Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:49:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 371205 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #3090 on April 10, 2019, 08:18:34 pm by wilts rover »
It'll be interesting to wake up tomorrow morning and find out what has happened at the summit tonight. Surely if the EU27 will only grant a long-ish extension then May must resign?

Although everyone assumes that the Tory Party will elect a Hard Brexiteer, they might elect someone who took a more pragmatic view, for instance over a second referendum. He or she will have their own Red Lines, but they might not be the same as May's. Also a new PM might want to have a General Election, which could also break the logjam in Parliament.

There is absolutely no way that the next Tory leader won't be a Brexiteer - as if they aren't there wont be a party left for them to lead.

In the last poll I saw 75% of the Tory party membership wanted to leave with no deal. They have already started de-selecting MP's who they feel are 'betraying' them by wanting a 'softer' deal, David Gauke, an actual minister, was on the radio today saying that moves are underway in his constituency to remove him. If they even try to elect a new leader without going to the membership, as they did with May, or put forward two candidates neither of whom is a Brexiteer there won't be a party left to elect them, those members will be furious.
https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/04/our-survey-how-party-members-would-cast-indicative-votes-they-are-overwhelmingly-for-no-deal.html

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3091 on April 10, 2019, 08:32:55 pm by The Red Baron »
Between Thatcher and Cameron the Tories had a bad habit of getting their leaders in the wrong order. It was pointless choosing Hague, who had the potential to be a half-decent PM in 1997 when it was obvious they couldn't win the next Election.

They've done it again. After Cameron they needed a Brexiteer to deliver Brexit. Post-Brexit, they needed someone to bring the country together. They probably will choose a Brexiteer, and consign themselves to opposition for at least a decade.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3092 on April 10, 2019, 09:13:47 pm by bpoolrover »
Pandora's Box now open - official.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1115524497724063744?p=v

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-47824367
''Broken Britain - new:

-63% say "system rigged to help the rich & powerful"
-56% "Britain is in decline"
-54% "Britain needs strong leader willing to break rules"
-50% "Politicians don't care about people like me"
-47% "feel I've no influence over decisions" (new high)''

I'm surprised only 63% think the system is against them when you look at zero hours contracts, food banks and Austerity but I suppose it's not uncommon for some people forced by Austerity to take zero hours contract work and then having to go to food banks to be able to eat.

6,072,095 signatures

Number of people receiving three days' worth of emergency food from Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2017/18, by region*

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382725/foodbanks-emergency-food-needed-in-united-kingdom-uk-by-region/

what would you do about zero hour contracts thou, as of 2018 there was around 950k on zhc if that number around 70/75 percent wanted to be on them.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3093 on April 10, 2019, 10:20:29 pm by Iberian Red »
Yeah, like you lot keep beefing about it was only 52% of the poll who voted for leave but are happy enough with a single vote win in parliament.
How long does the Brexit referendum result stay relevant?
Considering what we know now about what can actually be agreed, the consequences of no deal, how many brexiteers have died since 2016 and how many more remain votes have come of age, the fact all polls show remain would now win and the fact MP's are changing their minds almost daily about Brexit?
Just a guess here bj but as the majority of brexiteers seem to be old white gammon most of em may be in cardiac arrest over dealing with JC and No-deal kicked into touch.

If you can't come on this forum without making abusive comments like that, then I suggest you just leave the forum, take your bigoted, biased opinions with you, and don't f*cking come back.

There's a touch of hypocrisy in that post.

Oh, I'd forgotten all about you, Iberian Red

Dont worry fella, that will be an age thing.

Don't worry about me old lad, you just get on with what you're best at, kissing BST's arse.

Never met him,pmed him,supported him. I'm  as f**ked off with all this daft b*llocks as you. I'm going to join the BB,BS,AL,SS alliance.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3094 on April 10, 2019, 10:23:13 pm by Iberian Red »
Yeah, like you lot keep beefing about it was only 52% of the poll who voted for leave but are happy enough with a single vote win in parliament.
How long does the Brexit referendum result stay relevant?
Considering what we know now about what can actually be agreed, the consequences of no deal, how many brexiteers have died since 2016 and how many more remain votes have come of age, the fact all polls show remain would now win and the fact MP's are changing their minds almost daily about Brexit?
Just a guess here bj but as the majority of brexiteers seem to be old white gammon most of em may be in cardiac arrest over dealing with JC and No-deal kicked into touch.

If you can't come on this forum without making abusive comments like that, then I suggest you just leave the forum, take your bigoted, biased opinions with you, and don't f*cking come back.

There's a touch of hypocrisy in that post.

Oh, I'd forgotten all about you, Iberian Red

Dont worry fella, that will be an age thing.

Don't worry about me old lad, you just get on with what you're best at, kissing BST's arse.

Guess the author:

So you don't think I should respond to someone trying to take the p*ss out of my age, something that a few of you on here are quite smart at doing?

If someone attacks me, I attack back.

Spoken like a true hypocrite.

"Thick", "stupid", "can't write their own name", "pensioners with zimmer frames", "old white gammon", "soon be having cardiac arrests", "will be dead by now", "coffin dodgers".

Just a few of the many insults hurled at Brexit voters on this forum and many other forums over the last 2 years; and you call me abusive and hypocritical?

White gammon?

Where did you pull that one from?

Proper snowflake!

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3095 on April 10, 2019, 10:26:57 pm by Iberian Red »
Scawsby, I think it's what they call grown-up politics.

I'm late to the party BB. I thought it was all about witty plays on names. Wigerley,Siderner, Bullshitter. Etc

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3096 on April 10, 2019, 11:21:56 pm by SydneyRover »

''Broken Britain - new:

I'm surprised only 63% think the system is against them when you look at zero hours contracts, food banks and Austerity but I suppose it's not uncommon for some people forced by Austerity to take zero hours contract work and then having to go to food banks to be able to eat.

6,072,095 signatures

Number of people receiving three days' worth of emergency food from Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2017/18, by region*

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382725/foodbanks-emergency-food-needed-in-united-kingdom-uk-by-region/

what would you do about zero hour contracts thou, as of 2018 there was around 950k on zhc if that number around 70/75 percent wanted to be on them.
"it's reported by whom, employers? What's to like the low pay, no job security, can't get a loan to buy a house, no set hours, no rights .......................................

As the gig economy reaches new heights, and DPD drivers reveal its downsides, employers should beware of the tables turning

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/05/zero-hours-contracts-dpd-couriers-justice

Zero-hours contracts affect young people's health, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/05/zero-hours-contracts-affect-young-peoples-health-study-finds

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3097 on April 10, 2019, 11:25:41 pm by SydneyRover »

The day of the dead emerges as possible deadline, how appropriate?

More on the possibility of October as a new deadline. This is from the Sunday Times’ Andrew Byrne.

Andrew Byrne (@aqbyrne)

UPDATE: A compromise proposal has emerged for an October 31st (Halloween) extension. It’s backed by Sweden, Denmark, Ireland and others. It splits the difference between long and short and cuts off just before new Commission is due to take office. 🎃 https://t.co/q5sCAZ4d7r
    April 10, 2019

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3098 on April 11, 2019, 12:38:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

Go on then. I'll bite. How was a Brexit PM going to deliver Brexit?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3099 on April 11, 2019, 07:23:38 am by bpoolrover »

''Broken Britain - new:

6,072,095 signatures

"it's reported by whom, employers? What's to like the low pay, no job security, can't get a loan to buy a house, no set hours, no rights .......................................

As the gig economy reaches new heights, and DPD drivers reveal its downsides, employers should beware of the tables turning

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/05/zero-hours-contracts-dpd-couriers-justice

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/05/zero-hours-contracts-affect-young-peoples-health-study-finds
the flexible hours are what i presume they like being able to pick and choose there hours where if they didn’t work zhc they would not be able to do that,dont get me wrong they certainly are not for everyone and i feel for anyone forced to work that way but at the same time many students and older people would not be able to work without them

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3100 on April 11, 2019, 07:40:03 am by SydneyRover »

''Broken Britain - new:

6,072,095 signatures

the flexible hours are what i presume they like being able to pick and choose there hours where if they didn’t work zhc they would not be able to do that,dont get me wrong they certainly are not for everyone and i feel for anyone forced to work that way but at the same time many students and older people would not be able to work without them
I accept that is what you think BP I don't have a problem with that, and I know some on the forum for some reason don't like links being posted as supporting ''evidence'' but here is a prime example where it would be useful to dig out some supporting polls to show that what you are saying is supported by evidence. I agree there has to be some that like the option of working odd hours when they want but 70-75%?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3101 on April 11, 2019, 08:18:27 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I suspect there are some statistics but I haven't seen them.

In my experience I've seen good and bad of them.  I once had a zero hours contract as a student and didn't get enough out of it, that is where they clearly do not work.  I also have seen it work in my professional career particularly around working parents, those of certain age brackets etc where they can use it flexibly around their balanced home life - that is hugely important for many.  So there are positives and negatives.  I don't know what the solution is for the abuse of them though.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3102 on April 11, 2019, 08:59:43 am by Bentley Bullet »

I'm late to the party BB. I thought it was all about witty plays on names. Wigerley,Siderner, Bullshitter. Etc

I'm not one that preaches about grown-up politics. If I was I'd be a hypocrite.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3103 on April 11, 2019, 09:00:46 am by IDM »
So the goatf**k keeps on rolling for another 6 months..

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3104 on April 11, 2019, 09:11:21 am by SydneyRover »
So the goatf**k keeps on rolling for another 6 months..
I don't think so I think they'll get rid of her

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3105 on April 11, 2019, 09:21:57 am by The Red Baron »
TRB

I'll come back on this later, but the key point is something you have said before and which I agree with. On 24th June 2016 no-one knew exactly what Brexit looked like. It was up to whoever became PM to determine that.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3106 on April 11, 2019, 10:10:12 am by Pancho Regan »
It'll be interesting to wake up tomorrow morning and find out what has happened at the summit tonight. Surely if the EU27 will only grant a long-ish extension then May must resign?

I'm struck by how quickly the 27 EU members seem able to lock themselves away and agree on a plan. That's 27 EU members, all reaching a unanimous decision in one late-night sitting!

What a stark contrast to the shower we're lumbered with in our Government.

Can you imagine the outcry if the EU27 had delayed and procrastinated and deliberated and disagreed week after week during these past months?
We certainly can't blame them for the on-going delays and missed deadlines.

It's beyond embarrassing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3107 on April 11, 2019, 10:24:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

I'll come back on this later, but the key point is something you have said before and which I agree with. On 24th June 2016 no-one knew exactly what Brexit looked like. It was up to whoever became PM to determine that.

Precisely. But that required a PM who could find a consensus in the House, not interpret the vote as justifying a particular hard firm of Brexit.

And there's the rub.

There were never enough hard Brexiters in Parliament to support a hard Brexit.

There WERE potentially enough MPs to support a soft Brexit, (CU/SM membership). But a Tory PM pushing that line would lead to the biggest split in the Tory party since the Corn Laws.

And the refusal to choose the right way for the country on that point is why we are where we are now. There is no way that a true Brexit believer PM would have made any other choice. So we'd still come to this point. The immovable object of the need to maintain Tory party unity, against the irresistible force of Parliamentary numbers.

Now that we are here, there's no way Labour are going to compromise with May. The recent talks are all for show. The sub-text is that May has put her party into a literally impossible position. That's HER choice. Labour aren't going to give her a way out. Or at least not without a price that destroys the Tory party.

Welcome to yet another six months of squaring the circle.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3108 on April 11, 2019, 10:37:52 am by MachoMadness »
Another day, another Today interview from John Humphrys where he doesn't once challenge the stream of lies from a Brexiteer. David Davis was again on the air shilling the Malthouse Compromise, again offering non-existent "technology" as a solution to the Irish border, again saying we should reopen the WA... completely unchallenged.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3109 on April 11, 2019, 10:54:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
MM

Amazing isn't it?

Dianne Abbott gets some numbers wrong on air and she's forever useless. Davis can repeatedly come back peddling this zombie idea and he's a serious politician.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3110 on April 11, 2019, 10:57:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I'm not one that preaches about grown-up politics. If I was I'd be a hypocrite.

Aye. You're consistent. Good to see that you don't practice what you don't preach.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #3111 on April 11, 2019, 11:06:48 am by Ldr »
Yay, 6 more months of the hysteria on here......

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3112 on April 11, 2019, 11:08:49 am by Copps is Magic »
The discourse has shifted completely. I heard Farage on LBC the other day describe Britain as a colony of the European empire. Those were his exact words.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3113 on April 11, 2019, 11:10:39 am by Copps is Magic »

I'm struck by how quickly the 27 EU members seem able to lock themselves away and agree on a plan. That's 27 EU members, all reaching a unanimous decision in one late-night sitting!

What a stark contrast to the shower we're lumbered with in our Government.

Can you imagine the outcry if the EU27 had delayed and procrastinated and deliberated and disagreed week after week during these past months?
We certainly can't blame them for the on-going delays and missed deadlines.

It's beyond embarrassing.

And I keep coming back to the same question I've raised a few times now... why are we voting to give these people more control and power?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3114 on April 11, 2019, 11:17:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The discourse has shifted completely. I heard Farage on LBC the other day describe Britain as a colony of the European empire. Those were his exact words.

Aye.

But the trouble is, he's preaching to a constituency of several million idiots who lap up that sort of bullshit.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3115 on April 11, 2019, 11:41:57 am by Axholme Lion »

Aye.

But the trouble is, he's preaching to a constituency of several million idiots who lap up that sort of bullshit.

Why is that bullshit?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #3116 on April 11, 2019, 11:44:01 am by Ldr »
He's a politician, all they speak is bullshit

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3117 on April 11, 2019, 11:46:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
AL.

Let me think...

...oh aye. Because we're not a colony of the EU. We could leave tomorrow if we wanted to. So, as I say, it's bullshit deliberately aimed at idiots.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3118 on April 11, 2019, 11:51:49 am by Axholme Lion »
TRB

Run the clock down?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3119 on April 11, 2019, 11:54:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What in God's name are you wittering on about?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012