Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:28:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Old Man Copps  (Read 3793 times)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Old Man Copps
« on October 13, 2018, 05:17:47 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Can't wait to see the goals.

Here's what Bet365 tweeted - and then weirdly deleted.

bet365
‏Verified account @bet365
49m49 minutes ago

When James Coppinger shows his grandkids a compilation of his assists, they're going to think he was better than David Beckham.

#DRFC

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Old Man Copps
« Reply #1 on October 13, 2018, 05:49:22 pm by GazLaz »
Hat trick for Cops today.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 13, 2018, 07:31:31 pm by selby »
Some say he can't affect a game now, well he did today.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 13, 2018, 07:39:35 pm by Alickismyhero »
I watched the game today and I did notice that Copps was walking a lot in this game and I was concerned that the effort just wasn't there. So if he carries on walking and sets 3 goals up in a game that will do for me even if gets to the point of him claiming his state pension. If he's good enough he's old young enough, if you know what I mean Harry.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 13, 2018, 08:06:20 pm by selby »
  Alick it's called saving your energy for when it matters, instead of running around not affecting much.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 13, 2018, 08:17:00 pm by Alickismyhero »
Selby,
and he is a master of it, long may it last. We mugged that team today if only they could have finished the easy chances we would have been well and truly done for.

Even though we won we will have to work on that midfield performance.  I might be in the minority but I wasn't happy with it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 13, 2018, 08:45:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Accurate statement. The cross for Anderson was one of the best assists I think I've seen live in 20 years of going. He was the difference today, sublime display.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 13, 2018, 09:14:05 pm by Pancho Regan »
Accurate statement. The cross for Anderson was one of the best assists I think I've seen live in 20 years of going. He was the difference today, sublime display.

That was an incredible ‘assist’ to use modern parlance. Copps put that ball in so perfectly that Anderson just had to nurse it the last few feet into the net. Even I could have scored that.

No goal for Copps but he and Marko won that game for us today.

Absolute master class from the old fella.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 13, 2018, 09:32:38 pm by drfchound »
Selby,
and he is a master of it, long may it last. We mugged that team today if only they could have finished the easy chances we would have been well and truly done for.

Even though we won we will have to work on that midfield performance.  I might be in the minority but I wasn't happy with it.

Last week we played well and lost.
I have said this before, things tend to even out over a season.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 13, 2018, 09:36:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Selby,

Conditions were bad from what i hear so that may have affected our football and don't forget we we're without our best player in Kane. When he's back our midfield is almost always a step above the oppositions

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 13, 2018, 09:48:02 pm by jonnydog »
Legs have gone

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 13, 2018, 09:48:45 pm by Pancho Regan »
Kane’s replacement Crawford did ok and he took his goal really well. Copps set him up perfectly but it would have been very easy for Ally to blast it over the bar as he raced onto the pull-back.

But he hit it perfectly, first time, into the ground, and into the net.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 13, 2018, 09:51:33 pm by NickDRFC »
Kane’s replacement Crawford did ok and he took his goal really well. Copps set him up perfectly but it would have been very easy for Ally to blast it over the bar as he raced onto the pull-back.

Decent finish but I thought Crawford was pretty anonymous otherwise, both going forward and especially defensively. Think he might work as part of the midfield 3 at home against weaker opposition but in the harder games/away from home I’m not sure that he suits it.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 13, 2018, 10:20:16 pm by Pancho Regan »

Decent finish but I thought Crawford was pretty anonymous otherwise, both going forward and especially defensively. Think he might work as part of the midfield 3 at home against weaker opposition but in the harder games/away from home I’m not sure that he suits it.

Fair comment Nick but I think Crawford has enough to be a valuable player for us this season.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 13, 2018, 10:27:08 pm by StocksArmy »
I watched the game today and I did notice that Copps was walking a lot in this game and I was concerned that the effort just wasn't there. So if he carries on walking and sets 3 goals up in a game that will do for me even if gets to the point of him claiming his state pension. If he's good enough he's old young enough, if you know what I mean Harry.

Runners run, players play.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 13, 2018, 10:46:16 pm by RoversAlias »

I think it'd be a different story if he was playing alongside Kane rather than instead of him. Crawford for me is more attack-minded and is better suited to the role that so far has been occupied by Rowe and Blair. He was good on the opening day at Southend and played his part again today.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 13, 2018, 10:50:48 pm by Paul Simpson »
Copps legend. It’ll be a sad day when he hangs up his boots!! Herbie could replace him ? Can’t see any other player we have taking his place imo 😀

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 13, 2018, 11:45:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Even I could have scored that.

Aye. Mebbe.

Iain Henderson might have struggled though, like.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 14, 2018, 07:59:45 am by steve@dcfd »
Selby,

Without Kane our midfield is not good enough, strong enough.  Today’s game just like Southend and Kane didn’t play that game. As on Tuesday night Crawford good with the ball but does not contribute when we don’t have the ball. So GM has got to sort the midfield three at the moment Whiteman and Kane are a shoe in who will be third. Blair runner energy covering tackler and can score odd goal. Crawford if he wants technical player good with the ball and looks he can contribute with odd goals. Anderson strong can be the better defender of the three good pace going forward. So with game on Saturday and Tuesday next week GM will have to get it right. Also the use of Copps should he play both games or save him for the Sunderland game. Play Crawford in his position on Saturday and play Blair or Anderson.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 14, 2018, 08:04:26 am by drfchound »
Mmmmm, it seems that Kane might not be so good then.
Two games he hasn’t played and we won them both !!. :coat:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 14, 2018, 08:36:54 am by sedwardsdrfc »
I think we've got great options in midfield, don't get this not good enough business at all. All the players in that position offer something different and there's Rowe to come back as well. For me i know it's hard to drop Blair but given Ali scored i'd keep him in and have Kane for Blair. We got Crawford in for his quality and with Kane in the team he'll obviously see more of the ball so we have to give it a go. Anderson also looks a decent player and i feel a bit bad for him because i can't see him getting a run in the team which proves the quality we have

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 14, 2018, 08:38:17 am by RedJ »
Whiteman wasn't great either in the middle, a few times he just let his man run past him with no apparent interest in challenging.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 14, 2018, 05:26:06 pm by philsky »
Legs have gone

In his interview after the match he admitted as much.

Mind you, its not the running about we need, its the pin point quality, poise, calmness and killer balls into dangerous areas we need - that's what Copps delivers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 14, 2018, 08:20:09 pm by GazLaz »
Copps will always have ability, he’s just nowhere near as consistent has he was.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 14, 2018, 10:33:42 pm by selby »
   The problem with Copps in our set up is where he is asked to fit in.
    When he is wide, we end up with players like Blair on the ball more, who have more energy but far less skill and passing ability.
  Like Saturday when Coppinger and Kane, and when fit Rowe see plenty of the ball is when we look a better team.
   Coppinger has started games wide on either flank, and we have not got him on the ball, when he has come inside and has players to interact with such as Kane, both he and the team have played better. Plymouth,Peterborough, and Rochdale all being examples of it and for twenty minutes before half time even against Fleetwood.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 15, 2018, 08:47:31 pm by drfchound »
Copps named in the Skybet EFL team of the week.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 16, 2018, 09:42:18 am by wing commander »
    it's game management with Coppinger..The footballing brain and pure class that he has means that on his day he is still unplayable..However like Gaz says the problem now is that at 37 those games don't come round as often as they used too,but theres not many players still playing at this level at 37 that's for sure..
    GM needs to carry on picking and choosing those games,using the scouting reports of the players he's up against to decide which games he plays and which games he sits on the bench...I actually think he plays better when we are away rather than at home.Away he has more space to play in, and his footballing brain gives him a big edge..At home when the opposition are more compact and defensive minded it's a lot harder for him now..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012