Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:28:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: let's talk about the Barnsley game  (Read 8622 times)

selby

• VSC Member
let's talk about the Barnsley game
« on March 13, 2019, 09:59:39 am by selby »
  For most of both set's of fans the game of the season, and against a good side, who play fast attacking football.
  In the game earlier in the season it was nip and tuck both sides going for the win, us giving probably our best footballing display in an away game this season, and could have taken all three points with a bit of luck.
  A display like that looks as if it will be needed again to get anything out of this game, as Barnsley have pushed on to become one of the three teams to be the favourites for automatic promotion,which I hope they eventually  achieve, although I hope we make it harder for them by taking the points on Friday.
  In our game game at Blackpool we gave a display in very poor conditions that gives us hope that we are regaining some form again, playing periods of football
that the conditions were very much against notably when Kane and Coppinger came on in the closing stages, and with Marquis available again we should pose more of a threat in attacking areas.
   So lot's to discuss, I am sure the management teams of both clubs will be very aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, and a good atmosphere in the ground.
   What changes to the starting line up would you make if any?
   Can we get a much needed three points from the
game?
   Which Barnsley players do you think pose a threat?
    What sort of crowd and atmosphere are you expecting? will our numbers be bigger than Usual?
    What tactics do you expect Barnsley to take?
  Hopefully a great game to look forward to, and we come out the right side of the result, and both teams put on a good display for the TV.
   Please have your say, and that includes any Barnsley fans who read this board, you are most welcome to have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
Re: let's talk about the Barnsley game
« Reply #1 on March 13, 2019, 10:04:40 am by Boomstick »
To be fair, they are flying and will probs win the league.
We are doing a bit shit, so I think a draw would be decent

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 13, 2019, 12:52:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
Probably says more about me than them, but looking at their squad I don’t recognise any of them bar Moore (injured) and the Donny lad Mowatt.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 13, 2019, 06:00:39 pm by tyke1962 »
Tough game last night in demanding conditions , we have definitely got to be concerned about our energy levels going in to a derby game 3 days later .

Our game is based on high energy , intensity , pressing and counter attacking so if recent games are still in our legs then it's a worry .

That said we've had a number of issues to resolve this season and Stendel has always found a way , this group are tough , resilient , together and extremely hungry to get promoted automatically .

If we can get our noses in front then it will be a difficult night for Rovers , defensively we are rock solid and can then play on the counter more effectively .

However if Rovers can get themselves in front and play as well as they did at Oakwell in November then the games in our legs may start to take effect .

The first goal is huge on friday evening and the key to the whole contest in my opinion .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 13, 2019, 06:17:38 pm by selby »
  I can't argue with that Tyke, although I doubt the conditions were any worse, and certainly the playing area would have been better at Oakwell than Blackpool last night, so I don't think any side will be able to claim an advantage on the fitness front on Friday.
  I would expect us to have a couple of changes up front from last night, Marquis will definitely start in my team as would Coppinger, who seems to save his best for you anyway.
  There is not a lot between the two sides probably you are more consistent, but at our best we take some stopping, and really we have probably saved our best games for the better sides.
  Either way I am looking forward to the game, and although I am expecting a close game I am confident we can come out on top.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 13, 2019, 07:03:06 pm by tyke1962 »
  I can't argue with that Tyke, although I doubt the conditions were any worse, and certainly the playing area would have been better at Oakwell than Blackpool last night, so I don't think any side will be able to claim an advantage on the fitness front on Friday.
  I would expect us to have a couple of changes up front from last night, Marquis will definitely start in my team as would Coppinger, who seems to save his best for you anyway.
  There is not a lot between the two sides probably you are more consistent, but at our best we take some stopping, and really we have probably saved our best games for the better sides.
  Either way I am looking forward to the game, and although I am expecting a close game I am confident we can come out on top.

I'm expecting a couple of changes from our last two games myself Selby .

I think Ryan Hedges will come in to the wide area , alternating with Thiam through out the game and Callum Styles getting his full debut in midfield , young Ben Williams may come in at left back for Danni Pinillos , good prospect this lad and likes a tackle , to say the least .

It will be a 4-5-1 shape , that most definitely won't change .

Five consecutive clean sheets going in to the game which makes six pretty unprecedented , I feel Rovers could end that and so I'm predicting a hard fought 1-1 draw .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 13, 2019, 07:07:03 pm by drfchound »
Tough game last night in demanding conditions , we have definitely got to be concerned about our energy levels going in to a derby game 3 days later .

Our game is based on high energy , intensity , pressing and counter attacking so if recent games are still in our legs then it's a worry .

That said we've had a number of issues to resolve this season and Stendel has always found a way , this group are tough , resilient , together and extremely hungry to get promoted automatically .

If we can get our noses in front then it will be a difficult night for Rovers , defensively we are rock solid and can then play on the counter more effectively .

However if Rovers can get themselves in front and play as well as they did at Oakwell in November then the games in our legs may start to take effect .

The first goal is huge on friday evening and the key to the whole contest in my opinion .

The first goal in any game is very important.
We have only lost one game all season in which we have scored the first goal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:19:13 pm by drfchound »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 13, 2019, 07:17:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Barnsley have been more consistent during the season, that's plain to see. I admired their performance at Southend when down to 10 men. Playing with purpose and taking the chances when they came, keeping it simple but working hard.

We will have to be back up to the level of performance we showed at Oakwell to have a chance. If we back off at any moment, Barnsley will take advantage.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 13, 2019, 07:40:01 pm by scawsby steve »
Barnsley have obviously got a big squad of very good players, and can cope well with injuries and suspensions. However, after losing 2 good players in January, Potts and Moncur, and coping without them quite well, they now find themselves without 3 key players, Moore, McGeehan, and Brown for Friday.

Also, they're on a 17 match unbeaten run, and as my mate Hound always says, all runs come to an end. Personally, I think this is the perfect time to play them.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 14, 2019, 05:12:05 pm by karldew »
McCann and Gerrard handed a 1 match ban so will not be in the dig out for this game

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 14, 2019, 05:19:37 pm by tyke1962 »
3 or 4 major injury doubts for us according to coach Dale Tonge .

Obviously he wouldn't say who they were but I think centre back Ethan Pinnock could be amongst them as we all witnessed him take a real whack on tuesday night late on and looked to be struggling afterwards .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 14, 2019, 09:37:29 pm by drfchound »
McCann and Gerrard handed a 1 match ban so will not be in the dig out for this game

They don’t need to be.
Mobile phone or two way radio connection with Cliff Byrne.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 14, 2019, 10:07:31 pm by the vicar »
According to my mate who is a Dingle, they have another 3 injury worries on top of the 3 last week and the player suspend

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 15, 2019, 02:35:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
I would go for:

Marosi

Blair
Butler
Anderson
Andrew

Whiteman
Kane
Rowe

Copps
Marquis
Wilks

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 15, 2019, 02:36:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Two questions would be Downing for Butler or Anderson, and Crawford for Rowe.

Reasonably sure that XI will get a result mind.

Sadlier and Crawford two subs in second half as Rowe and Copps tire maybe.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2019, 03:26:19 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I would go for:

Marosi

Blair
Butler
Anderson
Andrew

Whiteman
Kane
Rowe

Copps
Marquis
Wilks

One caveat - if Whiteman or Kane is booked, then sub the other for Crawford or Sadlier. Can't afford to be without both HK and BW.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 15, 2019, 07:09:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Rovers starting with ‘my’ line up bar Downing in for Anderson.

Dingles starting with Donny lad Mowatt.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 15, 2019, 07:15:03 pm by tyke1962 »
Rovers starting with ‘my’ line up bar Downing in for Anderson.

Dingles starting with Donny lad Mowatt.

And a 4-4-2 formation surprisingly .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 15, 2019, 10:10:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Did not think much of Dingles tonight. Soaked up a lot but otherwise not much happening.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 15, 2019, 10:43:07 pm by Donnywolf »
I would go for:

Marosi

Blair
Butler
Anderson
Andrew

Whiteman
Kane
Rowe

Copps
Marquis
Wilks

One caveat - if Whiteman or Kane is booked, then sub the other for Crawford or Sadlier. Can't afford to be without both HK and BW.

Good call but we are now clear of that threat as Cards are now "wiped"

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 16, 2019, 12:02:32 am by Jim Dobbin »
Did not think much of Dingles tonight. Soaked up a lot but otherwise not much happening.

Four players out and kept a clean sheet away from home, thats what gets you promoted.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 16, 2019, 12:10:07 am by selby »
  Jim lad, don't finish third with us sixth, that could cost you promotion. I hope you go up automatic,but if we play you in the play offs, the seeds of doubt have been sown, you know that we are more than capable of beating you, and your crowds expectations will be a heavy load for your players to carry after the disappointment of you not going up if you fail automatic, which means you will have to carry this form on right to the end of the season, a very hard ask.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:26:49 am by selby »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 16, 2019, 08:29:39 am by NickDRFC »
Well it won't live too long in the memory!

Thought Rovers just about shaded things though a point was undoubtedly the fair result.

I know it's commonplace to try and discredit the opposition in local derbies, make out they're crap, etc, but that double save from the goalkeeper in the first five minutes was unbelievable. Deserves massive credit for that.

Not a great game for Marquis, as said elsewhere, and Barnsley kept him very quiet. His decision-making at times left a lot to be desired, but his record speaks for itself and he's going through a tricky patch. He needs folks' support in this moment and not OTT criticism.

Their No.12, can't remember his name, was equally as bad with the decision-making. There were a couple of times he clung onto the ball for dear life when he had better options either side, who might have ultimately created a clearer opening.

No damage in the result as there's plenty of games left - nothing's decided tonight - and I think both sides will be content with a point.

Over to the teams tomorrow now who have all the pressure on them as they're in the chasing pack.

The double save was decent but unbelievable? The save from Wilks’ header was regulation and he had plenty of time to get up and prepare himself for Marquis to shoot straight at him - with the amount of time in between the two saves I’m not even sure it would qualify as a double save!

Agree that a point was a fair result - we dominated the first half but they settled in and were much better in the second.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 16, 2019, 08:36:55 am by Jim Dobbin »
  Jim lad, don't finish third with us sixth, that could cost you promotion. I hope you go up automatic,but if we play you in the play offs, the seeds of doubt have been sown, you know that we are more than capable of beating you, and your crowds expectations will be a heavy load for your players to carry after the disappointment of you not going up if you fail automatic, which means you will have to carry this form on right to the end of the season, a very hard ask.

The top three teams will be promoted in my view. What do you think Barnsley fans views were after that second half? Much the same - nothing to fear from any of the play off sides, they're unbeaten against them all.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 16, 2019, 08:39:37 am by selby »
  A game that entertained, both sides deserved a point in a hard fought game.  We proved we can match the top sides in this division on our day, just that they have more days than us, that little thing called consistency.
  We started the game with our best team on the field of play in my opinion, only Crawford a maybe in that starting line up of the others on the bench, although when we were looking for a goal at the death I would have had more faith in Smith than May.
  Both sides had the chances to win it, and a good atmosphere in the ground and  for the reasons I stated on the above post I would not fear playing Barnsley in the playoffs  if we qualify for them.
   It is on to our next big test at Luton, and can we be the team to burst their bubble, let's hope so.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 16, 2019, 08:53:00 am by selby »
  Jim, the team that finishes third will carry the burden of disappointment,expectancy from their supporters, and being able to be relaxed in a three game season starting from scratch again.
  The reasons so many have failed in the past, the sixth side however are mostly glad to just have another chance, and are mostly the form team going into the game, and more importantly start off on a level playing field once again, when all could have been lost,and hope springs up again.
   If for instance you end up in the playoffs, and I sincerely hope you don't, you will have come off your good run between now and the end of the season, and knowing your crowd things will not be quite the same atmosphere of confidence and good will to the team and management as you project now.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 16, 2019, 09:27:57 am by NickDRFC »
  Jim, the team that finishes third will carry the burden of disappointment,expectancy from their supporters, and being able to be relaxed in a three game season starting from scratch again.
  The reasons so many have failed in the past, the sixth side however are mostly glad to just have another chance, and are mostly the form team going into the game, and more importantly start off on a level playing field once again, when all could have been lost,and hope springs up again.
   If for instance you end up in the playoffs, and I sincerely hope you don't, you will have come off your good run between now and the end of the season, and knowing your crowd things will not be quite the same atmosphere of confidence and good will to the team and management as you project now.

Dropping from second to third on the last day of the season didn’t do us too much harm in the play offs did it?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 16, 2019, 09:38:52 am by since-1969 »
Our recent form need is drifting away from the goal grabs of early season games , we struggling to put teams away when dominating the play . We should have scored 2-3? . Yes Barnsley stayed back and took it but the second half was disappointing we strolled about too often with the ball letting the tempo drop for long periods and didn’t use the subs as intended . We put fresh legs on in Stadlier / May and Crawford but it barely altered anything . Copps comes off as he was going further back instead of maintaining his presence further up the pitch . We can’t just rely on luck for things to turn around, players ie Marquis have to raise their game to the heights expected of our leading scorer .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:55:55 am by since-1969 »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 16, 2019, 09:49:54 am by roversdude »
Their no.21 looked class when he came on

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 16, 2019, 09:58:53 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Fully expect Barnsley to carry on and get automatic promotion.

The game as a whole was a reflection of our recent form. Good in the first half. Chances not taken although their keeper made good saves, perhaps made to look simple but they weren't. We exercised a good deal of control but didn't make the most of things in the final 3rd with Wilks playing with led boots on!

Second half, we lost any fluidity with some poor decision making with poor passes and rushing free kicks when we needed to relieve the pressure that was building. With the game finely poised neither team could create a clear cut chance although Sadliers late effort was again well saved.

We are struggling to score goals and play at the level we have up to the FA Cup game whereas Barnsley believe in themselves.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012