Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:51:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One Call - Excess insurance cover  (Read 3381 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
One Call - Excess insurance cover
« on February 08, 2019, 11:58:42 am by Donnywolf »
Against many posts on here I ditched Direct Line (up 30% with no claims whatsoever) and went with One Call - believe its an L&V Policy
I put in same criteria and that included the Excess One Call 120 Fixed + 300 Voluntary
I saved on Direct Line for almost the same cover but now One Call are asking me to take out a Excess Reducer because my Excess ishigher than my Premium.
They will charge me £60 which would then "waive" my £300 Excess which would be handy they say if I was hit for example by an unisured driver - I said I would think about it - and they reduced it to £45 there and then so it got me wondering is this something I should consider ?

Is the £45 worth paying or should I just stick as I am. I realise that would depend if I were psychic and knew if I was goig to need to Claim BUT I am sure the good people on here may have useful suggestions
As usual Cheers for any info DW

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: One Call - Excess insurance cover
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2019, 12:32:40 pm by Filo »
All insurance brokers are rip off merchants, last year my car insurance renewal went up to £1200 from £280 the year before, no claims, no incidents, nothing had changed, went on a comparison site and found one for £280 ish again, rang my insurance up, told them what I thought and quoted them the best price I had got, straight away they said they’d match it. I told them to f**k off, for trying to rip me off in the first place

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2019, 12:36:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Exactly what happened to me for the last 6 years or so

So by comparing as closely as I could I was led to One Call / L&V and the quote cme up less than last years Direct Line one (where I put £300 Voluntary excess as well 400 i total).

One Call did not alert me at that point about the Excess problem - so If I take it for £60 that will be only £40 less than Direct Line would heve been

Just dont know if I need it ?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2019, 12:41:19 pm by RobTheRover »
I always shop around (Topcashback Compare is a good one to use, and if you take a policy from their compared list you get cashback on it too), and switched the missus' car from Geoffrey last year to RAC this year.  Geoffrey's renewal wasnt too much higher (about £50 if I recall) but the RAC one was cheaper and offered everything I needed.  Having not made a claim for about 20 years I tended to think all insurers were the same - if you arent claiming then you just go cheap, right?

On Tuesday, the Missus was rear-ended by a van at low-ish speed when stationary.  No real sign outwardly of damage but we got it checked at the BMW dealer anyway, who found the bumper was cracked.  Dangerous in another impact, apparently, as it wont behave as intended.  Called RAC Insurance, and I have to say they have been superb.  Everything is getting taken care of, including a hire car whilst the repairs are taking place. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2019, 12:52:38 pm by Filo »
I always shop around (Topcashback Compare is a good one to use, and if you take a policy from their compared list you get cashback on it too), and switched the missus' car from Geoffrey last year to RAC this year.  Geoffrey's renewal wasnt too much higher (about £50 if I recall) but the RAC one was cheaper and offered everything I needed.  Having not made a claim for about 20 years I tended to think all insurers were the same - if you arent claiming then you just go cheap, right?

On Tuesday, the Missus was rear-ended by a van at low-ish speed when stationary.  No real sign outwardly of damage but we got it checked at the BMW dealer anyway, who found the bumper was cracked.  Dangerous in another impact, apparently, as it wont behave as intended.  Called RAC Insurance, and I have to say they have been superb.  Everything is getting taken care of, including a hire car whilst the repairs are taking place. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2019, 01:20:00 pm by RobTheRover »

😂😂😂😂😂😂

OK, twice then.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2019, 03:46:34 pm by ravenrover »
All insurance brokers are rip off merchants, last year my car insurance renewal went up to £1200 from £280 the year before, no claims, no incidents, nothing had changed, went on a comparison site and found one for £280 ish again, rang my insurance up, told them what I thought and quoted them the best price I had got, straight away they said they’d match it. I told them to f**k off, for trying to rip me off in the first place
Whem my insurance goes up unreasonably I do exactly the same as you Filo and when they ask why I haven't given them a chance to match it they get the same response, shouldn't have tried it on in the 1st place. Having said that I've been with LV for a few years now and my premium has hardly increased over that time, very happy!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2019, 04:07:04 pm by Jenny »
Ours went up and admiral refused to match another quote qnd told Andy the only way they could bring it down was to take me off the policy 🤣

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2019, 06:42:23 pm by idler »
I didn't realise that your driving was so bad Jenny.🤔

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 08, 2019, 08:24:35 pm by Mr1Croft »
Every year since driving I've had to shop around for cheaper quotes as my insurance renewal was always higher.

I currently work in the accident repair and insurer sector and have worked with all of the main insurers in the UK at one point or another and everyone has told me the same thing when it comes to renewals, they purposely increase it as statistically, you are more likely to claim with each passing year. 

It's no secret that they price it based on how likely you are to claim. Obviously previous claims, age and area play a large part but the biggest factor is time. You are more likely to claim over a 10 year period than you are over a 1 year period. So for a insurance company, with every year a driver renews without claiming the risk of a claim increases.  Therefore it is in the interests of the insurance companies to use low and attractive rates for new customers, and then after a year increase the cost as the odds of that driver claiming increases year on year. If the absolute worst happens and you leave for another insurer, they have already taken money from you for at least a year and haven't had to spend anything on you other than a few letters/emails and a few phone calls.

Being no different to the gambling or stocks industries, it's based solely on statistics and loyalty does not weigh the stats in your favour.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 08, 2019, 08:39:52 pm by Dagenham Rover »
One call have always been ok with  me tbh even when i look i look around they tend to be there or as near as damn it intrestingly I drive a toyota hybrid and direct line wont touch it and wont even quote

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 08, 2019, 08:58:50 pm by Donnywolf »
All good info but can anyone actually give me a pointer about my OP please ?

Need to decide but I am not armed with any facts and certainly no clue what is right for me ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 08, 2019, 09:01:16 pm by Donnywolf »
One call have always been ok with  me tbh even when i look i look around they tend to be there or as near as damn it intrestingly I drive a toyota hybrid and direct line wont touch it and wont even quote

I have RAV 4 Hybrid and DL did me no problem

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 08, 2019, 11:05:14 pm by Dagenham Rover »

I have RAV 4 Hybrid and DL did me no problem

Very interesting  I'm 60 no points no nothing donkeys year ncb I just presumed they didn't want the hassle if a claim came through with the hybrid bit and maybe having to get it repaired through toyota rather than where they want it to go

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 09, 2019, 07:22:10 am by Donnywolf »
I have had 2 x Prius and 2 x Rav 4 hybrids - all insured with no problems with Direct Line and Prudential

What I am struggling with is the Excess Insurance - which I have never come across - and which did not appear in my quote procedure. All due to my Excess £400 being higher than my annual Premium ?

They say if I have a no fault accident (vandalism) I will have to give them that £400 but I thought thats how it worked anyway?

If Vandalism damage was £1000 I would pay 400 and they would pay 600 BUT if damage was £500 it would not be worth me claiming and I would pay 400 plus 100 to whoever fixed it ?

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 09, 2019, 09:17:11 am by rich1471 »
Look at reducing your excess , I played around with mine and and by putting in £100 excess I pay around £15 more a year on my insurance , change it from £300 to £500 the price does not come down.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 09, 2019, 09:56:16 am by Muttley »
I have had 2 x Prius and 2 x Rav 4 hybrids - all insured with no problems with Direct Line and Prudential

What I am struggling with is the Excess Insurance - which I have never come across - and which did not appear in my quote procedure. All due to my Excess £400 being higher than my annual Premium ?

They say if I have a no fault accident (vandalism) I will have to give them that £400 but I thought thats how it worked anyway?

If Vandalism damage was £1000 I would pay 400 and they would pay 600 BUT if damage was £500 it would not be worth me claiming and I would pay 400 plus 100 to whoever fixed it ?

They're trying to sell you an insurance policy for your insurance policy?

Bonkers!

Presumably you were happy with the excess of £300 in the first place so why would you now want to reduce it by taking out this other policy (which will no doubt have strings attached)?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 09, 2019, 04:00:04 pm by GazLaz »
Don’t pay it. It’s a scam.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 09, 2019, 05:47:35 pm by Mr1Croft »
DW, it's nothing to do with your excess being higher than your policy. It's an upsell and they are using that fact as a sales tactic.

Many insurers offer it but check the small print and the T&C's, it may be that they will waive your excess only if you allow one of their 'approved Accident Repair Centres/Bodyshops' to repair the vehicle and if you want to choose your own repairer you still need to pay the full excess - by approved they mean one they have a contract with which would be cheaper than if you went to a 'non-approved' repairer. Your Toyota dealer will more than likely be non-approved for One CA.

9/10 these repairers are approved for the insurers and not the manufacturer. They will still fit genuine parts and repair to Thatcham (manufacturer approved) methods but it may not be a Toyota licenced/approved repairer. You also need to make sure any repairer has correct ATA accreditation for working with Hybrid vehicles.

Remember in the event of an accident you have the right to choose which repairer you want, insurers want you to use their approved (ie cheaper) options and often include extra excess or no CC entitlement in the small print if you don't so always check that.

I know in the past if people didn't choose One Call's approved Repairer the excess went up by £250 which was in the small print so also check that as well!

Assuming you are happy with the above, you need to consider how likely you are to need it.

On average, 1 in 30 drivers make a motor insurance claim each year. The excess gets waived in around 30% of these cases (which are largely non-fault).

Without looking at other factors, the odds you will have to make a claim and pay your excess is about 40/1.

It's your choice, you could pay the £45 for peace of mind if you claim, if you don't and you need to make a claim you may be kicking yourself, but that's life. Every phone I've bought and not taken protection on my screen I've smashed. The last two where I have taken protection have lasted me 2 years with the screen crack free.

Also remember you only pay your excess if the claim results in a repair on YOUR vehicle and there is no Third Party liability absolving you of blame. So if someone else claims against you, you don't pay, and if it's written off/total lossed (or dealt as a cash in lieu settlement) you don't pay your excess.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:50:46 pm by Mr1Croft »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 11, 2019, 03:50:04 pm by Donnywolf »

They're trying to sell you an insurance policy for your insurance policy?

Bonkers!

Presumably you were happy with the excess of £300 in the first place so why would you now want to reduce it by taking out this other policy (which will no doubt have strings attached)?

Yes thanks for that. They seemed very quick to drop their price from  to 45 and threw in loads of what if scenarious

As you say I was happy to have £300 excess and the mandatory £100 because I wanted to do as near like for like as I could

I looked at an exces of 100 + their 100 and it obviously put my  premium up be a huge wedge so I thought well I will take 300 and the consequences if any arise !

Think I will continue with that "tactic"

Thanks again

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 12, 2019, 12:23:40 am by silent majority »
I've posted on here before about the incredibly bad service I had from One Call. Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 12, 2019, 09:15:00 am by Filo »

Just used that comparison site to do my daughters insurance, RAC also came out tops, £200 cheaper than her soon to be ex insurance company Quotemehappy

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 12, 2019, 09:29:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Every year since driving I've had to shop around for cheaper quotes as my insurance renewal was always higher.

I currently work in the accident repair and insurer sector and have worked with all of the main insurers in the UK at one point or another and everyone has told me the same thing when it comes to renewals, they purposely increase it as statistically, you are more likely to claim with each passing year. 

It's no secret that they price it based on how likely you are to claim. Obviously previous claims, age and area play a large part but the biggest factor is time. You are more likely to claim over a 10 year period than you are over a 1 year period. So for a insurance company, with every year a driver renews without claiming the risk of a claim increases.  Therefore it is in the interests of the insurance companies to use low and attractive rates for new customers, and then after a year increase the cost as the odds of that driver claiming increases year on year. If the absolute worst happens and you leave for another insurer, they have already taken money from you for at least a year and haven't had to spend anything on you other than a few letters/emails and a few phone calls.

Being no different to the gambling or stocks industries, it's based solely on statistics and loyalty does not weigh the stats in your favour.

That doesn't make any sense. It's not the likelihood of a claim over a ten year period that's the point. It's the likelihood of a claim in any given year. You're paying for one year at a time, not for a ten year period. Therefore the cost should be based on the risk you pose in this given year, not over a ten year period.

Plus, we all know that if we switch every year, we'll pay far less over a ten year period than if we stay with the same insurer.

Which leaves only two logical conclusions about staying with the same insurer.

1) They put the price up every year because the risk IN EACH YEAR is greater than the year before, but only if you stay with that insurer; if you change insurer, the risk, for some reason, drops.

2) They are fleecing drivers who are too busy, lazybor forgetful to change, by engaging in the age old process of inertia pricing.

I know which explanation makes more sense to me.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 12, 2019, 11:10:56 am by Donnywolf »
Incidentally - following on from that - why does having 2 drivers on your Policy often work out cheaper than just one

There is only me that drives but this implies adding my Wife (if qualified of course) would make it cheaper insurance - but how does that work given only 1 person can be behind the wheel at any time

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 12, 2019, 03:39:15 pm by drfchound »
Incidentally - following on from that - why does having 2 drivers on your Policy often work out cheaper than just one

There is only me that drives but this implies adding my Wife (if qualified of course) would make it cheaper insurance - but how does that work given only 1 person can be behind the wheel at any time

You could just name another family member John, a sibling would do.
Don’t put anyone on who has had a motoring conviction in the last five years though.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 12, 2019, 05:03:12 pm by Donnywolf »
I have not seen my one and only Sibling for 7 or more years and not spoken to him for 10+ years - and I think we are both happy with that lol

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 12, 2019, 06:25:26 pm by drfchound »
Well, have you still got a friend then.  ;)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 13, 2019, 04:21:14 pm by Donnywolf »
Aye but my question was - why would it be cheaper to add an extra person

If its me - its one person - a known risk, but adding another person (also I suppose a known risk) I dont see why they would make it cheaper ?

Maybe missing something obvious but I just dont "get it"

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 13, 2019, 06:14:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not saying the police have their favourites but I was wrongly stopped for having no insurance a few years back and when I told them I could ring up my insurance to sort it they said I was only allowed to have One Call.

As a Direct Line user back then I found it quite discriminating.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2019, 12:13:41 pm by rich1471 »
Aye but my question was - why would it be cheaper to add an extra person

If its me - its one person - a known risk, but adding another person (also I suppose a known risk) I dont see why they would make it cheaper ?

Maybe missing something obvious but I just dont "get it"
When i passed my test at 34 my quote was for insurance was around £1400 i called loads of insurers until one asked me if i was married , i said yes so they put my wife on there who had been driving for 17 years and it came down by £600 , she never drove the car but saved me loads

TinyPortal © 2005-2012