Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: let's talk about the Barnsley game  (Read 8624 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: let's talk about the Barnsley game
« Reply #30 on March 16, 2019, 11:11:24 am by tyke1962 »
Our first half performance was dreadful , we just couldn't keep the ball , Rovers pressed us to good effect and the shape and balance of the side looked all over the place .

Mowatt who normally bosses the midfield was anonymous , not helped by the injury to Dougall in all fairness .

Whiteman and Wilks caused us problems , half time still level couldn't come soon enough for this tyke .

Second half we were much better if still below par , Fryers nullified Wilks and Mowatt started to become more influential .

Pinnock and Lindsay were immense , as they have for most of this season .

Happy enough with the point given the circumstances and we move on .

I think both teams will fulfill their ambitions this season , we will get the second automatic spot and Rovers a play off place , I can't be certain you will win the play offs because in reality nobody can be sure of that .

Good luck though , both clubs in the championship next season would be terrific with the millers staying up too .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 16, 2019, 11:20:46 am by Donnywolf »
Fair summation there

I would have taken a 0-0 before the KO - I think BFC will get auto promo

As for us we neem to take chances when they come - especially in the last few games when well on top !

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 16, 2019, 11:59:41 am by RoversAlias »
It's a myth that the team who comes 3rd usually misses out in the Play Offs due to disappointment. For one, they are by rights the "best" team of the four over a season and are always well equipped to give it a good go.

We had the final day disappointment of slipping from 2nd to 3rd, had to face the in-form Southend who had risen up the table from nowhere and yet we battered them.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 16, 2019, 12:09:16 pm by Donnywolf »
True - one Google search turned this up

Positions of teams promoted in play-offs     

So 40% of those finishing top of the Play offs make it to the higher Division - so thats twic as many as any other place you can finish

PositionChampionshipLeague OneLeague TwoTotalPercentage
3rd (4th in L2)109133239.50%
4th (5th in L2)5751721%
5th (6th in L2)7541619.80%
6th  (7th in L2)5651619.80%
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:13:34 pm by Donnywolf »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 16, 2019, 12:21:38 pm by drfchound »
Well it won't live too long in the memory!

Thought Rovers just about shaded things though a point was undoubtedly the fair result.

I know it's commonplace to try and discredit the opposition in local derbies, make out they're crap, etc, but that double save from the goalkeeper in the first five minutes was unbelievable. Deserves massive credit for that.

Not a great game for Marquis, as said elsewhere, and Barnsley kept him very quiet. His decision-making at times left a lot to be desired, but his record speaks for itself and he's going through a tricky patch. He needs folks' support in this moment and not OTT criticism.

Their No.12, can't remember his name, was equally as bad with the decision-making. There were a couple of times he clung onto the ball for dear life when he had better options either side, who might have ultimately created a clearer opening.

No damage in the result as there's plenty of games left - nothing's decided tonight - and I think both sides will be content with a point.

Over to the teams tomorrow now who have all the pressure on them as they're in the chasing pack.

The double save was decent but unbelievable? The save from Wilks’ header was regulation and he had plenty of time to get up and prepare himself for Marquis to shoot straight at him - with the amount of time in between the two saves I’m not even sure it would qualify as a double save!

Agree that a point was a fair result - we dominated the first half but they settled in and were much better in the second.

Of course it was a double save.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 16, 2019, 12:49:03 pm by steve@dcfd »
Apart from Mason, Lawlor and Wright our best players started the game. Anderson and maybe Crawford on the bench might have started. The rest of the bench are what they are squad players.

We played well first half but second half our energy decline. Wilks was struggling before he came off. Marquis and Whiteman took knocks and their performances again declined after that.

For me when GM put Crawford on I would have put Copps on the right and put Rowe wide left. Those two players can give more than any other player from the bench. Again I do not see what Crawford offers
 to the midfield, yes he runs and closes down but players just run passed him.

But the draw was a fair result but Barnsley are the better side consistently which their position shows.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 16, 2019, 12:58:12 pm by graingrover »
Sky has ruined it all though! No season ticket holders bothered no kids in family stand ...plastic football viewing !I live abroad so am often an armchair fan now faciltitated by not only Sky but also by I Follow. i contribute about £ 200,a season but am never at Keepmoat !
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:02:24 pm by graingrover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 16, 2019, 01:23:15 pm by selby »
That tells me that six time out of ten the third team do NOT go up.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 16, 2019, 01:25:57 pm by tyke1962 »
Well it won't live too long in the memory!

Thought Rovers just about shaded things though a point was undoubtedly the fair result.

I know it's commonplace to try and discredit the opposition in local derbies, make out they're crap, etc, but that double save from the goalkeeper in the first five minutes was unbelievable. Deserves massive credit for that.

Not a great game for Marquis, as said elsewhere, and Barnsley kept him very quiet. His decision-making at times left a lot to be desired, but his record speaks for itself and he's going through a tricky patch. He needs folks' support in this moment and not OTT criticism.

Their No.12, can't remember his name, was equally as bad with the decision-making. There were a couple of times he clung onto the ball for dear life when he had better options either side, who might have ultimately created a clearer opening.

No damage in the result as there's plenty of games left - nothing's decided tonight - and I think both sides will be content with a point.

Over to the teams tomorrow now who have all the pressure on them as they're in the chasing pack.

The double save was decent but unbelievable? The save from Wilks’ header was regulation and he had plenty of time to get up and prepare himself for Marquis to shoot straight at him - with the amount of time in between the two saves I’m not even sure it would qualify as a double save!

Agree that a point was a fair result - we dominated the first half but they settled in and were much better in the second.

Of course it was a double save.

And something that’s a lot harder to do in reality than it looks. Absolutely fair play to him.

Shame it didn’t go in, mind you, as Barnsley would have then had to come out their shell and be more inventive from very early on.

Rovers put us in the shell it wasn't a deliberate tactic , we play to win every game .

We were pressing hard in the second half right up to the final whistle but Rovers defended very well and we lacked that vital cutting edge .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 16, 2019, 02:18:17 pm by ravenrover »
Our first half performance was dreadful , we just couldn't keep the ball , Rovers pressed us to good effect and the shape and balance of the side looked all over the place .

Mowatt who normally bosses the midfield was anonymous , not helped by the injury to Dougall in all fairness .

Whiteman and Wilks caused us problems , half time still level couldn't come soon enough for this tyke .

Second half we were much better if still below par , Fryers nullified Wilks and Mowatt started to become more influential .

I think both teams will fulfill their ambitions this season , we will get the second automatic spot and Rovers a play off place , I can't be certain you will win the play offs because in reality nobody can be sure of that .

Good luck though , both clubs in the championship next season would be terrific with the millers staying up too .
Yet again it's because you were dreadfull not because Rovers outplayed you, try admitting it without the caveat

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 16, 2019, 02:43:46 pm by tyke1962 »

Yet again it's because you were dreadfull not because Rovers outplayed you, try admitting it without the caveat

You certainly didn't outplay us in the second half last night .

If you want my honest assessment of your team it's that you lack a ruthless streak and a physical presence .

Technically very good but at this level you need more to challenge the automatic places , at tough places such as Shrewsbury and Wimbledon you were found wanting .

If you couldn't put us away last night with our starting line up and the added injury to Dougall then when can you beat us ?

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 16, 2019, 03:07:04 pm by DINGLE »
If we finish third we won’t go up Coventry are a bogey side for us.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 16, 2019, 03:13:41 pm by DINGLE »

Given all their issues will Coventry even be allowed to compete in the play-offs, should they get there?

Hope not if we finish third

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 16, 2019, 03:29:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Given all their issues will Coventry even be allowed to compete in the play-offs, should they get there?

Seriously trying hard for a nibble.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 16, 2019, 06:03:35 pm by DINGLE »

Seriously trying hard for a nibble.

???.
 I’m absolutely certain they’ll beast us a week next Saturday they always seem to, they won today they’ve been bang in form for weeks would you want them in the playoffs?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 16, 2019, 10:09:22 pm by Pancho Regan »

Mowatt who normally bosses the midfield was anonymous

Nothing to do with you being dreadful, it’s that we completely outplayed you.
Mowatt was anonymous because our midfield players swamped him and didn’t let him play.
You looked all over the place because we were by far the better team and you were chasing shadows.

For the second time this season, you have got out of jail and stolen a point off us.

Be big enough to call it how it is.

You can now go on to tell me how much higher in the table you are, but you don’t get the bragging rights from us this season.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 16, 2019, 11:33:40 pm by tyke1962 »

Mowatt who normally bosses the midfield was anonymous

Nothing to do with you being dreadful, it’s that we completely outplayed you.
Mowatt was anonymous because our midfield players swamped him and didn’t let him play.
You looked all over the place because we were by far the better team and you were chasing shadows.

For the second time this season, you have got out of jail and stolen a point off us.

Be big enough to call it how it is.

You can now go on to tell me how much higher in the table you are, but you don’t get the bragging rights from us this season.

There isn't any bragging rights as both games ended in draws .

I couldn't care less about getting endorsements from you , in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter  .

The only thing that concerns me is getting enough points to get automatic promotion , how we collect them and who we collect them off is neither here nor there .

With all due respect I wouldn't get too concerned about us because the way Coventry are putting a run together you should be more worried about keeping hold of 6th place right now .

Your scintillating football against us that only yielded two points may cost you yet .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 17, 2019, 09:07:47 am by NickDRFC »
Pancho - drawing both games, I don’t think we’ve got any bragging rights either. A draw was a fair point on Friday as well - no robbery this time around.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 17, 2019, 09:10:18 am by drfchound »
Pancho - drawing both games, I don’t think we’ve got any bragging rights either. A draw was a fair point on Friday as well - no robbery this time around.

Pancho didn’t say we had got the bragging rights though did he.
He just said that Barnsley hadn’t got them.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 17, 2019, 09:55:54 am by NickDRFC »

Pancho didn’t say we had got the bragging rights though did he.
He just said that Barnsley hadn’t got them.

I didn’t say that he did, just pointing out that we have nothing to brag about either. Also just pointing out that Friday night wasn’t them stealing a point - a draw was a fair result.

Tarn4ever

« Reply #50 on March 17, 2019, 11:12:07 am by Tarn4ever »

There isn't any bragging rights as both games ended in draws .

I couldn't care less about getting endorsements from you , in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter  .

The only thing that concerns me is getting enough points to get automatic promotion , how we collect them and who we collect them off is neither here nor there .

With all due respect I wouldn't get too concerned about us because the way Coventry are putting a run together you should be more worried about keeping hold of 6th place right now .

Your scintillating football against us that only yielded two points may cost you yet .
[/quote]

Imagine if the ref had given a penalty for the pull-back on Pinnock from Butler. The one that Sky TV pundits agreed should’ve been one. Ah well, all things considered a point each was fair, and all things considered, including losing another key player,Kenny Dougall,with a broken leg, We’ve come through a very tough week unbeaten. l

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 17, 2019, 11:20:27 am by tyke1962 »
Just confirmed that our Kenny Dougall broke his leg on friday night and he's obviously out for the rest of the season .

One of those things really , certainly no intent from the Rovers lad and just two committed players challenging for the ball .

Kenny even tried playing on for a spell , good grief .

Just got to get on with it and I'm sure we all wish Kenny a speedy recovery .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 17, 2019, 11:39:23 am by DonnyOsmond »
Bit of a dick move from our fans booing someone with a broken leg for not rushing off.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 17, 2019, 01:00:58 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just confirmed that our Kenny Dougall broke his leg on friday night and he's obviously out for the rest of the season .

One of those things really , certainly no intent from the Rovers lad and just two committed players challenging for the ball .

Yes, a full and speedy recovery for your player Tyke.

May I say it is a pleasure to read fair and well written commentary from fans of other clubs - you are very welcome on here and good luck in your final push for automatic promotion.  :thumbsup:

Tarn4ever

« Reply #54 on March 17, 2019, 01:22:15 pm by Tarn4ever »
Bit of a dick move from our fans booing someone with a broken leg for not rushing off.
To be fair to Donny fans,he did get back up and tried to play on, and then sat back down not too far from the touch line. I’m sure we,and other fans would’ve been shouting for him to gerroff if it was the other way around. Shit happens, It’s just a shame it has come at such a vital time. In the face of adversity and all that.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 17, 2019, 03:46:40 pm by tyke1962 »

Yes, a full and speedy recovery for your player Tyke.

May I say it is a pleasure to read fair and well written commentary from fans of other clubs - you are very welcome on here and good luck in your final push for automatic promotion.  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much , it's a good board and a credit to Doncaster Rovers .

May I wish Rovers all the best for the remainder of the season and lets have two South Yorkshire clubs promoted from this league in May .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 17, 2019, 04:25:33 pm by Campsall rover »
It is so refreshing to have sensible banter with opposition fans.
Shame a few idiots always want to come on here and make derisory comments. That’s both Rovers and other club supporters of course.
All the best Tyke until we play you in the play off Semi finals.
Sorry have a gut feeling Sunderland are just going to pip you for 2nd.
You will be pleased to know i am usually wrong.  :thumbsup:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 17, 2019, 05:22:20 pm by tyke1962 »
It is so refreshing to have sensible banter with opposition fans.
Shame a few idiots always want to come on here and make derisory comments. That’s both Rovers and other club supporters of course.
All the best Tyke until we play you in the play off Semi finals.
Sorry have a gut feeling Sunderland are just going to pip you for 2nd.
You will be pleased to know i am usually wrong.  :thumbsup:

The key to the automatic positions are our next two league games , Walsall away next saturday lunchtime and Coventry at home the following week .

Sunderland don't play a league game now till April 3rd at Accrington Stanley due to the international break and Checkatrade cup final .

If and I do say if we can win both those games it will put us 8 points clear of them and they then face 6 games in 20 days to catch up .

I'm hoping the scoreboard pressure and a the amount of games they have to play will finally catch up with them .

We have to take care of our own business mind and neither of our next two games are going to be easy .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 17, 2019, 05:36:19 pm by drfchound »
There are no easy games.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on March 17, 2019, 06:17:25 pm by Dutch Uncle »
By a similar argument our important games coming up are the home games against Bristol Rovers and Walsall. Anything at Luton is a bonus.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012