will totally disrupt our entire set up and without any prospect in that window of replacing him - and his play and his goals will be very hard to replace.

I understand why you have said regards Jan but I think any centre forward with any chance of playing in that position can play to the best of their own ability in this current set up.

So what I am saying is if for some reason drfc decide to accept an offer in Jan, it doesn't really have to be a centre forward scoring goals at that point who comes in and carries on the same team ethic and scoring ratios.

We picked up marquis at a time he didn't look very good or was ever going to be a goal scorer and his team was willing to let him go.

We may not have to spend the same fortunes we receive to replace with 1 or 2 who will keep the same results going.

Mccann has shown this season his system and management skills can turn negative seemingly average players, they were never average players,  into a team that can compete and get the best out of individuals.

I will be sorry to see him leave but I won't be worried too much for drfc if he does leave.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 24, 2018, 12:53:40 pm by Pancho Regan »
There's also the fitness thing, which is becoming legendary.

He's not missed a single league game through injury since we signed him. He's made 99 starts out of 101 league games that we've played since he joined us. He missed the other 2 through suspension.

That's a remarkable statistic.

He has turned out to be an inspired signing, credit due to Fergie.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012