Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:22:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Scunthorpe United game  (Read 4489 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Scunthorpe United game
« on February 18, 2019, 08:12:39 am by selby »
  After our cup games came to a halt, with all the media and fan hype, we are back to the bread and butter of a league game that is just as, and probably more important to the clubs future than the cup game.
  The next two games can cement our advantage on Peterborough and close a gap on faltering sides above us, or we can drop back into a scramble for a playoff position.
  Scunthorpe is not the easiest place to go under these circumstances, they will be looking for revenge after being well beaten at the Keepmoat  by one of our best displays this season, and since then have changed their squad and strengthened it, and until the Gillingham game last week had been having quite an upturn in form, being seventh to our third in the form table after the last six games.
  Our strike force will be improved immeasurably with the inclusion of Wilks and Smith, and if we play the football we played yesterday we will have a good chance of getting the win we desire.
  Scunthorpe will make it as difficult as they can, will try and break our game up, and make it a game of attrition, on what always looks a tight narrow pitch on which in the past they have seems to me tried to get the ball into and across the area early for usually big strong forwards to attack.
   Can we put our disappointment yesterday behind us and get the win we require?
   Will our players need lifting after playing so well and losing?
    Apart from Wilks coming back in, would you make any other changes?
    Were you a new or returning fan who will go to the game after attending yesterday?
    Are you making the short trip to this away game?
  These and many other points to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Scunthorpe United game
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2019, 08:23:35 am by Donnywolf »
I am hoping GM took off AC and JC yesterday (thinking the game had gone) with a view to saving them for SUFC - and left AM to run around knowing he would be on the Bench. I dont know but that is how I hoped it worked

Wilks was missed yesterday and should be straight back on Team Sheet - and I would probably say he will bring that something back in.

I will be there (probably behind a Girder bobbing left and right) and though they have had a run we surely should have enough to see them off

Strange about the Pitch (or Table Tennis Table as I call it) as I always slag it for its size but the resourse I just looked at had it at 112 x 72 and yet has Keepmoat at 105 x 68. I was sure it would be much smaller than ours

No matter I reckon Wilks in - play Football when allowed - and win away

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2019, 08:31:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm going. Working in Scunthorpe we've already been discussing it in the office this morning.  They aren't confident after a poor result at the weekend..but they do have some good players so we have to be careful.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2019, 09:57:38 am by drfchound »
I am going too.
Looking forward to it and hoping for us to get another three points in the bag.

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2019, 10:30:55 am by DRFCFAN12 »
500 tickets left for scunny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2019, 11:10:57 am by DRFCFAN12 »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2019, 11:31:47 am by pib »
Was the 1700 allocation the full stand behind the goal? I'd expect us to at least fill that bit even if we don't take the extra bit down the side.

Edit - just looked it up and the answer was easier to find than I expected. It is the full stand behind the goal.

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2019, 11:33:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Was the 1700 allocation the full stand behind the goal? I'd expect us to at least fill that bit even if we don't take the extra bit down the side.

Edit - just looked it up and the answer was easier to find than I expected. It is the full stand behind the goal.

Yes it was would hope we can get some extra and sell them.

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2019, 12:21:56 pm by DRFCFAN12 »
Only 300 left now and 1 week 5 days left. Most likely we will get the side bit as well

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2019, 12:23:39 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Only 300 left now and 1 week 5 days left. Most likely we will get the side bit as well

I can't see us playing Scunny and Charlton on the same day fella

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2019, 12:48:05 pm by DRFCFAN12 »
Meant just 5 days

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2019, 02:45:23 pm by donnievic »

think we got 1600 didn’t and not sure but doesn’t it hold 1200 behind goal

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2019, 03:27:55 pm by Campsall rover »
No it will be at least 1700 behind the goal because we had 2,200 with the side bit allocated in the past.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2019, 04:28:06 pm by Donnywolf »

think we got 1600 didn’t and not sure but doesn’t it hold 1200 behind goal

Our allocation (Source - DROS Away Tickets) was 1678 and they are behind the Goal - The Scunny SOW Scunny official Website shows 2 and a bit Blocks in grey and not for sale - so I assume they will be ours for the asking !

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2019, 04:43:51 pm by DRFCFAN12 »
Nice, only 100 left from behind the goal and then we can ask for more.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2019, 05:37:27 pm by selby »
  From what I have seen of the lad, I would expect Smith to play more of a role in the remaining games to the end of the season as far as coming on to change a game is concerned.
   He has looked very sharp, direct and with an eye for goal and just the type of striker to complement Marquis and Wilks. Every time he has come on he has caused defenders problems with his pace off the mark, and could prove quite an asset in future games.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2019, 08:35:56 am by selby »
  Just a little off the direct subject  but I think important.
    We have played two premiership teams this season Crystal Palace and Newcastle, and in both instances their has been a similarity.
   Both teams have well known international managers, and of course both teams have good players, the Newcastle team obviously young and inexperienced.
  But they are also the only two teams I have watched warm up that did  full defensive set up sets before the game. In each instance the defences were set up against the substitutes and went through their build up, moving up and down the field, how they move up and down and keep their shape. And in both games they set up the same defensively in the game, kept the same rigid shape and in both games kept us at arms length.
   Definitely something I think we could learn from.

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2019, 09:54:01 am by DRFCFAN12 »
We’ve been allocated the extra 500 from the side

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2019, 10:45:58 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
 :rtid:

Should hopefully sell them and get behind the tea well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2019, 01:11:32 pm by selby »
  Yorkshire tea I hope

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2019, 01:59:30 pm by bobbymax »
Just realised McGahey now plays for Scunny - I'll bet he's looking forward to coming up against Wilks again!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2019, 02:49:48 pm by selby »
I was wondering when this would come up, being an admirer of the way he and Cannon played against us and in the cup against Spurs last season.
  He had not played for quite a while before our game this season, had a couple of juniors along side him, and was transferred very shortly after, which made me wonder if he knew he was going, and whether he was that bothered.
 I expect more from him this weekend, but hope not, and by the way if Fergie had stayed he was one on the radar to come here. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2019, 04:46:51 pm by drfchound »
I was wondering when this would come up, being an admirer of the way he and Cannon played against us and in the cup against Spurs last season.
  He had not played for quite a while before our game this season, had a couple of juniors along side him, and was transferred very shortly after, which made me wonder if he knew he was going, and whether he was that bothered.
 I expect more from him this weekend, but hope not, and by the way if Fergie had stayed he was one on the radar to come here.

Come on mate, Wilks ran him ragged and his professional pride should have made sure he wasn’t made to look as poor as he did.
He would have been trying allright.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:24:02 pm by drfchound »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2019, 05:10:03 pm by selby »
  Yes he did Hound, I am expecting it being harder next Saturday although I hope it isn't. I would love him to be run ragged again.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2019, 11:44:52 am by selby »
  Apparently McCall changes the side's make up constantly to try and negate the side's they are playing strengths, not a bad thing to do if you have the squad to do so.
  Looking at the Scunny forum not all their supporters are comfortable with this, and would like him to stick with a formation and stop constantly making changes to the line up, some wanting them to go 442 against us, others wanting three at the back to play another in midfielder.
  Unlike past Scunthorpe teams, scoring goals consistently seems to be a problem, for once not finding a  player that seems to come from nowhere to bang goals in every week, let's hope that that continues for another week at least.
  It looks like we will have a large away following, and with Smith and Wilks available again giving us much more fire power in front of goal I am looking forward to a good game and hopefully a good win, although expecting the game to be quite feisty.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2019, 12:00:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »
If it is feisty I would say it is critical for us that Kane and Whiteman don't both get booked and then both be suspended for the same 2 matches.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2019, 12:36:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Must win really to bounce back and show we've got the FA Cup out of the system and send a message to our play off/promotion rivals we're coming for them.

Hopefully Wilks fully rested and chomping at the bit. I would keep Blair in as he had another great game v Palace.

Crawford deserves his place after the Palace game and I think I'd be tempted to play Sadlier up front with Marquis & Wilks. I think he's shown enough intent in recent games to warrant a start.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2019, 12:41:49 pm by IDM »
Scoring at least one more goal than them will do for me.!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 20, 2019, 03:45:55 pm by selby »
DBR, I cannot believe that people would start anybody in front of Coppinger in a game. Even against premiership players he was the one that made room for himself when he had the ball. at least three people who support other teams have said how well he played last week to me, and when him and Crawford went off we lost control and momentum.
   And apart from Blair himself saying he does not like playing right back, Crystal Palace attacked down our right hand side for the first 20 minutes last week, because other teams look on him as a weakness defensively,both their goals coming from players getting away from markers in the right hand side of the penalty area. Yes you can argue it was not his fault, but they found space in that area.
   I could see the reason of Lewis's size being a problem with the diagonal pass to tall players last week causing the thinking of leaving him out. but his all round game defending and positional play is better in that position than Blair, my opinion of course others will disagree.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 20, 2019, 04:13:15 pm by the vicar »
Must win really to bounce back and show we've got the FA Cup out of the system and send a message to our play off/promotion rivals we're coming for them.

Hopefully Wilks fully rested and chomping at the bit. I would keep Blair in as he had another great game v Palace.

Crawford deserves his place after the Palace game and I think I'd be tempted to play Sadlier up front with Marquis & Wilks. I think he's shown enough intent in recent games to warrant a start.
why does most people keep disguarding Copp's, he shows time after time how good he is but they still seem to want them to leave him out. We will all be the worst when he goes

TinyPortal © 2005-2012