Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:01:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Onwards And Upwards  (Read 2122 times)

Donnybob

• Forum Member
Onwards And Upwards
« on February 20, 2019, 08:25:50 pm by Donnybob »
Long post alert!

I’ve not really commented on Sunday so far. Preferred to let the emotional outbursts subside. Now’s the time to put a bit of perspective on the day and then put it to bed. Let it go. Saturday is far more important in terms of our future.

Off the field we, as a club, were superb. The tricky issue of ticket sales was handled well. The fan park and entertainment, again, well organised. The flag – brilliant. Put away far too early for me, presumably to make way for the TIFO. Not being critical, but that worked better on TV than in the ground.

The aerial shots of the stadium were magnificent. Hat’s off to the Beeb for that. Indeed, I suspect the modern-ness (is that a word?) of the facilities threw Lineker and co to the point they forgot we were actually a ‘plucky underdog’ League One club facing up to a Premiership squad worth upwards of 200 times what ours cost to assemble. Indeed the dissection of us by Gary's gang was utterly patronising or incredibly complimentary depending on which way you spin it. I suspect they were judging us as a decent Championship or struggling Prem side having an off day, therefore expecting much more from us.

As for the match things could not have gone better for Palace. For them to score a deflected goal on their first attack was a crushing blow but the second sucked every bit of atmosphere out of the stadium.

I loved the enterprising and attractive way we played. That took courage. Palace were never going to do anything else except sit back and pick us off on the break. That’s almost a role reversal in cup ties where the lower league club looks to set up with 2 banks of 5 and then lump it up forwards towards the lone striker.

It would not be unreasonable to suggest Palace were actually a boring side. Can you think of any period of play when they excited you with their skill or sheer superiority? I can’t. They were dull, methodical, organised, professional. We simply tried too hard at times and after the first half had a mountain to climb.

On the positive side we made a great deal of money!

No-one was injured. One booking for a professional foul. I’m sure the players gained a lot of confidence from the experience.

It was a pleasure to see such good officiating. Letting things flow. Didn’t take centre stage. What a change!

Oh, and we did make an impression on ‘Woy'. He was very complementary and who knows, he might well have seen an opportunity for potential future loan spells.

And the Palace fans were jealous of our ground!!!
We could have been hammered, a la Rotherham or Burton. We weren’t. We showed we had skill and kept up the pressing game for the whole game. A testament to our fantastic fitness and determination.

And so to the negatives. ‘Fan’s criticising the occasional supporters who actually filled the stadium. What is that about? It shows we do have the potential to grow and progress. Engage and encourage. Don’t criticise! We need them as much as we need you.

As for the criticism of individual performances. Really? What do you expect? We are a League One club with a squad that clearly cares, that gives 100 per cent and it is all we can realistically hope for at this time in history. Its a team that is making those fans who said we'd appointed the wrong manager and recruited players poorly look pretty damn stupid.

So, on to our future, to Scunthorpe and beyond. History is there to be made if we can grasp it with both hands. I for one am feeling pretty proud. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: Onwards And Upwards
« Reply #1 on February 20, 2019, 08:30:20 pm by Superspy »
Absolutely love that post, best thing I've read on here in ages.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 20, 2019, 08:37:39 pm by drfchound »
I will second that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 20, 2019, 08:55:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Great Post Donny Bob. Summed up my feelings exactly. I distinctly got the impression Murphy and Co thought we were a Championship club, as they were disappointed we didn't cause too much of a threat! All saying what a good run and strike from Shclupp for the first, saying it was a little deflection. It was an outrageous deflection that was extremely lucky!!

Well, I'll give them this. We are a Championship club in the making and based on the squad, the manager, the management and infrastructure, it would be a real shame if we didn't achieve that goal.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 20, 2019, 10:01:05 pm by ian1980 »
Early contender for ‘post of the year’

A very accurate and honest assessment.

Well done 👍👍

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2019, 10:06:51 pm by ridgewoodrover »
Good post pal , I am actually starting to get my Rovers buzz back . After a few years of watching the rovers seemingly drifting along , I’m now getting giddy again , if we can turn a performance like last Sunday until May we ain’t going to lose many.

DRFCMach2man

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 21, 2019, 06:50:55 am by DRFCMach2man »
Great read Donnybob - well done and I feel majority of the forum will have empathy with all you have said. Scunny on Saturday so a good performance and 3 points will do us nicely😀 :rtid:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 21, 2019, 08:49:32 am by roversdude »
Bob great post

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 21, 2019, 11:33:15 am by acacia94 »
Lots of well reasoned good stuff there Bob. I got a bit shirty as well on the BBC's comments. Think Mills said he'd been very disappointed with Doncaster and Lineker put in a couple of jibes and just looked like he wanted to get back on the motorway with his driver and get home. What were they expecting from a side 37 places below their opponents in the pecking order?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 21, 2019, 12:59:01 pm by adamtherover »
Great Post Donny Bob. Summed up my feelings exactly. I distinctly got the impression Murphy and Co thought we were a Championship club, as they were disappointed we didn't cause too much of a threat! All saying what a good run and strike from Shclupp for the first, saying it was a little deflection. It was an outrageous deflection that was extremely lucky!!

Well, I'll give them this. We are a Championship club in the making and based on the squad, the manager, the management and infrastructure, it would be a real shame if we didn't achieve that goal.
  from a combination of 2 angles, i think it actually took two deflections,   the 2nd however steered it in, as oppose to going out for a corner.. So technically it was an OG.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 21, 2019, 05:56:53 pm by drfchound »

from a combination of 2 angles, i think it actually took two deflections,   the 2nd however steered it in, as oppose to going out for a corner.. So technically it was an OG.

Only if the original shot was off target.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 21, 2019, 06:23:43 pm by sha66y »
Great post and a pleasure to read....
However just one small point to add, ....
Lineker and the p**s poor pundits are a measly tight lipped bunch of arrogant tw**s, who have lost sight of real grass roots football in the lower leagues,
And the ability to employ any semblance of impartiality or knowledgable insights .....

I hope they choke on the bills they are being fed in vast amounts....scum!

Phewwwww glad I got that out....👊🏽

TinyPortal © 2005-2012