Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:37:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Electric Cars - a serious logistical question  (Read 16303 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: Electric Cars - a serious logistical question
« Reply #60 on April 17, 2019, 04:10:44 pm by Axholme Lion »
Batteries getting cheaper quicker;
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-12/electric-vehicle-battery-shrinks-and-so-does-the-total-cost

Closing in on Axholme now...change is a-coming!

Ha ha  :)

My Mrs is swapping her car in few months time, petrol is the safest option at the moment.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 18, 2019, 07:02:38 am by Filo »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-12/electric-vehicle-battery-shrinks-and-so-does-the-total-cost

My Mrs is swapping her car in few months time, petrol is the safest option at the moment.

I swapped my diesel X3 for a petrol X3, gone from 37mpg to 21mpg and an increase of £300 on road tax

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 18, 2019, 09:13:10 am by Axholme Lion »

I swapped my diesel X3 for a petrol X3, gone from 37mpg to 21mpg and an increase of £300 on road tax

That's hefty for a petrol engine nowadays. Commuting into Doncaster my Subaru XV gives me around 37-38 mpg, that's a 2.0 litre petrol engine with permanent AWD. It does much more than that on a run driven carefully.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 18, 2019, 11:56:38 am by RedJ »
I get 70-76mpg on a decent run on the motorway in my Insignia 2.0 Diesel, don't really check it on my commute but now you've mentioned it...

Only cost me £60 to drive to Plymouth and back.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 18, 2019, 12:18:10 pm by Axholme Lion »
I get 70-76mpg on a decent run on the motorway in my Insignia 2.0 Diesel, don't really check it on my commute but now you've mentioned it...

That's not bad for that distance. When I go down Millwall I normally take my Mrs's Suzuki SX4, 1.6 petrol, it costs around £45 for the trip there and back.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 18, 2019, 12:57:40 pm by RedJ »

That's not bad for that distance. When I go down Millwall I normally take my Mrs's Suzuki SX4, 1.6 petrol, it costs around £45 for the trip there and back.

Aye, used to drive to Scotland and back on £35-40 - compare that with a 1.6 petrol Mini at £80...

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 18, 2019, 01:45:08 pm by Axholme Lion »

Aye, used to drive to Scotland and back on £35-40 - compare that with a 1.6 petrol Mini at £80...
The problem with diesels is that when they break they can be extremely expensive to repair.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 18, 2019, 07:50:00 pm by Filo »

That's hefty for a petrol engine nowadays. Commuting into Doncaster my Subaru XV gives me around 37-38 mpg, that's a 2.0 litre petrol engine with permanent AWD. It does much more than that on a run driven carefully.

2.5 litre engine,AWD, the straight 6 BMW engines are a bit thirsty

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 18, 2019, 07:52:35 pm by Filo »

The problem with diesels is that when they break they can be extremely expensive to repair.

Thats the reason I swapped to a petrol X3, after new turbo, new injectors, new egr valve and new intercooler

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 18, 2019, 08:37:27 pm by drfchound »

I can’t believe that you didn’t know about those differences Filo so why did you do that?

Edit: Just seen the above post.
Still seems a bit extreme though. My X5 does 32mpg just knocking about and about 36/38 on a motorway run.
Diesel of course.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:41:49 pm by drfchound »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 18, 2019, 08:45:03 pm by RedJ »

Aye, true enough. Mine is an ex sales rep's car so got a lot of miles on it but it's just past the stage where it needed all the shite doing at 100k and never had any issues since I got it.

No tax on mine though and it's pennies to run compared to a petrol so swings and roundabouts, I guess.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 18, 2019, 09:11:29 pm by RobTheRover »
No tax on mine either (45g/km carbon)

I have a 30 miles commute, A1/M62/M1. Usually get about 78mpg on that run. 2 litre petrol + electric, with the car deciding which (or both) is more economical to use at any point.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 18, 2019, 09:41:51 pm by Filo »

I can’t believe that you didn’t know about those differences Filo so why did you do that?

Edit: Just seen the above post.
Still seems a bit extreme though. My X5 does 32mpg just knocking about and about 36/38 on a motorway run.
Diesel of course.

I have to admit, I knew the mpg would take a hit, but I had no idea the road tax would be £300 dearer than a dirty diesel

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 19, 2019, 08:20:51 am by Axholme Lion »
I had a Suzuki Jimny for knocking around in and the tax was £100 for six months. Outrageous for a tiny car.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 11, 2019, 02:52:31 pm by albie »
Back to the future with electric cars.

BBC reporting on using your car to feed leccy back to the grid or house:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money

Sounds good!

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on June 11, 2019, 03:07:25 pm by Not Now Kato »
Back to the future with electric cars.

BBC reporting on using your car to feed leccy back to the grid or house:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money

Sounds good!

At first glance, yes.  But it has to assume that you're only doing shortish runs with the ability to fully charge at the end of each run.  If you plan a long run then the situation changes and you'd be better not plugging the car in at night; and if you do long runs every day, (eg Sales Rep), then not useful at all.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 11, 2019, 05:09:46 pm by albie »
Fairy nuff, NNK.

For many who use the car just for short runs, they might find this useful.

Also for grid balancing of energy supply, you can top up all the mobile units when excess is generated. This means that there will be less need to pay wind turbines to turn off because the national grid cannot take their output when demand is low.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 16, 2019, 04:18:56 am by SydneyRover »
''Should my next car be an electric one?''

''I discovered that there are more than 1,000 charging points now across Scotland including rapid charging points charging cars within 25-40 minutes.

The Scottish government says the average distance between any given location to the nearest public charging point is just 2.78 miles''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-48675303?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/uk&link_location=live-reporting-story

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 16, 2019, 08:08:36 am by RobTheRover »
Download the ZapMap app and have a look where the charge points are. I regularly park for free and get a free charge in Market Place Car Park in Donny. Lidl on Bentley Road is free too.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 16, 2019, 08:34:10 am by SydneyRover »
Download the ZapMap app and have a look where the charge points are. I regularly park for free and get a free charge in Market Place Car Park in Donny. Lidl on Bentley Road is free too.

That's a really good idea, I'm afraid the Australian is wedded to coal and doing nothing about climate change Rob.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 16, 2019, 08:59:56 am by Glyn_Wigley »

''I discovered that there are more than 1,000 charging points now across Scotland including rapid charging points charging cars within 25-40 minutes.

The Scottish government says the average distance between any given location to the nearest public charging point is just 2.78 miles''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-48675303?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/uk&link_location=live-reporting-story

Does that rapid charging time include the time you might have to wait to use it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 16, 2019, 09:30:30 am by SydneyRover »

Does that rapid charging time include the time you might have to wait to use it?

I think you;d have to be a bit strategic with your driving habits until charging times reduce Glyn.

My friends owned a taxi in Cairns pop 150K and the only time it made more money than a wage was when they ran a Toyota Prius hybrid.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 16, 2019, 10:21:25 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I think you;d have to be a bit strategic with your driving habits until charging times reduce Glyn.

My friends owned a taxi in Cairns pop 150K and the only time it made more money than a wage was when they ran a Toyota Prius hybrid.

You can't really plan strategy if you don't know how many people are going to be waiting to charge up until you get to the charge point...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 16, 2019, 10:29:12 am by Filo »
Get a Tesla, normal EV’s can’t use Tesla superchargers unles the vehicle has been authourized by Tesla

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 16, 2019, 10:48:01 am by SydneyRover »

You can't really plan strategy if you don't know how many people are going to be waiting to charge up until you get to the charge point...
The article is not about me Glyn, the 'I' is the author but anyway all over Europe there are charging points for cars, bikes and scooters, charging cycles and batteries will improve it's the future and it will happen.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on August 16, 2019, 12:08:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I've no doubt it will happen, but knowing how laggardly Britain is with installing new technology I'm not expecting it to keep up with demand for quite a while.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 16, 2019, 02:07:29 pm by Donnywolf »
Get a Tesla, normal EV’s can’t use Tesla superchargers unles the vehicle has been authourized by Tesla

or some numb nut in a diesel (or petrol) car is parked in the designated Electric charging point !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 16, 2019, 06:16:35 pm by selby »
  Listened to a guy on talkradio being interviewed, an ex Nuclear submarine engineer working for the UK government on  experimental electric vehicle's.
  He explained they were looking at  an old technology battery based on a changeable Aluminium cassette that can be changed in 40 seconds just pull out and shove in, and some sort of chemical reaction generating an electric charge,
  It works, costs are about 10 pence per mile and a range of over a thousand miles in a family car, easy to pull in and replace, the cassette, and  could be taxed at source of renewal.
   Sounded great, and a British invention,  the problem being the amount of money car manufactures have invested in lithium batteries etc., and digging up half of Argentina he said, for the raw materials, and are reluctant to alter course.
   Could we after Brexit start up British Leyland and go it alone? 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 16, 2019, 07:16:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Listened to a guy on talkradio being interviewed, an ex Nuclear submarine engineer working for the UK government on  experimental electric vehicle's.
  He explained they were looking at  an old technology battery based on a changeable Aluminium cassette that can be changed in 40 seconds just pull out and shove in, and some sort of chemical reaction generating an electric charge,
  It works, costs are about 10 pence per mile and a range of over a thousand miles in a family car, easy to pull in and replace, the cassette, and  could be taxed at source of renewal.
   Sounded great, and a British invention,  the problem being the amount of money car manufactures have invested in lithium batteries etc., and digging up half of Argentina he said, for the raw materials, and are reluctant to alter course.
   Could we after Brexit start up British Leyland and go it alone? 

That sounds like a good idea. Where have I heard it before? :lol:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 16, 2019, 07:23:15 pm by selby »
  Boom, gone fishing, caught a big one. :woohoo:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012