Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:27:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Behind Closed Doors  (Read 2851 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Behind Closed Doors
« on October 16, 2018, 06:35:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Apparently, we had a behind closed doors friendly today (at Cantley) against York City. York were 2-0 up at ht, but a Rovers 11 ran out 3-2 winners.

The weird thing is, Liam Holden put the final score on Twitter and a tweet came back asking for our scorers but Liam responded with "that's all I can tell you".

Before anyone says it's probably because he wasn't there, he did know that Jon Parkin had scored for York and had hit the crossbar from the halfway line.

Maybe nowt in it, but I find this a bit strange. Anyone else heard anything?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Behind Closed Doors
« Reply #1 on October 16, 2018, 10:14:55 pm by selby »
 Alan, there may have been trialists that we don't want their names bandied about.
  Hopefully we fielded a very young side, if so it would be good experience, and a good comeback. if the team included our fringe players it is concerning, playing relatively week teams ( Parkin is not now a regular starter in York's first team) and struggling.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 16, 2018, 10:26:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
Just the question I have asked of Liam but have had no reply, as yet.

I think the team had Beestin, Lund, Longbottom, Ben Khemis in it, but none of the squad players that are normally on the bench. I wondered if this match had been arranged in the hope that Tommy Rowe might play in it, but it now appears he is back on light training, as part of his rehab.
I sincerely hope he's not had a set back.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:28:49 pm by Alan Southstand »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 16, 2018, 10:51:02 pm by selby »
 That's somewhat of a relief if true, some big decisions to be made at the end of the year, All the loan players are a worry as they are becoming very important to our wellbeing.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2018, 03:12:57 am by Alan Southstand »
Do you mean end of the year or the end of the season? To my knowledge, not one of the (is it 14?) players out of contract have been offered new ones. We have added Horton to the list of 'signed on' pro's that we have and that has been it.
Anyway, slightly off the thread topic, or is it, as depending on who was in the team, other than those mentioned, may mean that it isn't off topic at all?
There are quite a few question marks hanging over a few player's heads at the moment. Depending on who will not be offered a deal, we have to now start giving serious thoughts to who we do need to bring in and, in an ideal world, I would sign all 3 loan players! Whether that is remotely feasible, I do not know, but if it isn't, we have to fill those holes, possibly even in January but most definately in the summer. That '14' then becomes 17! Helps to focus the mind, I suppose.
Back to the friendly yesterday, could it be that York are looking to take someone on loan, also? Maybe Beestin?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2018, 07:24:39 am by drfchound »
How would any of us have knowledge about whether our players have been offered new or updated contracts.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2018, 07:56:37 am by Alan Southstand »
They normally announce it via the Press!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2018, 08:02:55 am by selby »
  Alan, January is the crunch as the players concerned can then talk to other clubs anyway, plus all our loan players need to be resigned to the end of this season I think.
   Let's hope no news is good news, and there is not any problems. But all the loan players could be poached by other wealthier clubs, and I can't see Fatty at Peterborough being very generous.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2018, 09:04:28 am by IDM »
Wasn’t the question of contracts discussed a few weeks ago when it was said the out of contract in 2019 players’ contracts would be reviewed soon.?

I also think too much can be implied about practice fixtures - not having a go at the posters on this thread, but I just think it is unnecessary..

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2018, 09:04:54 am by RedJ »
Do you mean end of the year or the end of the season? To my knowledge, not one of the (is it 14?) players out of contract have been offered new ones. We have added Horton to the list of 'signed on' pro's that we have and that has been it.
Anyway, slightly off the thread topic, or is it, as depending on who was in the team, other than those mentioned, may mean that it isn't off topic at all?
There are quite a few question marks hanging over a few player's heads at the moment. Depending on who will not be offered a deal, we have to now start giving serious thoughts to who we do need to bring in and, in an ideal world, I would sign all 3 loan players! Whether that is remotely feasible, I do not know, but if it isn't, we have to fill those holes, possibly even in January but most definately in the summer. That '14' then becomes 17! Helps to focus the mind, I suppose.
Back to the friendly yesterday, could it be that York are looking to take someone on loan, also? Maybe Beestin?

Why would we loan someone who was doing alright in League Two last year to a National League North side?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2018, 09:10:09 am by NickDRFC »
  Alan, January is the crunch as the players concerned can then talk to other clubs anyway, plus all our loan players need to be resigned to the end of this season I think.
   Let's hope no news is good news, and there is not any problems. But all the loan players could be poached by other wealthier clubs, and I can't see Fatty at Peterborough being very generous.

Unless the rules have changed, officially players can't talk to other domestic clubs until their contracts have expired. Of course, unofficially their agents could have been touting them around for a few months.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2018, 09:40:58 am by Alan Southstand »
Why would we loan someone who was doing alright in League Two last year to a National League North side?

Because:

a) He/they are not getting enough competitive games

and

b) we're outside the window now, for loaning players out to league clubs.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2018, 10:15:39 am by RoversAlias »
It's amazing really, so many people moaned and moaned and moaned that we had no squad depth, yet as soon as we get a settled side I see suggestions all over the place to loan out all our players not getting in the side. We need Beestin, his development is way past f**king about in the National North and he is a potentially valuable piece of the puzzle in the squad.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2018, 12:45:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
The valuable  piece in the puzzle won’t be on the bench on Saturday imo. He played against Grimsby in the checkatrade game and after 20 mins was never in that game. He will be lucky to get a contract extension at the end of the season. He does not fit into GMs system. He is behind players in the pecking order. Let’s hope he scored and looked good against York City second team yesterday?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 17, 2018, 01:15:42 pm by NickDRFC »
The valuable  piece in the puzzle won’t be on the bench on Saturday imo. He played against Grimsby in the checkatrade game and after 20 mins was never in that game. He will be lucky to get a contract extension at the end of the season. He does not fit into GMs system. He is behind players in the pecking order. Let’s hope he scored and looked good against York City second team yesterday?

Beestin’s opportunities have been limited by the form of our midfielders and forwards. We are barely a quarter of the way through the season and yet you’re writing him off because of one indifferent game (after a bright start, no less)?

I also don’t really understand your jibe about the game being against York City second team. Are you saying you hope he played well to show he’s worth a place in the first team squad, but because it’s a friendly against poor opposition it wouldn’t actually show anything?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 17, 2018, 02:25:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »
How does any young player have a chance when if they have one bad game they get crucified and fans will want them released at the end of their contract.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 17, 2018, 02:56:35 pm by Retdon1 »
We can still loan players to teams in the national league like we just have done with kiwomya at chesterfield... I think Ben kemis is one player that would benefit from a loan spell to a team in that league. He needs a run of games and won’t get that with us currently

TinyPortal © 2005-2012