Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:40:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question for Silent Majority.  (Read 3194 times)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Question for Silent Majority.
« on December 09, 2018, 01:35:55 pm by Alickismyhero »
Can you suggest,what we as supporters and the club can do, to control, and deal with this small number of badly behaved idiots that attend the away games?

Grants initial response was spot on and reflects the majority of views on this forum.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Question for Silent Majority.
« Reply #1 on December 09, 2018, 01:43:46 pm by GazLaz »
Every club has them, and I’d go as far as saying we probably have less than most clubs as a percentage. It’s not a football issue it’s a society issue.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 09, 2018, 02:32:32 pm by selby »
  It is a hard one, everyone including myself is disgusted by the bad publicity the incident has attracted to the club, and there is no excusing the terrible act itself, 99.999% of our supporters not even having thoughts of doing such a thing entering their head.
  But a lifetime ban, that's a bit over the top for me, but that seems to be the norm for football fans compared to other sports.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 09, 2018, 02:49:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
At home games on the big screen there is the number for ASB which you can use if you see anything like that.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 09, 2018, 03:29:13 pm by Alickismyhero »
The reason I posed the question to SM is that I would expect a good reasoned response because of his experience in these matters.

Correct me if I am wrong SM but you have experience of representing football supporters through your position in the FSF.

Could you not advise what the club in conjunction with the majority of good supporters can do together to point these kids in the right direction.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 09, 2018, 03:37:14 pm by PDX_Rover »
  It is a hard one, everyone including myself is disgusted by the bad publicity the incident has attracted to the club, and there is no excusing the terrible act itself, 99.999% of our supporters not even having thoughts of doing such a thing entering their head.
  But a lifetime ban, that's a bit over the top for me, but that seems to be the norm for football fans compared to other sports.

Whoever it was spat in the face of a young kid there to enjoy his day as a ball boy. What punishment do you suggest?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 09, 2018, 03:50:42 pm by since-1969 »
Let them watch Rotherham

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 09, 2018, 03:59:34 pm by RedJ »
Can you suggest,what we as supporters and the club can do, to control, and deal with this small number of badly behaved idiots that attend the away games?

Grants initial response was spot on and reflects the majority of views on this forum.

Simple. You see it, you tell a steward.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 09, 2018, 04:20:48 pm by ChrisBx »
Deliberately spitting in someone's face is a criminal offence. Do what you'd do if you saw any other assault taking place.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 09, 2018, 04:38:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I have been present when we have discussed this in the past at the club with the relevant liason officer. For offenders, such as smoke bombers etc, one of the things we considered, once the individual(s) is identified, was as an alternative to a banning order is to offer some form of educational or Rovers related Community Service. In other words serving a punishment by putting something back in. Some logistics involved of course but there could be benefits in terms of behavioural rehabilitation etc.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 09, 2018, 07:33:21 pm by Donnywolf »

Im with you on the Ban. Let them come back when they wont let the Club down.

Maybe given the people on here and the Clubs undoubted leaning towards being Family Friendly - which we are all proud of - can offer "counselling" to the individual and show them where they let the Club and Fans down

Perhaps Bristol lad can be "Guest of Honour" next time they play here. Surely we can Crowdfund the Fare ?

People do terrible things such as hit and runs that kill or maim people and they dont get Life time Bans and whoever did this does not deserve that unless they are old enough to know better - and they deserve a second chance and who knows may reform themselves and some of their mates

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 09, 2018, 11:44:48 pm by silent majority »

Hi Alick,

As far as the FSF is concerned we do not condone behaviour of this sort and are very active at stamping out violence, racism, homophobia and all behaviours that spoil the game that we  as supporters love to contribute to. We would never defend anyone who perpetrated behaviours of this sort.

We're also active in working against the current system of banning orders that are currently used as the default position to punish or eradicate certain individuals or behaviours that exist. We do have to be clear on banning orders though, there are those that are imposed by clubs, which is their prerogative, but will only apply to home games, (this case is a typical example), compared to the banning orders which are imposed by the courts following a request from the Police. It's our belief that they achieve very little and can be draconian in their execution.

But to answer your question, i.e. what can we do as supporters and as a club, then the answer is to be vocal about what we dislike and then to act. Behaviours that need to be stamped  out must be Policed by the majority of fans. The responsibility is ours, as the responsible adults that we claim to be, we must ensure that the small minority of supporters who blacken our name and misbehave, either morally, racially or otherwise, need to be isolated by the majority. The authorities can only do so much, its our responsibility to ensure that the behaviours we see that are not appropriate are highlighted. It's our responsibility to eradicate those that carry out these acts, and we do that by not defending those behaviours, we do that by being vocal where necessary, and we do that by identifying the individuals that are behaving illegally or dangerously. It's our responsibility to Police ourselves.

And from what I've read so far this weekend that's exactly what we've done.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 10, 2018, 07:24:10 am by drfchound »
If, as has been said, Alfie May knows who the spitter was, then he or she must be a regular follower of the Rovers.
Could it be possible then that someone else (from on here perhaps) also saw who it was and is in a position to offer that information to the club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 10, 2018, 08:49:36 am by silent majority »
If, as has been said, Alfie May knows who the spitter was, then he or she must be a regular follower of the Rovers.
Could it be possible then that someone else (from on here perhaps) also saw who it was and is in a position to offer that information to the club.

My understanding is that they know who it is and will be taking action.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 10, 2018, 10:08:30 am by goalkick »
Wonder what the parents think of their son who carried out this dispicable act.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 10, 2018, 10:47:53 am by idler »
I wouldn't imagine that he would tell them and after seeing all the flak that he's getting probably now regrets it and won't tell anyone.
That's assuming of course that there is an ounce of decency in him.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 10, 2018, 11:43:23 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Wonder what the parents think of their son who carried out this dispicable act.

Someone like that tends not to have any parents. No legitimate ones at least.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 10, 2018, 12:26:16 pm by rtid88 »
The last away game I went to was against Arsenal last year and after the behaviour of our fans at that game I swore I would never attend another away game again.

I used to love going to away games but I feel nothing but anxiety going now just waiting for something to kick off, either between our fans and opposition supporters or between our own fans...there is simply no enjoyment in it anymore.

In regards to this specific incident, I can honestly say I am not surprised...there is a disturbing and disgraceful number of youths around the Doncaster area these days that are just totally unruly and without any respect or decency...for example I was in the Frenchgate centre yesterday and in the space of 1 hour I saw 3 different lots of kids be chucked out by what seemed like an army of Frenchgate security guards (when I was a kid I think I was surprised to see more than 2 or 3 throughout the shopping centre)...society in Donny is an absolute mess...

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 10, 2018, 12:27:48 pm by Alickismyhero »

Hi Alick,

As far as the FSF is concerned we do not condone behaviour of this sort and are very active at stamping out violence, racism, homophobia and all behaviours that spoil the game that we  as supporters love to contribute to. We would never defend anyone who perpetrated behaviours of this sort.

We're also active in working against the current system of banning orders that are currently used as the default position to punish or eradicate certain individuals or behaviours that exist. We do have to be clear on banning orders though, there are those that are imposed by clubs, which is their prerogative, but will only apply to home games, (this case is a typical example), compared to the banning orders which are imposed by the courts following a request from the Police. It's our belief that they achieve very little and can be draconian in their execution.

But to answer your question, i.e. what can we do as supporters and as a club, then the answer is to be vocal about what we dislike and then to act. Behaviours that need to be stamped  out must be Policed by the majority of fans. The responsibility is ours, as the responsible adults that we claim to be, we must ensure that the small minority of supporters who blacken our name and misbehave, either morally, racially or otherwise, need to be isolated by the majority. The authorities can only do so much, its our responsibility to ensure that the behaviours we see that are not appropriate are highlighted. It's our responsibility to eradicate those that carry out these acts, and we do that by not defending those behaviours, we do that by being vocal where necessary, and we do that by identifying the individuals that are behaving illegally or dangerously. It's our responsibility to Police ourselves.

And from what I've read so far this weekend that's exactly what we've done.

Thank you for the response SM and it is pleasing to know they have a suspect in mind.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 10, 2018, 12:59:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The last away game I went to was against Arsenal last year and after the behaviour of our fans at that game I swore I would never attend another away game again.

I used to love going to away games but I feel nothing but anxiety going now just waiting for something to kick off, either between our fans and opposition supporters or between our own fans...there is simply no enjoyment in it anymore.

In regards to this specific incident, I can honestly say I am not surprised...there is a disturbing and disgraceful number of youths around the Doncaster area these days that are just totally unruly and without any respect or decency...for example I was in the Frenchgate centre yesterday and in the space of 1 hour I saw 3 different lots of kids be chucked out by what seemed like an army of Frenchgate security guards (when I was a kid I think I was surprised to see more than 2 or 3 throughout the shopping centre)...society in Donny is an absolute mess...

It's not just a Donny thing, it's a society thing.  Parenting, education discipline and insufficient consequences. In our day, days past there was always someone to administer a proverbial clip around the ear!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 10, 2018, 01:01:57 pm by Barmby Rover »

Same here 88 after going to see Rovers at Scunny this season, the club is obviously not doing anything to these idiots, otherwise they would not be there any more. It only takes one camera from the club, using the evidence to refuse entry and it is problem solved, any business can turn away customers who are there to cause trouble, DRFC needs to take some responsibility. It is no good saying it is a societal problem, without "society taking situations in hand it continues. If it is only our club that does it I don't care, every movement starts with the first one to move.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 10, 2018, 01:02:36 pm by Barmby Rover »

It's not just a Donny thing, it's a society thing.  Parenting, education discipline and insufficient consequences. In our day, days past there was always someone to administer a proverbial clip around the ear!
So we do nothing and allow anything goes, not the right thing to do.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 10, 2018, 08:28:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Football aside I am not sure it was any better back in the day gents. Always been groups and gangs of lads and lasses up to no good. Everyone has been there at some stage in their life. Most grow out of it though but who hasn’t spent a Saturday afternoon as a youth being moved on from Arndale / Frenchgate?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 10, 2018, 08:46:40 pm by Padge_DRFC »
1900 went to Barnsley and didn’t see an ounce of trouble all day. It’s not every game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012