Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: VAR question  (Read 1856 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
VAR question
« on March 17, 2019, 06:58:23 am by Donnywolf »
I thought that VAR would be used for Red Cards only to confirm it was the right person who had been given it

So I was surprised when watching Wolves beat Man U to see Lindelof having a Red Card removed and a Yellow put in its place ?

Trying to be as objective as possible I thought initially that the tackle was horrendous and was not surprised to see a Red Card. Then someone decided to review it and I did not change my mind. Still objective - I could see reasons why someone might decide he had touched the ball initially BUT if you see it again the initial contact took the Wolves players standing leg

However I have digressed - surely the Ref should be the arbiter of Red Cards and ONLY him because he gets one view and judges from that. The majority he will get right and the odd one he will have got wrong

Otherwise are we going to review Yellow Cards too for the ones that should have been Red ? Good example yesterday Leeds v Blades. Many many Refs would have sent off a Blades player (Basham ? was it) who went high and clean through on the Leeds player.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:48:12 am by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: VAR question
« Reply #1 on March 17, 2019, 08:13:13 am by Padge_DRFC »
Never a read tackle not dangerous, if that's a red games gone

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 17, 2019, 08:15:41 am by deebee »
I think that if you are going to use VAR in these matches then they should include them at every match in this round. If VAR had been used at the Swansea v Man City game then their winning goal which was clearly well offside would have been disallowed. I bet the Swans were spitting feathers.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 17, 2019, 08:16:32 am by deebee »
What's a read tackle?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 17, 2019, 08:46:23 am by Donnywolf »
I think that if you are going to use VAR in these matches then they should include them at every match in this round. If VAR had been used at the Swansea v Man City game then their winning goal which was clearly well offside would have been disallowed. I bet the Swans were spitting feathers.

... but they would have conceded a Penalty as one of the Swans clearly stopped a goal on the Line. Dont know if that means a Red Card as well though

One thing it means imo is that VAR is not going to be perfect either and maybe should be restricted to Offsides and definitive decisions NOT subjective decisions

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 17, 2019, 09:10:07 am by mrfrostsdad »
I thought VAR was used where there is a possibility/probability the officials had made a mistake? Maybe I'm wrong.
As long as they reach the correct decision I think that's all that matters. And yesterday they did: that was never a red card in this world.
Shame it won't reach the lower leagues anytime soon

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 17, 2019, 10:05:06 am by Draytonian III »
VAR takes to long to sort out,stopping the game for over 2 minutes at a time. The powers that be are trying turn it into American Football, the next thing there will be adverts during a VAR break

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 17, 2019, 10:46:04 am by Colemans Left Hook »
VAR takes to long to sort out,stopping the game for over 2 minutes at a time. The powers that be are trying turn it into American Football, the next thing there will be adverts during a VAR break
[/color]

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN - stopping defenders breathing on attackers maybe have them clean their teeth pre match to avoid bad breath :suicide:

not necessary adverts in the Uk for a while but I am sure very soon (if they don't already have them) the "target growth viewing" countries South Korea China japan etc & old favourite usa (and in 20 years North Korea) will soon have them.

The days of the "away" supporter as some of

As some of us know the

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 17, 2019, 05:55:54 pm by ravenrover »
I thought that VAR would be used for Red Cards only to confirm it was the right person who had been given it

So I was surprised when watching Wolves beat Man U to see Lindelof having a Red Card removed and a Yellow put in its place ?

Trying to be as objective as possible I thought initially that the tackle was horrendous and was not surprised to see a Red Card. Then someone decided to review it and I did not change my mind. Still objective - I could see reasons why someone might decide he had touched the ball initially BUT if you see it again the initial contact took the Wolves players standing leg

However I have digressed - surely the Ref should be the arbiter of Red Cards and ONLY him because he gets one view and judges from that. The majority he will get right and the odd one he will have got wrong

Otherwise are we going to review Yellow Cards too for the ones that should have been Red ? Good example yesterday Leeds v Blades. Many many Refs would have sent off a Blades player (Basham ? was it) who went high and clean through on the Leeds player.

There was an instant in  a match a few weeks back when the player was sent off for 2 yellow cards, after VAR the ref called him back on to the pitch and rescinded the yellow but then gave him a straight red!

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 19, 2019, 11:23:14 pm by elmsallrover »
All it will do is double or triple the number of penalties given over the course of a season

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2019, 04:11:53 pm by RobTheRover »
I'm a bit disillusioned with VAR's implementation, to be honest.

Every key moment gets the VAR assessment, and if an error is found then the ref is informed and either gets told the decision or is invited to review it on the screen themselves.

It was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors which, by that very brief description, shouldnt be happening.

It should really be less obtrusive in my book, and probably operate like it does in Rugby, where the video ref doesnt get involved unless the on-pitch Ref asks them to check.  It would be so easy for the ref to say "I've awarded a penalty based on Coppinger being taken down in the tackle by Jones.  Is there any reason why that decision shouldnt stand?" and the VAR team review the tackle, does the attacker dive, does the defender get the ball first, etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012