Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:59:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should we leave Marquis on the halfway line  (Read 2659 times)

deebee

• Forum Member
Should we leave Marquis on the halfway line
« on March 03, 2019, 03:39:00 pm by deebee »
Do you think we should leave Marquis on the halfway line when we are defending corners or set pieces in our own box? Tends not to help being in there and the opposition would have to leave at least two players with him leaving us a spare man in the box. If this had been done yesterday he would not have scored the own goal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:29:17 pm by Forum Admin »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #1 on March 03, 2019, 03:49:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I agree we should leave one if not 2 players on the half way line imo.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 03, 2019, 04:41:20 pm by phil o sophical »
Do you think we should leave Marquis on the halfway line when we are defending corners or set pieces in our own box? Tends not to help being in there and the opposition would have to leave at least two players with him leaving us a spare man in the box. If this had been done yesterday he would not have scored the own goal.

Yes please , every time. Not just because in my humble opinion defending corners is not his strong point but he's quick, he'll chase down defenders and hopefully stop the ball coming straight back. Also i think a congested penalty area causes more problems for the defending team

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 03, 2019, 06:13:51 pm by ss1953 »
Totally agree.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I’ve noticed that Marquis has been involved in a fair number of goals conceded. Mostly from video evidence, to be fair.

We don’t seem to keep anyone up defending opposition corners very often, putting even more pressure on our defence.

If JM was up at the halfway line it would keep 2 of their defenders occupied.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 03, 2019, 06:16:13 pm by sha66y »

Yes...but it’s not down to us, it’s the Managers call, and for some reason we didn’t not seem to be doing what seems logical

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 03, 2019, 06:31:56 pm by Draytonian III »
I’ve always thought we should leave at least two players upfield when we are defending corners ( I’ve posted this before) maybe the two quickest in the team ,Matty Blair and Alfie May ? These players would have to be marked by 3 defenders and with a player taking the corner and an opposition goalkeeper that would leave 8 defenders and a goalkeeper against 6 attackers so you could have men on either post. Also 3 attackers on the halfway line would mean 4 defenders stopping back

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 03, 2019, 07:19:15 pm by Branton Rover »
So what you’re saying is Leave Marquis at 6ft 1 inch On the halfway line & Alfie May at 5ft whatever in the pen box - utterly ridiculous. Own goals happen in football try to get over it

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 03, 2019, 07:23:20 pm by since-1969 »
Sponsor’s Man of Match ? TTPs

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 03, 2019, 07:36:39 pm by steve@dcfd »
Marquis is there because he’s 6ft 1 inch along with Downing, Butler and Whiteman. The rest are small Lewis, Crawford, Kane, May, Coppinger the list goes on. So to put Marquis on the halfway line we should have signed taller players in the summer.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 03, 2019, 08:04:51 pm by gillinghamrover »
Deffo, at least one player up, it also takes at least two of their players out the corner as well to mark said attacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 03, 2019, 08:12:23 pm by Donnybob »
I made this point several weeks ago. It's a huge weakness. Marquis is not a natural defender, his strengths lie in the attacking half of the field. Same goes for Wilkes and May.

To be fair it's all a matter of confidence and resolve. We have an abundance of pace at our disposal. If we must bring Marquis back then leave May and Wilkes on the halfway line. Any team at our level is then presented with a massive problem.

Logic suggests a minimum of 3 players would be kept back to cover them, probably four because any hoofed clearance down the middle becomes a 50:50 risk with defenders facing their own goal.

It is not rocket science.

With the resulting lack of traffic and confusion in the box our remaining 8 outfield players plus a keeper should be able to boss the area far more efficiently.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 03, 2019, 08:12:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I suspect the manager logic is that the fewer bodies in the box of any side leaves bigger gaps for a strike on goal.  I'd like to see at least one (got to be Blair if he's on) left upfield.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 03, 2019, 08:22:13 pm by drfchound »
Sponsor’s Man of Match ? TTPs

Clearly they recognise a good player.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 04, 2019, 10:36:11 am by goalkick »
Should def leave somone up front.if there is only their player at halfway the ball will keep getting put back into the area.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 04, 2019, 10:46:33 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm guessing the idea is that the more bodies there are in the box, the less space there is for someone to get a clean shot on target. More chance of a leg or a head or a chest blocking the ball.

I'd like to think in this day and age that it's more than guesswork though. I'd assume that clubs look at the stats and see what the trends are for conceding with and without a player left upfield.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 04, 2019, 10:52:17 am by RedJ »
Thing is, having absolutely everyone in or around the box, that then leaves absolutely no outball other than hoik the thing forward and hope to Christ Wilks can beat the opposition to it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 04, 2019, 10:54:34 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Since we changed it we conceded less on set pieces, not sure on the stats but it feels right.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 04, 2019, 12:24:22 pm by Move DRFC »
Since we changed it we conceded less on set pieces, not sure on the stats but it feels right.

I suppose defending the corner has to take priority and of having everyone back is working then I suppose we'll have to stick with it. Would be nice to have someone up though.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 04, 2019, 12:43:16 pm by adamtherover »
I made this point several weeks ago. It's a huge weakness. Marquis is not a natural defender, his strengths lie in the attacking half of the field. Same goes for Wilkes and May.

To be fair it's all a matter of confidence and resolve. We have an abundance of pace at our disposal. If we must bring Marquis back then leave May and Wilkes on the halfway line. Any team at our level is then presented with a massive problem.

Logic suggests a minimum of 3 players would be kept back to cover them, probably four because any hoofed clearance down the middle becomes a 50:50 risk with defenders facing their own goal.

It is not rocket science.

With the resulting lack of traffic and confusion in the box our remaining 8 outfield players plus a keeper should be able to boss the area far more efficiently.
ive said this on another thread somewhere,  but leave 4 or 5 players on the half way line...   the opposition guaranteed will leave 5 or 6,  1 more than we have...   so taking into account the corner taker, plus the one less they have in the box, plus our keeper. We will have 3 more players in a vastly less crowded penno area.   Threat nullified surely!!  With no bodies in the way, the keeper should claim most crosses?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 04, 2019, 12:51:31 pm by Draytonian III »
Just like I posted yesterday

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 04, 2019, 01:23:24 pm by NickDRFC »
Guys no disrespect but the greatest minds in world football don’t do this and will undoubtedly have a great deal of statistical data to back it up. What happens if they leave 5 or 6 on the edge of the half and suddenly 3 of them charge towards the area before the corner is taken?

I would leave Alfie May up or AN Other - personally don’t see the need for all 10 back in the box - but there’s a reason that no football club in the world employs the tactic that you’ve suggested.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 04, 2019, 01:45:42 pm by RedJ »
Cos they're not as smart as us, der.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 04, 2019, 01:48:00 pm by IDM »
Apart from defending a lead in added on time, we should leave at least one pacy or ball-holding player up for a corner.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
Re: Should we leave Marquis on the halfway line
« Reply #23 on March 05, 2019, 04:15:13 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Who did we play last season who left 3 players up. One on either wing, plus one in the middle, all on the halfway line. We were discussing it the other night, saying we only had 4 players in the box against 6 defenders. Their keeper came out to catch everything and threw it straight out to put them on the attack. 

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: Should we leave Marquis on the halfway line
« Reply #24 on March 05, 2019, 04:40:50 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The statistical point being made makes perfectly good sense but given that keeping everybody back is the correct strategic approach then surely knocking the ball out into touch as far up the field as possible with certainty would be the logical out-ball, not simply lumping it up the middle and submit to continued pressure.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012