Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:09:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: popular STAND fanzine issue 97 on sale at Scunthorpe game  (Read 1743 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
popular STAND fanzine issue 97 on sale at Scunthorpe game
« on December 12, 2018, 09:50:27 pm by VivaRovers »
As per the title, issue 97 of the double-award-winning popular STAND fanzine will be available outside the Keepmoat before Saturday's game.

Here's what's in it and where you can find it

Yes, it's still £1.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
Re: popular STAND fanzine issue 97 on sale at Scunthorpe game
« Reply #1 on December 13, 2018, 12:56:33 pm by CottyRover »
You'll be up extra early on Saturday morning then! Looking forward to reading it!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 14, 2018, 10:45:48 am by Chris Black come back »
Serious question.

Has our unofficial club mascot Bernard Glover ever been consulted about his image being used - or in the sad event he is no longer with us, his kith and kin?

Cannot think of any image that sums up Rovers more than Bernard - except Copps perhaps.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 14, 2018, 10:55:24 am by idler »
I don't know but he died some years ago.
He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but he loved the Rovers and always had something to say or shout. I personally would be happy for his memory to live on in the fanzine if he had been related to me.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 14, 2018, 12:15:24 pm by VivaRovers »
Serious question.

Has our unofficial club mascot Bernard Glover ever been consulted about his image being used - or in the sad event he is no longer with us, his kith and kin?

Sort of... when I first picked him out I confess I didn't seek permission as I didn't really have any idea who he was. I lifted it from a photo of the players coming out of the tunnel at a match in 1991(ish). All around him is a blur of clapping hands and cheering, and he's just stoically looking forwards from the terrace. And, like you, I couldn't think of a more apt icon for supporting Rovers.

Anyway, when I 'unveiled' him on the fanzine social media accounts I asked for suggestions for a name for him. And rather than get amusing suggestions, I was duly told exactly who he was and where he was from by a friend or relative (I sadly forget which) who used to travel with him to games. So rather than pick a nickname, as he had indeed passed on, I chose to use his real name as a tribute to his Rovers support; 'Bernard Glover from Wheatley'. The person who got in touch was happy for us to do so, and they did say they reckon he'd have been fine with it too. Albeit grudgingly. Which is perhaps perfect.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 14, 2018, 02:07:38 pm by Chris Black come back »
For those that have not seen the image, it is well worth seeing.

The photo in question is I think from one of the Stuart Roy Clarke 'Homes of Football' series.

It is entitled something like 'Expectation' which given looking at kits it is either 90/91 or 91/92 then it was certainly a long gestation for any expectation of success.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 14, 2018, 03:19:52 pm by RoversAlias »
A wonderful image, some familiar faces in there.

I love the Bernard Glover logo and what it represents at Rovers. Wear the pin on my coat wherever I go!

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 15, 2018, 08:12:56 am by VivaRovers »
Just bumping this thread in celebration of making it to Kings Cross in time for the train north.

All being well the zine will be on sale outside the ground from 10.45am.

Please try and buy your copy before the game if you can so I don’t have to stand out in the cold twice.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 15, 2018, 08:33:23 am by Donnywolf »
Just bumping this thread in celebration of making it to Kings Cross in time for the train north.

All being well the zine will be on sale outside the ground from 10.45am.

Please try and buy your copy before the game if you can so I don’t have to stand out in the cold twice.

Nah - they will sell out afore't game surely ?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 15, 2018, 05:04:17 pm by VivaRovers »
Huge thanks to everyone who bought a copy today, especially so many of you who paid extra or took the time to congratulate us on the recent award.

Today was the coldest sales day I can remember so big thanks to Howard and Matty for braving it with me pre-match to sell.

If you missed out I’ve 8 copies left. Happy to post anywhere in the world. PM me to arrange if you want one.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 16, 2018, 11:43:16 pm by Mike_F »
Just finished reading my copy. I loved the bits in Copps; both the editorial and the team mate stats.

Also really interesting to see in Dutch’s piece that per league season we’re the yo-yo kings.

Cracking read as always.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 16, 2018, 11:58:47 pm by RedJ »

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 17, 2018, 12:22:37 am by Mike_F »
Ha ha... I’m almost proud of that typo. If that’s what Copps wants he’s welcome to it. I bloody love the man.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 17, 2018, 03:28:23 pm by VivaRovers »
Cheers Mike, glad you enjoyed it. Hope others did too.

Banked the money from this issue's sales this morning and there was a hefty amount extra in there, for what we sold on Saturday. Huge thanks once again to everyone who chooses to pay more than the £1 asked; it is greatly appreciated. And as you can see from the announcement inside this issue - it all goes to helping folk in our town who really need it.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 17, 2018, 06:04:56 pm by roversontheup »
I’ve put this on a different thread but will repeat it.......I’ m not a regular Fanzine reader in fact probably only bought one a couple of times.....but I bought one on Saturday from a frozen Howard. I really enjoyed reading it....some really good articles. Intend buying more regularly now and next time will remember to donate more than the £1.
Congratulations to all involved.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012