Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 03:48:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers accounts  (Read 5639 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers accounts
« Reply #30 on March 31, 2019, 02:40:23 pm by silent majority »
When will we know how much the cup run made the club and will that be given to GM   on top of the budget he will be given. Also what are the plans for next season should we stay in L1.? Same budget?  Smaller? Bigger?  Not sure if this is the right time for you to ask Martin. Thanks for the hard work you do for us supporters Martin. Kutgw.

I don't know all the answers, but I have had a chat about this. Firstly the budget will be 'a competitive' one, much like the one we already have, although that may be increased depending on circumstances. It certainly won't be cut, as we seek to remain competitive and give ourselves the opportunity to get promoted out of this division. We can't buy our way out of this one, it would take far too much but we can keep it at a level that gives us chances. Our owners have committed to the level of spending for quite some years now, which will mean a subsidy by them. We're still not at that sustainable stage, although we're getting closer.

The cup windfall hasn't been spent yet. I do know there's a desire for it to have a lasting benefit but what that is has not been decided.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 31, 2019, 10:33:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Nevermind transfers, I'd love to see some of that FA Cup money going to upgrade the training facilities at Cantley Park.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 31, 2019, 10:34:40 pm by silent majority »
Nevermind transfers, I'd love to see some of that FA Cup money going to upgrade the training facilities at Cantley Park.

That's the thought process RA.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 01, 2019, 08:05:34 am by RugbyRover »
so you don't want to turn our current top six team into a top two team?
sport is all about seizing the moment.
we don't need new training facilities to get us promoted next year, we need a couple of players to improve our first 11 (not squad players as happened this year).

instead you want to hide behind this myth of building for tomorrow.

and if we do go up this year via the play offs we'll need every penny we have to be chucked into that transfer budget.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 01, 2019, 08:09:13 am by IDM »
Couldn’t disagree more..

Investing in the future does not equate to a lack of ambition.

Yes we always need to maintain decent investment in players but not at risk to the club’s existence..

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 01, 2019, 08:33:47 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I agree. Longer term investment will benefit more.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 01, 2019, 08:34:39 am by RugbyRover »
Couldn’t disagree more..

Yes we always need to maintain decent investment in players but not at risk to the club’s existence..
I don't see how investing a one off windfall in the current team will put the club's existence in danger?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 01, 2019, 08:43:54 am by RoversAlias »
we don't need new training facilities to get us promoted next year, we need a couple of players to improve our first 11 (not squad players as happened this year).

and if we do go up this year via the play offs we'll need every penny we have to be chucked into that transfer budget.

I want this club to be here and capable of thriving in 10, 20, 50 years so my kids and their kids can go to see Rovers every Saturday. Improving our training facilities will do that, blowing a load of money hard-earned in the cup on transfers that may or may not work out won't do that. I'm not "hiding behind" anything thank you.

We spent over a million pounds in transfer money one summer less than 10 years ago. A few years after doing so we were in League Two. Short-termism won't get you far, not in football nor in life.

I think most Rovers fans would be happy to see investment in the training ground, especially if you've seen what it looks like.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 01, 2019, 09:02:09 am by IDM »
Couldn’t disagree more..

I don't see how investing a one off windfall in the current team will put the club's existence in danger?

That’s not what you said though, or if you meant that, it wasn’t clear..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 01, 2019, 10:12:26 am by silent majority »

You're missing the point. As I've already said we can't buy our way out of this division, the windfall is nowhere near big enough to do that, but we can invest it wisely so it'll have a lasting benefit. That's the sensible option.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 01, 2019, 10:32:07 am by wing commander »
   Football has changed massively over the last 15 years or so.Sports science and preparation are now a major part to be a successful club..

The problem is for lower league teams is that money is so tight on players wages/budgets that improvements in this area are a bit down the essential pecking order...So when you get a bonus income like our cup run it's only common sense that the money generated is spent on long term benefits rather than chancy short term player signings..The improved facilities these funds provide can benefit every player/manager for a extended period of time...

It will also help in making up players minds who are potential signings..Cantley has actually come a long way over the last decade but is still lacking in many areas..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 01, 2019, 10:44:17 am by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if the club considered selling up at Cantley Park and transferring the facility to the Keepmoat?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 01, 2019, 11:18:54 am by RugbyRover »
   Football has changed massively over the last 15 years or so.Sports science and preparation are now a major part to be a successful club..

The problem is for lower league teams is that money is so tight on players wages/budgets that improvements in this area are a bit down the essential pecking order...So when you get a bonus income like our cup run it's only common sense that the money generated is spent on long term benefits rather than chancy short term player signings..The improved facilities these funds provide can benefit every player/manager for a extended period of time...

It will also help in making up players minds who are potential signings..Cantley has actually come a long way over the last decade but is still lacking in many areas..
why assume that the players we sign are going to be chancy signings? I'd take the view that we'd trust the current manager and his scouts to bring in a couple of young hungry skilful players that would make the team better. If we don't trust him with the money then why is he still our manager?

also if I were a footballer offered a contract I'd be looking at things like -
- wages
- length of contract
- win bonus
- strength of squad
- manager and coach
- chances of getting promotion

sports science would not be high on the list at all.

I do get the idea of investing in the "back office". But its "front of house" where all the money should be spent until there are no obvious areas to improve.

ATM we have several areas in the current starting 11 we have to address before we can look at luxuries like new training facilities

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 01, 2019, 11:46:50 am by wing commander »

[/quote]why assume that the players we sign are going to be chancy signings? I'd take the view that we'd trust the current manager and his scouts to bring in a couple of young hungry skilful players that would make the team better. If we don't trust him with the money then why is he still our manager?

- wages
- length of contract
- win bonus
- strength of squad
- manager and coach

I do get the idea of investing in the "back office". But its "front of house" where all the money should be spent until there are no obvious areas to improve.

ATM we have several areas in the current starting 11 we have to address before we can look at luxuries like new training facilities
[/quote]

Because it doesn't matter who your manager is some signings work some don't and every signing is a chance..Sports science and training facilities are essential..If the money spent improves a player by even half a percent it pays for itself many times over..I just think what you are saying is very short term thinking..

I trust GM to improve the squad within the set playing budget and in fairness he has said himself that some investment in Cantley Park would help him massively and that's what he wants the money spending on too and he's the manager who knows more than you and I..

I don't see it as Luxuries like you do,i see it as part of essential development of the club and the team..As for your points on players,we lost a lot of players over the years who were shown round belle vue and decided that's not were they wanted to be regardless of contracts offered.We are sorted in that department now with the Keepmoat but Cantley needs some improvements..

And besides that Pool table needs recovering and those table tennis bats look knackered ;-)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 01, 2019, 12:07:15 pm by RugbyRover »

why assume that the players we sign are going to be chancy signings? I'd take the view that we'd trust the current manager and his scouts to bring in a couple of young hungry skilful players that would make the team better. If we don't trust him with the money then why is he still our manager?

- wages
- length of contract
- win bonus
- strength of squad
- manager and coach

[/quote]

Because it doesn't matter who your manager is some signings work some don't and every signing is a chance..Sports science and training facilities are essential..If the money spent improves a player by even half a percent it pays for itself many times over..I just think what you are saying is very short term thinking..

I trust GM to improve the squad within the set playing budget and in fairness he has said himself that some investment in Cantley Park would help him massively and that's what he wants the money spending on too and he's the manager who knows more than you and I..

I don't see it as Luxuries like you do,i see it as part of essential development of the club and the team..As for your points on players,we lost a lot of players over the years who were shown round belle vue and decided that's not were they wanted to be regardless of contracts offered.We are sorted in that department now with the Keepmoat but Cantley needs some improvements..

And besides that Pool table needs recovering and those table tennis bats look knackered ;-)

[/quote]ok I take your point about the pool table. Didn't realise things were so bad  :lol:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 01, 2019, 01:45:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'd rather we have the facilities to sign a player for £100K and turn him into a £2million player regularly. Rather than just once splash the cash. Also, if the first thing we look at is where we can improve the team before we spend on other areas of the club then we'll never spend on the other areas as there will always be improvements we can make in the team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 01, 2019, 01:58:01 pm by NickDRFC »
For me it’s all about balance. We should be looking to improve infrastructure and facilities that will have a positive long term impact on development of players, but given how we’ve done this year it’s important that we don’t stand still or even regress relative to the rest of the division next war. Given what we’ve made from the cup run we should have the ability to focus on both, and I’ve got every faith that the bird will strike the right balance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012