Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:06:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Scunthorpe game  (Read 13465 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Scunthorpe game
« on December 10, 2018, 10:58:17 am by selby »
   Every game now seems to be more important than the last because not only are we on a winning run, but the other teams above and around us keep picking up points and we need to keep going to break away or make ground up on others.
   Scunthorpe however have not been their usual selves of the last few seasons which have been like us this season pushing for a playoff place, and are currently flirting with the relegation spots being fifth from the bottom of the league.
   They have however a better away record than at home having won three and drawing two of their games on the road, add to that it being a local derby, and it is far from a given we will have an easy time of it. Stuart McCall will know more than most about our playing squad's ability having come up against us many times before, and will have done his homework being one of the managers we considered as a manager before appointing Grant, so will want to do well.
  Their recent form has not been good having won only one of their last six league games and have lost their last three, the team undergoing many changes from even last season, and probably a much reduced playing budget being given to the new manager.
  Can we keep our good form going?
  Would you make any changes to the starting line up?
  Is it the local derby that you look forward to the most?
  Do you expect many Scunthorpe supporters to make the short journey to the Keepmoat?
  Do you dread going in to work next Monday if we lose?
  Will Wolfie visit every pub in Thorne seeking out Scunthorpe supporters if we win?
   Lots to discuss please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Scunthorpe game
« Reply #1 on December 10, 2018, 11:13:46 am by Donnywolf »
Well - beware the banana skin effect is what I am trying to subdue in my psyche

That one where we go into a game - on a great run - get a good Gate - against opponents we expect to just get steam rollered - and then aaaargh - "it" strikes back and we are all on here wondering how did that happen (be it a 0-0 or a single goal defeat

Lets hope it does not happen. They are on a very poor run and have announced another 2 injuries and look there for the taking

We in contrast seem to be very confident and should be having despatched Brizzle 4-0 (noticed the Pitch looked good).

So we should keep our good form going - I am interested to know how many might make the trip - as they used to come in great numbers but have been taking 200+ away for a few Games but might double that in a Stadium that they can sit in (and hopefully stay Seated)

As for looking to find Fans in Thorne I have only ever known one personally - believe he was their "Scout" - but
I have a former Player living just opposite me but he supports his other Club Terriers - so finding one at any time will be hard !

Hope we avoid the Banana Skin and sure we will !

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 10, 2018, 12:11:00 pm by RoversAlias »
I can't remember the last time Sunny looked so crap, on the face of it, heading into this derby. Our EFL Cup win in August was, by all accounts, a game we should've won by a far bigger margin than we actually did, and since then they haven't managed to find their feet even with fresh management.

We need to go out there and really put them to the sword.

Donny Old Boy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 10, 2018, 12:16:28 pm by Donny Old Boy »
Is it all ticket or can you pay on the gate

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 10, 2018, 12:17:55 pm by deebee »
Don't forget 12-15 Kickoff.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 10, 2018, 01:00:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The only tactical approach I can think of is let's batter them!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 10, 2018, 01:14:28 pm by RedJ »
Is it all ticket or can you pay on the gate

Haven't seen owt to say it is all ticket.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 10, 2018, 01:29:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m with Donny Wolf. Banana skin fear. It’s a derby and they should be up for it, but so will we!

Looking forward to this one.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 10, 2018, 01:43:52 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Won’t be all ticket unless Scunny sell 4K. Until then no reason to buy in the home end

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 10, 2018, 03:50:52 pm by drfchound »
One thing is for sure, our manager and team wont be complacent going into the game.
Fans often fall into that trap but players tend not to.
We all hear the phrase "no easy games" and it is so true.
It would be great to hammer them but in reality I would be happy to squeeze out a win of any sort.
At the moment we have players available who can come into the team and make a difference if needed and that is standing up well.
Good to see Wilks get a couple of goals last weekend and like JM has done after not netting for a few games, he could go on a scoring run now.

I wouldn't expect lots of Scunny fans to make the trip.
Obviously they are having a tough time just now and only a few games ago some of our supporters said they weren't going to Barnsley because we had had a few bad results up to that match.

it would be good if they turn up in big numbers however as it always adds to the atmosphere in the ground.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 10, 2018, 04:05:26 pm by Padge_DRFC »
9.5k crowd 8000 home fans 1.5k from Scunny our prices are reasonable. In fact what’s amusing their dump of an away end costs more to go to than ours.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 10, 2018, 04:20:55 pm by drfchound »
9.5k crowd 8000 home fans 1.5k from Scunny our prices are reasonable. In fact what’s amusing their dump of an away end costs more to go to than ours.

…..and you can get stuck behind a chuffing iron girder.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 10, 2018, 04:35:11 pm by Donnywolf »
Won’t be all ticket unless Scunny sell 4K. Until then no reason to buy in the home end

Weve given them 1497 and they wont sell that out. Its half of their Home Gate from Gillinigham game after all

They have been taking around 250 away although we are closer of course. Peg them for 500 tops

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 10, 2018, 04:36:07 pm by RedJ »

…..and you can get stuck behind a chuffing iron girder.

And you have to actually go to Scunthorpe.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 10, 2018, 05:01:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
I'd love a good few more in the ground, but going on our last few home games, I'm not sure we'll get as many as 8,000 home fans. I agree about the 500 away fans as well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 10, 2018, 05:47:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Rovers can't really do much more to promote the game in terms of results, so let's hope for reasonable weather and a seasonal atmosphere, and I don't mean it's a time for giving!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 10, 2018, 05:55:02 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Our form is good we haven’t had a home game for 2 and a half weeks by the time it comes around. It’s a local derby. I’d be very concerned if we don’t get more than 8k home fans.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 10, 2018, 07:24:27 pm by IDM »
I won’t be concerned..

An early kick off mucks up my whole day whereas I can make a 3pm game.. and there’s Christmas shopping too..

Had this been played on Friday night, I might have gone but there’s no chance now for me.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 10, 2018, 08:26:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Weve given them 1497 and they wont sell that out. Its half of their Home Gate from Gillinigham game after all

They have been taking around 250 away although we are closer of course. Peg them for 500 tops

Agreed they are on poor form.  Having said that they do like coming here so will no doubt be more up for it then usual.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 10, 2018, 08:32:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
They have won 2 out of the last 10 games at Keepmoat / Belle Vue.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 10, 2018, 08:41:07 pm by RedJ »
Didn't we do the double over them for something like 7 years running until Ryan Murrant made that f**king video?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 10, 2018, 08:53:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
“Banter”

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 10, 2018, 10:33:54 pm by Donnywolf »
Didn't we do the double over them for something like 7 years running until Ryan Murrant made that f**king video?

Yes - we were on a right roll - until that unfortunate "tempting of fate" did just that

Feels a bit like that now leading into this game but form should prevail  :scarf: :bbscarf: :bscarf:

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 11, 2018, 07:30:41 am by Crowle Rover »
I won’t be concerned..

An early kick off mucks up my whole day whereas I can make a 3pm game.. and there’s Christmas shopping too..

Had this been played on Friday night, I might have gone but there’s no chance now for me.

Same for me have to miss it because of work and early kick off.

Grrrrrr!!!!!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 11, 2018, 08:10:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Forecast is cold on Saturday too.  Can see it now, a frozen pitch that would've been fine at 3pm....

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 11, 2018, 04:47:19 pm by Filo »
Forecast is cold on Saturday too.  Can see it now, a frozen pitch that would've been fine at 3pm....

We’ve been there before, rember the Leeds Game a few years agao

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 11, 2018, 05:45:38 pm by the vicar »
Weather forecast is snow mostly on high ground but with a frost we have covers to cover -8 and I can't see it being that low

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 11, 2018, 05:59:36 pm by Padge_DRFC »
The game will be on. According to the free press there’s no trains from Scunny to Donny because of Northern rail. I thought Cleethorpes quick train stopped at Scunny and isn’t northern rail

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 11, 2018, 07:45:44 pm by Donnywolf »
Its Transpennine Express and will be running for them ! All Northern Services are wiped out on the Day on that

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 11, 2018, 10:42:38 pm by Campsall rover »
Weather forecast is snow mostly on high ground but with a frost we have covers to cover -8 and I can't see it being that low
Are you sure as I thought our covers worked up to -3 degrees.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012