Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:03:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billed as The Most Dramatic Football Match of ALL TIME  (Read 3346 times)

deebee

• Forum Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
Re: Billed as The Most Dramatic Football Match of ALL TIME
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2019, 03:03:49 pm by LincsRover »
As rovers fans we knew that already! My ecg still hasn’t recovered from that day and I still have palpitations when I hear the name Trotta! Can’t watch only fools & horses any more!!! Aside from the birth of my children and my second wedding day (1st was a disaster!) it was and still is one of the best days of my life! 🤪🤪🤪

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2019, 04:44:46 pm by drfchound »
I thought that could never happen again but I think I am right in saying that the following week, one of the play off semi finals ended in the same fashion.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2019, 04:48:12 pm by IDM »
Similar but not quite the same I think, involved Watford.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2019, 04:50:12 pm by drfchound »
Similar but not quite the same I think, involved Watford.?

Yeah, I was thinking it was Watford too.
Wasn’t it also a missed pen, followed by a breakaway goal right at the end though.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2019, 05:12:55 pm by LincsRover »
Watford v Leicester I believe, championship play off final

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2019, 05:20:59 pm by IDM »
No it was the semi final..

That’s why it wasn’t quite the same as our game, as it didn’t result in a promotion.?

Wasn’t it the same referee.?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2019, 05:29:05 pm by RoversAlias »
It wasn't as good as ours, no bias here. The stakes were not the same due to the fact it was a semi-final, and the scoreline at the time wasn't as "50/50 flip" as ours. Interestingly though, it was the same referee - Michael Oliver.

Watford lost the final to Crystal Palace anyway. Ours was better, end of story  :P

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2019, 06:25:59 pm by WheatleyRover »
Not to mention we ended up as Champions at the end of it

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2019, 06:26:45 pm by LincsRover »
No it was the semi final..

That’s why it wasn’t quite the same as our game, as it didn’t result in a promotion.?

Wasn’t it the same referee.?

Ahh yes, of course, definitely not as dramatic then - a mere semi final??!!

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2019, 06:28:51 pm by LincsRover »
I still have the t-shirt - “play offs to champions in 18 seconds!”. I reckon Spielberg should get involved, I’d definitely go to see that blockbuster again!! 🏆🏆🏆

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2019, 07:11:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
unfortunately Man City winning the PL title instead of Man Utd with the last kick of the game would probably win in a vote :chair:

besty

• Forum Member

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2019, 09:26:59 pm by Jimmydee »
Herbie Kane's tap in versus Southend last week reminded me of the Brentford goal.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 20, 2019, 06:32:49 am by PDX_Rover »
I can’t believe what I’ve just witnessed Jeff...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 20, 2019, 08:54:38 am by wing commander »
   I've watched Rovers for over 40 years and boy have there been some poor matches,i can remember standing with about 30 fans after a 9 hour trip to Torquay on a Tuesday night,in the lashing rain to get beat 2-0 and never have a shot,then straight off the bus and off to work..That questions your sanity..And that's without the re-election and Richardson/Weaver era..

However that day at Brentford when I was lucky enough to be there and be a part of that atmosphere from despair to elation simply cant be beat,although the JPT win,play off win and even beating Farnborough in that non league cup were special days too...Makes it all worthwhile

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 20, 2019, 09:41:18 am by jm291 »
Still my favourite video of that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_kTrrmdVvk

:rtid:

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 20, 2019, 10:00:58 am by ridgewoodrover »
Started supporting the Rovers when Stan Anderson was the manager, can honestly say that’s been the best experience I’ve had watching the Rovers. Even though the game upto then was pretty dull  :rtid:

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 20, 2019, 10:26:22 am by DearneValleyRover »
unfortunately Man City winning the PL title instead of Man Utd with the last kick of the game would probably win in a vote :chair:
It's 4th most dramatic in the sky sports top 5, the Watford one is second and Citeh is first.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 20, 2019, 10:52:09 am by RoversAlias »
   I've watched Rovers for over 40 years and boy have there been some poor matches,i can remember standing with about 30 fans after a 9 hour trip to Torquay on a Tuesday night,in the lashing rain to get beat 2-0 and never have a shot,then straight off the bus and off to work..That questions your sanity..And that's without the re-election and Richardson/Weaver era..

However that day at Brentford when I was lucky enough to be there and be a part of that atmosphere from despair to elation simply cant be beat,although the JPT win,play off win and even beating Farnborough in that non league cup were special days too...Makes it all worthwhile

Well said, WC! It's the loss that make the highs even better. Sad as it may sound, not sure anything I've experienced in my (relatively short) life to date matches that crazy few minutes at Griffin Park. I still have my train ticket from the day in my wallet.

DVR - That list must have been compiled by someone who thinks it being a bigger pair of teams means it was more dramatic, which of course is wrong. The City one I'll give them, that was utterly bonkers, but the Watford one isn't a patch on ours. It was just to win a semi-final, Watford lost the final and if Leicester had missed the penalty but not conceded at the other end, they would still have been level on aggregate. When Brentford hit the bar, they were done. We then won a league title at the other end, all Watford did was put themselves in position to lose to Palace at Wembley.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 20, 2019, 11:16:08 am by DearneValleyRover »

Well said, WC! It's the loss that make the highs even better. Sad as it may sound, not sure anything I've experienced in my (relatively short) life to date matches that crazy few minutes at Griffin Park. I still have my train ticket from the day in my wallet.

DVR - That list must have been compiled by someone who thinks it being a bigger pair of teams means it was more dramatic, which of course is wrong. The City one I'll give them, that was utterly bonkers, but the Watford one isn't a patch on ours. It was just to win a semi-final, Watford lost the final and if Leicester had missed the penalty but not conceded at the other end, they would still have been level on aggregate. When Brentford hit the bar, they were done. We then won a league title at the other end, all Watford did was put themselves in position to lose to Palace at Wembley.

No arguement from me RA, it's the soccer saturday top 5 so yes the big teams first always.

Markem

« Reply #21 on February 20, 2019, 12:41:23 pm by Markem »
Herbie Kane's tap in versus Southend last week reminded me of the Brentford goal.

Agree, was like he couldn't get it under control and just let it go in off of his shin

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 21, 2019, 07:27:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Agree, was like he couldn't get it under control and just let it go in off of his shin

Yes, but he's class with his shins!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012