Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:54:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 4672 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« on October 14, 2018, 07:06:47 pm by selby »
   Hopefully a better spectacle than last seasons first game at home, which was arguably the poorest game of the season, and a game where a team not bothering to try and win a game left with a point,after one of the dullest 0-0 games I have ever sat through.
  We have only scored 7 goals at home in six games, while scoring 14 in 7 away games which points to the fact the way we set our team up finds it harder to open up defences that sit back and teams that have less ambition, that is the way Gillingham have approached games against us at home for more years than I care to remember, never having a team that I have watched and remember with fondness because of their expansive play. Add the fact they have only conceded 6 goals in 6 away games, and have picked up more points away from home than at home, and another war of attrition looks on the cards.
   Kane our best player will be back, while Wright will be suspended, giving Anderson a chance to show his worth and bisarly could possibly improve our chances of scoring from a set piece as he has done before for us.
   May would expect another start, which would be harsh on Wilks who was our only attacker of note against Fleetwood, and showed up well at Rochdale after coming on, or and it is a big or,  we could play Crawford behind a lone Marquis like some of the foreign teams do with clever attacking mid fielders. I don't expect it but it could be another  string to our bow in future.
   What team would you pick?
   Do you like me expect Gillingham to be more interested in stopping us playing than going all out for a win?
    Can we start to score more goals at the
Keepmoat?
    What sort of attendance in the away end do you expect?
  Lot's to discuss please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #1 on October 14, 2018, 08:51:45 pm by RedJ »
Same one
aye
hopefully
not a big one

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 14, 2018, 09:23:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Same one
aye
hopefully
not a big one
Is this supposed to be some sort of word game. Steady on with hopefully it’s more than 4 letters and doesn’t start with F and end in K.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 14, 2018, 09:23:59 pm by RedJ »
Same one
aye
hopefully
not a big one
Is this supposed to be some sort of word game. Steady on with hopefully it’s more than 4 letters and doesn’t start with F and end in K.

f**k yeah.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 14, 2018, 09:46:41 pm by since-1969 »
You would not normally change a winning side but with what looks like a bigger game on following Tuesday against Sunderland I think McCann will not want to be too ambitious and play all his cards for Gillingham . Wright’s suspension isn’t a big problem as he’ll return for Tuesday . Kane will probably start but he could bring in J Anderson for Copps and rest him . This would be a good game for Taylor as well instead of May . Gillingham have stuttered of  late and I suppose our last home game for some fans who don’t travel , this will need to be a convincing home win .
 Sunderland will need special preparation and leaving key players out or putting them on the bench will keep them fresh to point  . Our biggest concern should be Butler in 4 bookings the Gills will target him to see if he’s committed to this game ( daft I know he’s up for any game) . But Sunderland will the main game at home as they could easily fill the Keepmoat if asked. But the Gills to get a thumping 3-0 to help sell out the Tuesday night !!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 14, 2018, 09:52:39 pm by RoversAlias »
I didn't think it was that dull a game, we had a boatload of chances and their goalkeeper Tomas Holy won them a point with a terrific display.

It'll be a different prospect this season though from both teams I'm sure.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 14, 2018, 10:00:30 pm by Campsall rover »
Another bogey team. Our record against them is very poor.
Got rid of the Walsall one so we can do the same to the Gills.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 14, 2018, 10:44:43 pm by selby »
 Sunderland is no bigger game than Gillingham to me 1969.
  My approach would be to pick my strongest possible side, hopefully get the three points and go into the game against Sunderland  full of confidence, and let them worry about us.
   They are in the same division as us because they are too poor a side to be in the Championship. they are a team playing at our level who happen to have had more success in the past that's all.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 15, 2018, 01:05:34 am by scawsby steve »
You would not normally change a winning side but with what looks like a bigger game on following Tuesday against Sunderland I think McCann will not want to be too ambitious and play all his cards for Gillingham . Wright’s suspension isn’t a big problem as he’ll return for Tuesday . Kane will probably start but he could bring in J Anderson for Copps and rest him . This would be a good game for Taylor as well instead of May . Gillingham have stuttered of  late and I suppose our last home game for some fans who don’t travel , this will need to be a convincing home win .
 Sunderland will need special preparation and leaving key players out or putting them on the bench will keep them fresh to point  . Our biggest concern should be Butler in 4 bookings the Gills will target him to see if he’s committed to this game ( daft I know he’s up for any game) . But Sunderland will the main game at home as they could easily fill the Keepmoat if asked. But the Gills to get a thumping 3-0 to help sell out the Tuesday night !!

What a ridiculous assumption to make at this point, that Wright will definitely return on Tuesday; what if Tom Anderson has a blinder?; all players have good games and bad games. Have you forgotten Joe's horrendous nightmare against Fleetwood?. Of course, he's had brilliant games as well, it's a case of GM assessing which one will be best to deal with the way Sunderland attack.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 15, 2018, 03:58:31 am by Alan Southstand »
They are in the same division as us because they are too poor a side to be in the Championship

That was last season, Selby, who knows what they're like this season? It's my bet that they will probably be going straight back up, along with Barnsley, come the end of the season! So far, only Portsmouth seem to be having the consistency required to stay up there and challenge for the top 2. Furthermore, both Sunderland and Portsmouth have the resources to plug any weak links, come January.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 15, 2018, 06:58:00 am by since-1969 »

What a ridiculous assumption to make at this point, that Wright will definitely return on Tuesday; what if Tom Anderson has a blinder?; all players have good games and bad games. Have you forgotten Joe's horrendous nightmare against Fleetwood?. Of course, he's had brilliant games as well, it's a case of GM assessing which one will be best to deal with the way Sunderland attack.
Wright WILL RETURN on Tuesday you know it and as does everyone else . Anderson is reliable to do a job . Joe  Wright has his off days but his selection of fit is NEVER in doubt .

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 15, 2018, 12:21:33 pm by adamtherover »
wilks back in for May,    Kane back in, crawford or maybe anderson to take blairs place, who was a bit off the pace on satdi, and anderson to come in for wright... 

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 15, 2018, 03:39:43 pm by scawsby steve »

Wright WILL RETURN on Tuesday you know it and as does everyone else . Anderson is reliable to do a job . Joe  Wright has his off days but his selection of fit is NEVER in doubt .

Did you go to Rotherham last season?; if the answer is yes, then that just confirms what an utterly stupid post you've just made.

As I've said in other posts, NO player in ANY team is beyond having to fight for his place.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:46:13 pm by scawsby steve »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2018, 09:19:12 pm by selby »
  Reading their forum, their fans have  mixed expectations about getting a good result against us, being split down the middle whether expecting a win, or losing the game.
  Parker seems to be the player who they most have faith with Eaves to causing us most trouble, and seem as though they have more faith in them going forward, with their defence being slow and cumbersome, although the keeper get's good reviews.
  With their height I would expect them to be a threat from set pieces, something we had trouble with against Fleetwood.
  It would be nice to get back to winning ways at home, and would set us up for the game to follow against Sunderland.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2018, 08:25:48 am by selby »
   Gillingham are definitely not a team that in the past, or even now has excited me that much. Often dull games, they never seem to play expansive football, and usually mug us.
   This weekend however I can't help thinking could turn out to be a pivotal period that could shape the rest of the season.
   The two league games, both difficult,  but get the points and we will suddenly look like serious playoff or better contenders, and on Monday the draw for the FA cup first round,which god forbid with us, have a good cup run and financially could make a big difference to the club and make us attractive to the loan players, if they are allowed to play in the competition that is.
  The one thing about this season is it has never been dull, both on and off the field. My tip for the cup draw is one of Portsmouth, Exeter, or Plymouth away.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 19, 2018, 09:58:06 am by selby »
  Anyone thinking this fixture will be easy want to remember they are the only team up to press to beat Portsmouth away.
  Having said that it was in the first few weeks of the season, and their manager is coming in for some stick from their supporters, Is he under the threat of the Rovers curse if we win. and will be sacked for losing  to  us,and the supporters chant we should be beating the likes of Doncaster.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 19, 2018, 10:20:26 am by RoversAlias »
First few weeks of the season? It was less than a fortnight ago Selby.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 19, 2018, 10:25:32 am by selby »
  The Gillingham supporters think it was ages ago, like our last home win.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 19, 2018, 10:53:33 am by RoversAlias »
Well it wasn't, it was their last away game and they've only played once since, albeit a defeat to Southend. I think this will be a tricky game but one that is navigable. We are overdue a draw to be fair but I hope we can find a way to win because we are well capable.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 19, 2018, 12:28:04 pm by adamtherover »
after winning 6 from 8, and finding some form/luck over the last week or so, we should go into the game full of confidence..  JM is due a goal as well.....

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 19, 2018, 12:58:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yes we certainly should but we will only win by doing a lot of things correctly and not making any mistakes or errors.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 19, 2018, 01:00:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Yes we certainly should but we will only win by doing a lot of things correctly and not making any mistakes or errors.

We made plenty of errors at Rochdale and won!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 19, 2018, 05:18:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Same old mantra, take the chances and we win.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 20, 2018, 09:57:34 am by selby »
  DBR, I agree with that statement, play well and we are a footballing match for any team in this division, taking the chances we create, and we are probably a mid table side, although last week at Rochdale we did just that, took our chances and came away with three points.
   Let's hope we maintain that form in front of goal and be ruthless again this afternoon.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 20, 2018, 11:40:23 am by roversdude »
I don’t know how Eaves stopped on the pitch last season at KM he was warned and warned by ref
Recall (as posted by RA) that their keeper played out of his skin
Didn’t Marquis play for them at KM previously

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 20, 2018, 12:10:34 pm by selby »
  RD, their goalkeepers have played well against us in other games than last season.
  Nelson who once played for us when he was younger has been outstanding against us in games at the KM and at Gillingham inthe past.
  It is about time they fetched one that gives us a couple of bloopers.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 20, 2018, 12:59:29 pm by roversdude »
Agree my friend I always remember years ago (showing my age now) Death at Reading saved all his good games for us

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 20, 2018, 06:24:22 pm by selby »
Well that was anything but dull, if you took your eyes off it you missed something, especially when  Coppinger was near the ball, today the lad treated us to a skills show, one that we can only admire, he just gets better with the ball at his feet.
  If there is a disappointment it is the fact we did not come away with the three points which we should have got really.
  But credit to Gillingham they took their chances, few as they were, and in the goalkeeper although being beaten three times he kept them in the game with some good saves, the one on one with Marquis, and holding a pile driver from Crawford, from the top draw.
  THe game showed we can battle, and have the balls to fight back, and play entertaining football, not the best result, but a great game to watch.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 20, 2018, 07:21:59 pm by drfchound »
Selby, the pile driver was by Copps.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 20, 2018, 08:37:56 pm by selby »
  Hound,too many look alikes, i like the way young Kane has gone for the old man Copps look.
   If it was Copps I make the excuse he usually tops them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012