Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:45:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 371810 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #4260 on September 16, 2019, 09:48:35 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Just heard a very insightful interview with a guy called Robert Hardy who used to run the customs terminal at the Port of Dover. He was responding to a caller on a radio show who contacted the show and warned of import chaos if we leave without a deal. This was Robert Hardys response:

“I think you're going to have to go out of your way to be delayed. A consignment from Europe has a document which is then lodged at the port.  It will then arrive in Dover in transit, exactly like it is today. Your first import declaration in a no-deal Brexit environment is due at the end of six months. You've got six months to do the import entry.”

“In a no-deal plan, the only thing that's going to have any difference from today is the EU exporter needs to raise an export declaration. That's the end of Brexit no-deal planning."

When asked why we hear so many stories of food shortages and traffic jams in Kent if everything is so simple he responded: "If there are any problems with motorways in Kent, it will be getting out again.

"But the government have literally today released a project which I've been working on for quite a few months, which is 150 pop-up stations and truck parks across the UK and Europe, where drivers can call in and have their paperwork checked so that they can approach the border knowing everything is in place.

"These will be all over the UK, so the message is don't come into Kent unless you are border-ready."

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4261 on September 16, 2019, 10:20:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Just heard a very insightful interview with a guy called Robert Hardy who used to run the customs terminal at the Port of Dover. He was responding to a caller on a radio show who contacted the show and warned of import chaos if we leave without a deal. This was Robert Hardys response:

“I think you're going to have to go out of your way to be delayed. A consignment from Europe has a document which is then lodged at the port.  It will then arrive in Dover in transit, exactly like it is today. Your first import declaration in a no-deal Brexit environment is due at the end of six months. You've got six months to do the import entry.”

“In a no-deal plan, the only thing that's going to have any difference from today is the EU exporter needs to raise an export declaration. That's the end of Brexit no-deal planning."

When asked why we hear so many stories of food shortages and traffic jams in Kent if everything is so simple he responded: "If there are any problems with motorways in Kent, it will be getting out again.

"But the government have literally today released a project which I've been working on for quite a few months, which is 150 pop-up stations and truck parks across the UK and Europe, where drivers can call in and have their paperwork checked so that they can approach the border knowing everything is in place.

"These will be all over the UK, so the message is don't come into Kent unless you are border-ready."

That sounds like AEO operators, not general freightage. AEOs have different rules and very different types of verifications.

There's no way you'll get Customs Clearance on a random consignment without a Customs Declaration to check it against at the time of import, and certainly not six months later! Also, most general freight containers have dozens of separate consignments all consolidated together in one container, each of which will require two separate declarations - an Export Declaration to be lodged with the country it is leaving and an Import Declaration to be lodged in the country it's entering.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4262 on September 16, 2019, 11:12:13 pm by Not Now Kato »
Maybe I’m being really simple here..

BJ is telling the EU he is prepared to leave on 31 Oct with no deal, and won’t accept an extension.  But the UK now has a law that he must ask for an extension of Brexit is not resolved with an agreement by 17/18 October..

Does that mean he is blatantly saying he IS prepared to break the law.?  Does he think the EU politicians and our own Parliament are stupid.?

When will this stupid idiot accept that no deal is not an option..?

Nope, but he knows that a large number of the British public are; and that's all that matters.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4263 on September 17, 2019, 05:51:49 am by Herbert Anchovy »

BJ is telling the EU he is prepared to leave on 31 Oct with no deal, and won’t accept an extension.  But the UK now has a law that he must ask for an extension of Brexit is not resolved with an agreement by 17/18 October..

Does that mean he is blatantly saying he IS prepared to break the law.?  Does he think the EU politicians and our own Parliament are stupid.?

Nope, but he knows that a large number of the British public are; and that's all that matters.
[/quote

In the future, when historians are poring over the whole Brexit debacle and trying to fathom out why the country became so angry and polarised THIS one comment will sum it up perfectly. Well done NNK.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4264 on September 17, 2019, 07:30:25 am by Herbert Anchovy »

That sounds like AEO operators, not general freightage. AEOs have different rules and very different types of verifications.

There's no way you'll get Customs Clearance on a random consignment without a Customs Declaration to check it against at the time of import, and certainly not six months later! Also, most general freight containers have dozens of separate consignments all consolidated together in one container, each of which will require two separate declarations - an Export Declaration to be lodged with the country it is leaving and an Import Declaration to be lodged in the country it's entering.

Not sure Glyn. You clearly know more about this than me. However, as the former Customs Master at Dover I’d take his expertise as read. Saying that though, he has also been working with the Government on no deal preparation so I guess he could have a slightly biased opinion.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4265 on September 17, 2019, 07:48:34 am by Bentley Bullet »
is this the interview?
https://youtu.be/YggHsc0LvyI

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4266 on September 17, 2019, 09:37:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »
is this the interview?

If it is, either he's very out of touch with his former job or he's a random Brexit bullshitter (funny how he doesn't give his name!) who's heard of Entry Summary Declarations and is trying to pretend that they are Customs Declarations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-outlines-phased-approach-for-entry-summary-declarations

Importers will still be required to submit import declarations for customs purposes – which are not the same as Entry Summary Declarations.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4267 on September 17, 2019, 09:54:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Or maybe he's right?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4268 on September 17, 2019, 09:56:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »
No he isn't.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4269 on September 17, 2019, 11:28:38 am by Herbert Anchovy »
is this the interview?

Yes, that’s the one BB. A bit of research suggests that he was also a Director for P&O and has done a few interviews regarding ‘Port Readiness’  over the past few months.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4270 on September 17, 2019, 11:30:50 am by Herbert Anchovy »
is this the interview?

If it is, either he's very out of touch with his former job or he's a random Brexit bullshitter (funny how he doesn't give his name!) who's heard of Entry Summary Declarations and is trying to pretend that they are Customs Declarations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-outlines-phased-approach-for-entry-summary-declarations

Importers will still be required to submit import declarations for customs purposes – which are not the same as Entry Summary Declarations.

Glyn

Do you have any experience of customs port management? Your replies suggest that you do have some knowledge in this area?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #4271 on September 17, 2019, 11:31:17 am by Ldr »
Glyn, what's AEO?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4272 on September 17, 2019, 11:58:40 am by foxbat »
More radio ads today telling me to "get ready for Brexit". But how? We don't know if we're leaving with a deal or without one, or not leaving at all. Legally, with no withdrawal bill passed we are obliged to request an extension. So why are wasting £100m on useless propaganda?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4273 on September 17, 2019, 12:28:39 pm by IDM »
Those ads are on the telly too..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4274 on September 17, 2019, 02:17:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
is this the interview?

Glyn

Do you have any experience of customs port management? Your replies suggest that you do have some knowledge in this area?

I was with Customs & Excise and then HMRC for twenty years, all in the Inland Customs and ending as an International Trade Officer. It was part of my job to now about import and export rules, regulations and procedures - in both UK Law and EU Law - inside out.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4276 on September 17, 2019, 02:20:46 pm by scawsby steve »

Stupid? Well done NNK, true to form.

You lot just don't get it do you?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4277 on September 17, 2019, 02:24:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I would't say they're stupid. I'd say that they're ignorant of the complexities of the EU, and without any inclination to divest themselves of that ignorance. Which then leaves them wide open to be manipulated.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4278 on September 17, 2019, 02:28:48 pm by foxbat »
Just seen this. "Farmers will feed us all after Brexit".

Just wondered if people who believe this realise that 95% of farm workers in the UK are foreign, most are seasonal workers who come here because of FOM. Just saying....

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4279 on September 17, 2019, 03:05:10 pm by Not Now Kato »

Firstly, there's only one of me - not a 'lot'.

Secondly, when something is shown to be either a lie or just plain wrong, then if people a) continue to believe it and/or b) continue to repeat it, or c) base all their arguments on it then what are they other than stupid?

Do you, honestly, still believe the lies that not only were being told then, but are continuing to be told now? An awful lot of people still do.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4280 on September 17, 2019, 03:23:29 pm by scawsby steve »

Secondly, when something is shown to be either a lie or just plain wrong, then if people a) continue to believe it and/or b) continue to repeat it, or c) base all their arguments on it then what are they other than stupid?

Do you, honestly, still believe the lies that not only were being told then, but are continuing to be told now? An awful lot of people still do.

You're one of a lot on here that constantly sneer and insult.

As regards lies, do you still believe the lie that Corbyn is pro-EU?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4281 on September 17, 2019, 03:35:12 pm by Not Now Kato »

Corbyn has never been pro-EU, so it's not a lie I've ever believed.

Now it's your turn, do YOU, honestly, still believe the lies that not only were being told then, but are continuing to be told now?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4282 on September 17, 2019, 03:39:03 pm by foxbat »
never mind Corbyn , answer the question.

Or:
 tell me just ONE tangible , and confirmable way in which you, me and my family
will be better off by the UK leaving the EU ?

Or:
tell me just ONE tangible, and confirmable way in being in the EU makes things difficult for you.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4283 on September 17, 2019, 03:39:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

So are you, looking at the posts you've made only today.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4284 on September 17, 2019, 03:47:17 pm by scawsby steve »

Show me where I've insulted anyone.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4285 on September 17, 2019, 03:48:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Two sneers for the price of one right there.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4286 on September 17, 2019, 04:06:50 pm by scawsby steve »

What? I'm not allowed to defend myself against someone who says Brexiters are stupid?

You're so blinkered and partisan that you've lost the ability to think clearly and objectively. Is that an insult? If so, have that one on me.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4287 on September 17, 2019, 04:10:49 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
is this the interview?

Glyn

I was with Customs & Excise and then HMRC for twenty years, all in the Inland Customs and ending as an International Trade Officer. It was part of my job to now about import and export rules, regulations and procedures - in both UK Law and EU Law - inside out.

I see - Cheers

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4288 on September 17, 2019, 04:11:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS

NNK didn't say you were stupid.
He was asking whether Johnson thinks you are stupid.

Given what has happened over the past 3 years, I think that's a fair question. I've siad myself several times that the only conclusion I can come to is that prominent Brexiters either think than Brexit supporters are too stupid to see the inconsistencies in their approaches or they think that Brexit supporters simply don't care.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4289 on September 17, 2019, 04:13:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What? I'm not allowed to defend myself against someone who says Brexiters are stupid?

You're so blinkered and partisan that you've lost the ability to think clearly and objectively. Is that an insult? If so, have that one on me.

And it's a hat-trick!

I'm not saying don't defend your viewpoint but don't you think it makes you look a total prat when you continually moan about people sneering on this forum when it's all you ever do yourself to 'defend' yourself?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012