Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 04:37:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis (again!)  (Read 5162 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis (again!)
« Reply #30 on January 06, 2019, 09:16:48 pm by NickDRFC »
The defender only cut it out because Marquis put nothing on it. Not sure I’d call it brilliant vision either, he’d have had to be blind not to see the men in the middle! You could tell by the look on his face immediately after that he knew how much he’d messed it up.

No need to dwell on it though - another excellent all round performance and yet another goal, if he sticks with us I think he should definitely get 30 in all competitions, and possibly just in the league.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 06, 2019, 09:27:44 pm by drfchound »
The defender only cut it out because Marquis put nothing on it. Not sure I’d call it brilliant vision either, he’d have had to be blind not to see the men in the middle! You could tell by the look on his face immediately after that he knew how much he’d messed it up.

No need to dwell on it though - another excellent all round performance and yet another goal, if he sticks with us I think he should definitely get 30 in all competitions, and possibly just in the league.

Wilks must have had the blinkers on then straight after the break when he went round the keeper.
Marquis was stood on the penalty spot with an open goal if Malik had squared to him instead of shooting.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 06, 2019, 09:33:59 pm by RedJ »
Woeful, that was. We'd have probably gone into the break 2-0 up and it's a totally different game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 06, 2019, 09:36:47 pm by drfchound »
Woeful, that was. We'd have probably gone into the break 2-0 up and it's a totally different game.

Mate, it was at the start of the second half.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 06, 2019, 09:42:15 pm by NickDRFC »

Wilks must have had the blinkers on then straight after the break when he went round the keeper.
Marquis was stood on the penalty spot with an open goal if Malik had squared to him instead of shooting.

I wouldn’t say it’s quite the same as his first touch took him away from goal and he shot without looking up. Had he shown a bit more composure he may have been able to pass to Marquis but the keeper would possibly have blocked it given he was between them.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 06, 2019, 09:44:43 pm by drfchound »

I wouldn’t say it’s quite the same as his first touch took him away from goal and he shot without looking up. Had he shown a bit more composure he may have been able to pass to Marquis but the keeper would possibly have blocked it given he was between them.

It was much worse, and he was round the keeper.
It was a simple ball to play in to Marquis.
The keeper wouldn’t have got anywhere near a ball across goal.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 06, 2019, 09:45:23 pm by Copps is Magic »
£7 million

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 06, 2019, 09:50:23 pm by RedJ »

Mate, it was at the start of the second half.

So it was. I'll blame that on being up since 6. :laugh:

It would have been a totally different game though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:46:58 pm by RedJ »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 06, 2019, 09:59:55 pm by NickDRFC »
Hound, we’ll have to disagree on this one but for me Marquis’ was far, far worse. He was facing goal, had 2 players to pick from and plenty of time. Wilks touched round the keeper and shot with his next touch without even looking up. Have a look at this still - firstly Wilks would have been slated for not shooting at an empty net, and secondly can you honestly say the keeper would have got nowhere near it when he is directly between Wilks & Marquis?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 06, 2019, 10:11:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Lads, we won!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 06, 2019, 10:13:19 pm by drfchound »
Yes because Malik was totally in control of the situation.
The keeper was off balance and out of the equation.
Malik had time to move on a couple of paces and square the ball to John.
He just never looked up.
I can understand why he had a shot, many strikers would have done so, but he needs to have a bit more composure in those situations.
The still you show doesn’t give as clear a picture as when you look at the “moving picture” on the highlights.
The fact that Malik didn’t look up is prcecesly the problem.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 06, 2019, 10:14:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Nick

That's looking at it statically though.

The reason Wilks shot so poorly is that the centre half was haring back and cut down the angle rapidly. So by the time he shot, the space to hit in the goal was much smaller. But equally, the centre back was spring ting away from Marquis.

If Wilks had squared the ball, not to Marquis's position there, but towards the penalty spot, it would have been an easy finish for Marquis. The centre back would not have been able to change direction to cover it.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 06, 2019, 10:21:46 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 06, 2019, 10:25:25 pm by graingrover »
We play a blinder come on this forum to find people criticising Marquis and Wilkes . it does make you wonder what our players must think .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 06, 2019, 10:29:55 pm by NickDRFC »
As DBR says we won, neither mistake proved costly and both strikers scored. No harm done.

Graingrover - I’m sure that McCann will point out to both Marquis and Wilks their mistakes in the game and how to learn from them. Just because we won and played (extremely) well doesn’t mean that we can’t find areas to improve. And I can’t imagine that our players are on a forum at half ten on a Sunday night giving a toss what drfchound or NickDRFC think about a couple of missed chances in the game.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 06, 2019, 10:33:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We play a blinder come on this forum to find people criticising Marquis and Wilkes . it does make you wonder what our players must think .

Just discussing stuff Brian.

Me, I want our players to be as perfect as I was going to be, before I realised the Second Division of the Dearne Sunday League was my level.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 06, 2019, 11:09:08 pm by dknward2 »
The players want to be the best and learn from each other, they say as much in their interviews.

I guess this is why John tried to square the ball across to I think it was Kane, as he had seen Wilkes had the shot earlier and could have cut back unfortunately both had time but probably didn’t realise it they could have made the pass or had another look round.

But end of the day we won and that’s all that really matters

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 07, 2019, 01:29:11 am by Colin C No.3 »
Hound, we’ll have to disagree on this one but for me Marquis’ was far, far worse. He was facing goal, had 2 players to pick from and plenty of time. Wilks touched round the keeper and shot with his next touch without even looking up. Have a look at this still - firstly Wilks would have been slated for not shooting at an empty net, and secondly can you honestly say the keeper would have got nowhere near it when he is directly between Wilks & Marquis?

That's part of the 'problem' with Malik, he doesn't look up. But hey, the lad made amends with the third & who was the first to whisper sweet nothings into his ear, Marquis.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 07, 2019, 07:22:37 am by drfchound »

Grainge, it is a point of discussion.
A poster brought up a cross by Marquis that he thought was a bad one, someone else (me) compared it to another situation involving Wilks.

Two or three other posters have offered an opinion.

Nothing wrong with that is there.

If you read the rest of the threads tonight, all of those posters also praised the team and the same two players for their contributions today.

No need to try to have a go at people.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:37:42 am by drfchound »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 07, 2019, 07:27:38 am by dickos1 »
I think the wilks one, he rounded the keeper had an open goal so I think every striker in the land would’ve tried to score there. The issue was he didn’t look up to see where the goal was so he passed the ball in the wrong direction.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 07, 2019, 07:31:33 am by idler »
I'm sure that the players will watch the match again and know themselves they might have done better with certain choices.
That happens at all levels in all games and if it helps you make better choices more regularly in the future all well and good. It's not a witch hunt and if these players made no mistakes they would be playing for better teams already rather than in the future.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 07, 2019, 09:59:42 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hindsight is great but at the time, we're talking about split second decisions. Marquis would have done the same as Malik however it would have had to be a pinpoint finish with pace as the defender was getting back. Equally, to suggest a square ball would have been the easier option was not true either. It almost would have had to be a reverse ball at the right pace for Marquis to score. If it was that easy then Marquis square ball to Herbie would have found it's way through.

We're talking about situations that world class players execute more frequently, for example Man City, Liverpool play these incisive passes and make it look easy. It isn't.

The good news is, the more the players practice, the easier it will become.

I'll give alot of credit to Wilks for his goal as he kept his eye on the ball knowing the keeper was on his way out. For all he knew, he could have got flattened but he had the presence of mind to nod it to one side and roll it in. It could easily have been a different outcome.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 07, 2019, 10:32:12 am by IDM »
We are not going to score from every chance of half chance we make, sometimes bad choices, mistimed passes, good defending etc.. I expect the coaching staff will review these chances with the players despite winning the game..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012