Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:33:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crystal Palace game  (Read 16188 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Crystal Palace game
« on February 13, 2019, 09:57:20 am by selby »
   A big test in front of a sell out crowd, and a large national TV audience, and against the ultimate test a Premiership team led by an ex England manager. Only playing a top six side away would be seen as a bigger test by the football media, most of whom will give us little chance of progressing, and really will not want us to do anyway, wanting the competition to revert to norm being the property of the top teams in the country in their eyes.
   Can we pass the test and progress? a big question,but after the way we destroyed Southend last night, in my mind not impossible if Crystal Palace take us lightly.
  They have big name players, international players who's names are known all over the world, and to be fair not a bad player on their books being a premiership team. If they play well they should win, But will they? even the best teams can only play as well as the opposition let them.
   If we play as well as last night, they will have to play well to beat us, Our  clever players in midfield all being on it together, and the rest of the team responding to their promptings.
   It is a chance for all our players to showcase their ability to a wide audience, in a game that nationally is the biggest in our clubs history. John, Ben, Herbie, and all the other players having a chance to advertise to the football world how good a player they are, and old man Coppinger show just how good a player he has been, overlooked by many big sides who would have benefited from his undoubted ability.
   Do you think like me we have a fighters chance?
   Will Palace play their strongest side ?
   Will Roy let his precious premiership players change in our changing rooms? apparently he didn't at Notts County some years back when taking Fulham, whose own facilities were worse than Notts Counties, and like Barnsley got changed on the bus.
   Who are the players you fear that you think can take us to the cleaners?
   If you are a Palace fan reading this, are you confident you will be too good for us?
   These and many more questions to be answered about this game, a game we the supporters of the Rovers can relax and enjoy, and where all the pressure is on the Palace to win. Please discuss and have your say.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:20:51 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the crystal Palace game
« Reply #1 on February 13, 2019, 10:15:21 am by NickDRFC »
- Do you think like me we have a fighters chance?
We have a chance, but we'd have to play very well and Palace not so much. Think the bookies have it about right with their odds.

- Will Palace play their strongest side ?
Absolutely no chance. I expect it will be a mix of first teamers and fringe players, with about half the first team rested.

- Will Roy let his precious premiership players change in our changing rooms?
Yes, why wouldn't he? We have excellent facilities

- Who are the players you fear that you think can take us to the cleaners?
Benteke has been a bit of a laughing stock for a while but he looks like he's starting to click into gear again and if he's up for it could be a menace. Our defenders won't be used to playing someone with his size, strength and pace, with no shortage of ability. Him and Batshuayi up front could be an absolute nightmare to play against

I disagree with you saying that the media really will not want us to win - the media love a cup upset.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 13, 2019, 10:20:22 am by RedJ »
I hope we go full shithouse on them and wet the floor and turn off the hot water etc.

Palace fan in Peace

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 13, 2019, 12:21:24 pm by Palace fan in Peace »
Certainly an interesting game with your current home form.
In answer to some of your questions. If we take you likely we will get beaten without a doubt. We are going to need to be on our game.

Our whole system works as a counter attacking team and we will look to soak up pressure and hit you on the break at speed. That works very well with Zaha, if he is missing, which appears likely we may not be as incisive as usual. We are better away from home because of that. We struggle at home to break teams down.

Roy studies the opposition at length and will have a plan, we don’t take anyone likely, however we have a few injuries, suspensions and cup tied players so I expect 5/6 changes from our 1st team but like all premier league team there is a lot of quality on the bench so a strong team is assured.

The bookies have us strong favorites but I see it much closer than that. First goal absolutely crucial. We score first then the counter attack is so much easier. You score first, the players and crowd will be up for it and we will struggle to break you down without Zaha.

It really is a great cup tie. Sold out game, atmosphere will be electric from both sets of fans (we are a noisy lot) as I am sure you will be. Looking forward to Sunday. Will update re likely team once news filters through re injuries and confirmation of suspensions.

What about you? Who are your star players? Players to watch? Weaknesses?

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crystal Palace game
« Reply #4 on February 13, 2019, 12:44:55 pm by selby »
PFIP, I think everyone of our fans would put up a loan player from Liverpool, Herbie Kane, as our stand out player who should have a great future in front of him. He has that great thing at any sport, a natural who makes football look easy.
   All the team have talent, but are playing at our level because they may have a certain weakness such as pace, size, injuries holding them back when younger, and of course,  certain past managers just not fancying them as much as someone else.
  What they are is a honest bunch who give their best, and have gelled and developed as the season has progressed.
   John Marquis is our talisman, no one on the field on Sunday will work harder for the cause, and he is one of those underestimated lower league forwards who have not a lot of smooth grace, don't look as fast as they really are, but are better footballers than they appear to be. You could well leave the ground hating him after the game on Sunday.
   Coppinger is a player who really has been a hero for so long here, a talent that countless supporters of other clubs in the lower leagues must have thought what the hell is he doing playing for them.
   Whiteman has improved this season more than I /we could have reasonably expected, and is looking destined for better things.
   All our players are worthy of respect, the sum of our parts being greater than the individuals, even if you are on your game it could end up a very competitive game, and we are used to making the running in games and teams trying to hit us on the break.
  It could be a classic cup tie for the fans at the game and the TV, lets hope so.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 13, 2019, 12:46:34 pm by RobTheRover »
We look to dominate the ball and look after it.  Our players are adept (for our level) at taking the ball in tight situations and comfortably using it to bring others into play.  I think the game is a good benchmark of where we are in that development process.  I've seen Palace on telly quite a few times this season and even when the results weren't particularly coming early in the season you looked a decent side, just out of luck at certain times.  If we can go toe to toe with you and hold our head high after the game I'll be happy.  I predict a close game with goals, and both teams to score.  2-1 either way feels about right.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 13, 2019, 12:48:19 pm by Prez »
Certainly an interesting game with your current home form.
In answer to some of your questions. If we take you likely we will get beaten without a doubt. We are going to need to be on our game.

Our whole system works as a counter attacking team and we will look to soak up pressure and hit you on the break at speed. That works very well with Zaha, if he is missing, which appears likely we may not be as incisive as usual. We are better away from home because of that. We struggle at home to break teams down.

Roy studies the opposition at length and will have a plan, we don’t take anyone likely, however we have a few injuries, suspensions and cup tied players so I expect 5/6 changes from our 1st team but like all premier league team there is a lot of quality on the bench so a strong team is assured.

The bookies have us strong favorites but I see it much closer than that. First goal absolutely crucial. We score first then the counter attack is so much easier. You score first, the players and crowd will be up for it and we will struggle to break you down without Zaha.

It really is a great cup tie. Sold out game, atmosphere will be electric from both sets of fans (we are a noisy lot) as I am sure you will be. Looking forward to Sunday. Will update re likely team once news filters through re injuries and confirmation of suspensions.

What about you? Who are your star players? Players to watch? Weaknesses?

Marquis is a big weakness for us.

I wouldnt bother marking him in truth hes rubbish.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 13, 2019, 12:56:04 pm by RedJ »
Or Coppinger. Shite. Same goes for Wilks and Kane.

Palace fan in Peace

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 13, 2019, 12:57:40 pm by Palace fan in Peace »
Rumour down our end that Marquis is an Orpington boy. Sarf London born and bred and a Palace fan. Not sure where that rumour was started. Anyone know his background?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 13, 2019, 01:03:58 pm by wing commander »
   As good as we think we are,a lot here will depend on what team Roy decides to go with..Palace are a bloody good side and if he feels he needs to play his first team then we are going to find it hard with long periods without the ball..
    If he feels that as they are only 3 points above the drop zone he cant risk some of them and plays a few squad players then we have a real chance...

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 13, 2019, 01:04:56 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
PFIP -Marquis was with Millwall for years but never really got a look in and was loaned out left, right and centre

ScrumpyCPFC

« Reply #11 on February 13, 2019, 01:08:06 pm by ScrumpyCPFC »
Palace fan here. First post, so please be gentle!

Personally I have a sneaky suspicion that this will go to extra time,  with us maybe snatching it at the death? Given how much of a test Grimsby were in the 3rd round (at home!) most sensible Palace fans will not be underestimating you guys.

What team will we start with? Well that is an interesting one. I’d like us to start a stronger team as possible. Given it’s a week until our next Premier League match.

So my formation is based on assuming that Tomkins, Kouyate, Wickham and Speroni are still injured (they all missed West Ham) and also assuming Zaha loses his appeal this week. Hennessey has until Friday to respond to his charge for “that photo” so would Saturday’s  game come too soon for his suspension?

Guaita

Wan-Bissaka – Kelly – Sakho -- Van-Aanholt

Townsend – Meyer – Milivojević -- Schlupp

Benteke -- Batshuayi (or Ayew if he is ineligible).

However, what ever line up we put out it will be a tight game and I am sure it will be a cracker!

Palace fan in Peace

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 13, 2019, 01:09:08 pm by Palace fan in Peace »
PFIP -Marquis was with Millwall for years but never really got a look in and was loaned out left, right and centre
Sounds like the rumours may be true then. Think someone said they were at school with him.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 13, 2019, 01:55:00 pm by VivaRovers »
Rumour down our end that Marquis is an Orpington boy. Sarf London born and bred and a Palace fan. Not sure where that rumour was started. Anyone know his background?

He's from Lewisham. I'm not 100 per cent sure where - and as a Rovers fan who lives in Lewisham I'm keen to know - but think he's much more likely to be Millwall than Palace.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 13, 2019, 03:51:11 pm by Donnywolf »
We look to dominate the ball and look after it.  Our players are adept (for our level) at taking the ball in tight situations and comfortably using it to bring others into play.  I think the game is a good benchmark of where we are in that development process.  I've seen Palace on telly quite a few times this season and even when the results weren't particularly coming early in the season you looked a decent side, just out of luck at certain times.  If we can go toe to toe with you and hold our head high after the game I'll be happy.  I predict a close game with goals, and both teams to score.  2-1 either way feels about right.

Very very good summation RTR - the sentiment is mine too

However I fancy 3-2 or 2-3 probably as ScrumpyCPFC suggests AET !

Im heading towards ROVCOM 1 if as I think 5 is continent and 1 is loose as a goose ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 13, 2019, 04:38:30 pm by selby »
  ScrumpyCPFC, that team looks kind of scary to us back wood northerners, there are some big time names in it.
  That is the attraction of the FA cup, teams like ours playing against household names we see on the TV every week, it is not the norm for us.
   Our pitch and facilities on the other hand are on a par with most, the setting of the ground better than most if the weather is good, and we welcome away supporters.
  There is not a bad view in the stadium, and the days of a bad playing surface against a lower division team is long gone.
   The one thing I think links the teams, from viewing the M.O.D. is both teams are prone to giving silly goals away, they both create and miss chances other teams put away, they both have a rick in them, and even you don't know what team will turn up week from week. it is part of the attraction of the game, both are unpredictable, although at different levels.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 13, 2019, 06:55:44 pm by NickDRFC »

He's from Lewisham. I'm not 100 per cent sure where - and as a Rovers fan who lives in Lewisham I'm keen to know - but think he's much more likely to be Millwall than Palace.

He went to the same school as a lad I used to work with (although a few years below) who is a big Palace fan. Not that that really clears anything up!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 13, 2019, 07:12:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looking at the game objectively of course Palace should win. I have a feeing though as the days and hours tick closer, I'll find it more difficult to be objective.

Come kick off it's XI v XI and all it takes is Palace to be 10% down on optimum performance and us to be 10% up and we have an even contest.

I'm sure fans from both sides can expect a very entertaining game played at pace and in good spirit.

Over the coming days, we'll see more press coverage to wet the appetite and the players can now start to fantasise about their FA Cup glory. It could easily turn into a bad dream for Palace.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:32:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 13, 2019, 07:26:04 pm by RedJ »
Alternatively we could get arseholed on the telly.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 13, 2019, 08:31:34 pm by RoversAlias »
I'd rather play their best team at this stage. I want a win and I think we can give anyone a game, but I'd be disappointed if Palace didn't respect us enough to play their best players, or at least enough of them where they are showing they want to win the competition.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 13, 2019, 08:35:54 pm by drfchound »
I have a feeling that Palace will rest about half of their regular starting eleven but will feel that the players they bring in will be strong enough to beat us.
They will have some “insurance” on the bench in case things don’t go the way they expected.

Palace fan in Peace

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 13, 2019, 09:06:37 pm by Palace fan in Peace »
I have a feeling that Palace will rest about half of their regular starting eleven but will feel that the players they bring in will be strong enough to beat us.
They will have some “insurance” on the bench in case things don’t go the way they expected.
To be honest there really isn't much difference between the '1st' eleven and bench players in most Premier League squads. Look at Man City, I never know who Pep thinks are his 1st eleven as he changes it all the time. Ask Palace fans whether Meyer should be in instead of McArthur and you will get different answers from each. We may play some bench players but they will largely be enforced. Zaha suspended, Tomkins and Kouyate both been injured so may not be risked. The only changes that would be seen as negative would be in defence where he has preferred Ward, Kelly and Dann over Wan-Bisaka (what a prospect he is , really hope he plays) Tomkins and Sakho. Whatever team we put out will be very competitive.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 13, 2019, 09:08:54 pm by NickDRFC »
I'd rather play their best team at this stage. I want a win and I think we can give anyone a game, but I'd be disappointed if Palace didn't respect us enough to play their best players, or at least enough of them where they are showing they want to win the competition.

Completely disagree, I want us to win. If they play their first team we have say a 10-20% chance of winning, but for every first team regular they rest that increases a few per cent.

Them resting half the first team doesn’t mean disrespect, as Hound says above they will expect to progress with the team they put out. If we were playing in the cup at, say, Solihull Moors and May, Rowe, Butler, Sadlier and Lawlor came in would you say we aren’t showing them enough respect?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 13, 2019, 09:09:40 pm by drfchound »
To be honest there really isn't much difference between the '1st' eleven and bench players in most Premier League squads. Look at Man City, I never know who Pep thinks are his 1st eleven as he changes it all the time. Ask Palace fans whether Meyer should be in instead of McArthur and you will get different answers from each. We may play some bench players but they will largely be enforced. Zaha suspended, Tomkins and Kouyate both been injured so may not be risked. The only changes that would be seen as negative would be in defence where he has preferred Ward, Kelly and Dann over Wan-Bisaka (what a prospect he is , really hope he plays) Tomkins and Sakho. Whatever team we put out will be very competitive.

That last sentence......I don’t doubt that for one minute.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 13, 2019, 10:30:15 pm by RoversAlias »

Completely disagree, I want us to win. If they play their first team we have say a 10-20% chance of winning, but for every first team regular they rest that increases a few per cent.

Them resting half the first team doesn’t mean disrespect, as Hound says above they will expect to progress with the team they put out. If we were playing in the cup at, say, Solihull Moors and May, Rowe, Butler, Sadlier and Lawlor came in would you say we aren’t showing them enough respect?

I don't want anybody afterwards saying that "we only beat the Palace second string" though. I believe us capable of beating them even if Zaha, Townsend and Batshuayi are playing and on song.

We played a full strength side away at Chorley and only got a replay because Herbie Kane is magic. Anything is possible come Sunday.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 13, 2019, 11:05:42 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Reading this is getting me excited.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 14, 2019, 12:48:01 am by hoolahoop »
Really good analyses from both sets of supporters though I think momentum here is the key I.e. which of the 2 teams are carving out the most chances and regardless of possession are regularly ' on target ' and hitting the back of the onion net consistently . I would argue that on current form that is Rovers.

The team for once doesn't worry me if they go down a goal , I and of course they now believe it's only a temporary setback and simply redouble their efforts to get a foothold in the game.
Result 2-1 Rovers and I very much doubt it would ever approach the sort of predicted wins that i see on the Palace forum of 3/4-0

Of course I might be entirely wrong in my analysis and it could be one of those nightmares that sends the home supporters scurrying early for the exits to drown their sorows muttering " bloody Rovers " RTWD EH ?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 14, 2019, 06:57:31 am by phil old leake »
I was quite fearful until Tuesday.  I can imagine that all the premiership teams will play strong teams    They all have a realistic chance of Wembley this year. 
After Tuesday I genuinely feel that we won’t be embarrassed and can give them a game

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 14, 2019, 07:55:34 am by Alan Southstand »
I was reading something on twitter only yesterday and havn't checked the info yet, but it said Palace have yet to concede in the FA Cup this season. Of course, they havn't played us yet, but nevertheless, that is a worrying stat.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 14, 2019, 08:02:47 am by IDM »
Not really worrying as they have only played 2 FA Cup games and one of those was a 1-0 win over Grimsby.. and 2-0 vs Spurs..

We have scored 16 in 5 games..

Wonder if Palace think that is worrying.??

TinyPortal © 2005-2012