Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:14:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Crawford and Anderson  (Read 1121 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Crawford and Anderson
« on October 14, 2018, 07:32:46 pm by selby »
  Two good players who Grant has brought to the club, although I am given to believe Fergie had done the spade work for  Crawford, and Grant then carried on with the deal.
  Both are considered in modern parlance as midfielders, but me being of an older generation I don't think that rightfully  describes them.
  Crawford to my generation would be better described as an old fashioned inside forward, while Anderson would have been described as a half back, who to our younger supporters were the workhouse of the old fashioned teams up to the end of the mid 1980's.
  Their play would have complemented the two positions, fetching and carrying, making the telling pass, and bringing other players in the team into the game, the half back always the harder tackler probably bigger in build, the inside forward the smaller, quick good reader of the game who dictated the attack and was expected to also get back and help in their own half, while the half back was expected to back up the attack and break up the other teams play in midfield.
   It's nice to see two players who have flair in their game, Anderson can be  a bit too hard a tackler for the modern game, and will have to curb or time his agresion better, Crawford needs to improve his off the ball play, but has already played telling balls in games that has taken a number of the opposition out of the game with the pass, and plays passes forward attacking defences when they are on, and has the confidence to do it.
     I am looking forward to them both playing in future games and providing competition for our other Midfielders.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Crawford and Anderson
« Reply #1 on October 14, 2018, 07:40:35 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian I assume you mean 1960’s not 80’s with regards to half backs and wing halves.

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Crawford and Anderson
« Reply #2 on October 14, 2018, 08:50:59 pm by RedJ »
The f**k are they?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012