Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:41:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Sunderland game  (Read 6949 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Sunderland game
« on April 14, 2019, 03:03:55 pm by selby »
  The result against Coventry at Sunderland came as a complete shock to me, and makes one wonder just what the reaction will be against us on Friday.
   It can be interpreted as a freak result that will galvanise them to extra effort to put things right in their next game against us, or is it the start of pressure getting to their players, who are expected to win most games in this division against clubs like ours.
 I hope it is the latter, and we can advance our own chances at getting in the playoffs at their expense, whatever I am expecting a hard fought game, and  the experience of going to a new ground and a large crowd.
  Our injury crisis is now looking to be in a better place, although non of the lads who have come into the team have in any way let us down, the inclusion of Kane and Whiteman would improve every team in this division.
 Sunderland's team is full of players who have played at a higher level than league one, but have been found wanting as much mentally as footballing wise. Their large crowd are full of the expectancy that getting promotion from this division was going to be a breeze, especially when new owners came running over the hill to save them from financial problems after chasing the dream with an American owner.
  Meanwile our form is four wins on the bounce ( have we ever done five perhaps Dutch can tell us), and the hope that we can go there and further disrupt their promotion push and enhance ours and at the same time help our neighbours from the outback over the hill.
  Would you bring Whiteman back if he is declared fit?
  Would Tom Anderson come into your team?
  Are Sunderland over rated, or a team under-performing at this level ?
  Are you looking forward to the Stadium of Light experience?
  Do you think their Coventry result will effect their performance?
  Will it spur them on to get back on track?
  Or coupled with their loss at Wembley, is it a sign that their team are feeling the pressure of expectancy? and losing form at the crucial time of the season?
   Lot's to discuss, and if any Mackems want to join in with sensible discussion please do.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Sunderland game
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2019, 03:09:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Nothing to lose. Everything to gain. Earlier results in the day may affect our approach however. A point will be useful.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2019, 03:10:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
They have kept two clean sheets in their last ten home games in the league - against the lowest away scorers (AFC Wimbledon) and the second lowest away scorers (Plymouth Argyle). Their five clean sheets at home all season in the league have come against dross - AFC Wimbledon, Plymouth Argyle, Bradford City, Scunny and Southend United. They obviously conceded five at home yesterday.

Fancy us to have a go here. They are not great defensively at home.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:13:42 pm by Chris Black come back »

michaelsafc

« Reply #3 on April 14, 2019, 05:19:27 pm by michaelsafc »
Hi guys, SAFC fan in peace here....

Hope you enjoy your trip up north on Good Friday and by all accounts a decent number of you will make the trip, so safe journey and enjoy the day.

Plenty of away fan friendly pubs, in fact all of them all to be honest.

We are recovering from yesterdays stranger than strange result and defensive performance against the might of Coventry, so expect a few changes, well we do, but who knows.

One thing we do know, is that we tend to score in every game, but like to let the oppo score first.

I have a lot of family from Harworth and a few travelling up for the weekend,so will be in opposite ends but have enjoyed my trips to Donny, albeit Belle Vue was on its last legs when i went there in the late 80's.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2019, 05:32:27 pm by deebee »
Need to score an early goal, could get their fans on their back. All 36,000 of them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2019, 05:46:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Need to score an early goal, could get their fans on their back. All 36,000 of them.
They will have over 40,000 home fans on Friday i reckon.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2019, 05:49:05 pm by jackthelad »
I think I would take a point... depending on how the Peterborough game goes before ours anyway!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2019, 05:51:12 pm by selby »
  DB, 0-0 and a winner in the 94th minute to get their crowd on their backs will do me

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2019, 05:57:41 pm by Campsall rover »
I think the atmosphere will spur us on and Sunderland are under pressure. Which way it will go is anyone’s guess but i would be happy with a point. A win would be a massive bonus. And yes we can win if we give it a serious go.
We need to beat Accrington on Tuesday that’s the one where we must not slip up. Then that will put Peterborough under pressure to win away at Portsmouth and home to Sunderland.
Think they will now win at Fleetwood with the Joey Barton situation.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:31:42 pm by Campsall rover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2019, 06:01:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
If fit Marquis and Whiteman would replace Crawford and Sadlier. Anderson on the bench if fit. Unfortunate for him.
Maybe radical but I’d play 4 2 3 1

Whiteman and Kane has the two
Wilks right, Copps left and Rowe in the middle both could rotate.

DRFCFAN12

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2019, 06:28:21 pm by DRFCFAN12 »
2000 plus will be going

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2019, 10:04:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
If we're not expecting a backlash, following their last game, then we're more naiive than I thought. Stem the early onslaught and hit back when we have the chance and you just never know.

I just hope we have everyone fit and able, including Ben Whiteman. I'd certainly go along with the 4-2-3-1 formation in an effort to tie things up in midfield, yet still be able to maintain our killer punch. JM's enforced time out may have done him the world of good.

As far as Fleetwood are concerned, it may just make them close ranks and pull together tighter. Who knows, so long as they get a result I couldn't give a damn.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2019, 10:17:36 pm by drfchound »
If fit Marquis and Whiteman would replace Crawford and Sadlier. Anderson on the bench if fit. Unfortunate for him.

Whiteman and Kane have the two what?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2019, 10:45:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
The two in 4 2 3 1

Blair. Downing. Butler Andrew
      Whiteman.   Kane
 Wilks.       Rowe.     Coppinger
            Marquis
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:31:20 am by steve@dcfd »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2019, 10:59:56 pm by since-1969 »
I’d take a draw and now because I’m sure there will a reaction after loosing to Coventry. We are below our best away from home and Marquis will be under even more pressure to perform against a team that made a bid for him . But I wouldn’t put it past him to have the game of the season . So 0-0’it is 😂

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2019, 11:05:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
Marquis is under no more pressure than what he puts on himself in every game.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 15, 2019, 12:04:57 am by jackthelad »
Marquis is under no more pressure than what he puts on himself in every game.

I know where your coming from but I’m sure he will have it on his mind about the bids etc and wanting to show Sunderland what they missed out on. It’s human nature.

I’m sure he will be desperate to score anyway.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 15, 2019, 01:09:17 am by scawsby steve »
My concern is our poor away form. We got the result at Bradford but the performance was abysmal. Apart from Preston, we haven't performed well on the road since December.

I don't think it will happen, but I dread the thought of another Luton when we didn't turn up; especially in front of the cameras.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 15, 2019, 04:03:21 am by PDX_Rover »
Looking at the goals from the Coventry game, almost all of them came with players running at the defense or slide balls onto diagonal runs. Get the ball down, get running at them, see how we go. Big crowd and atmosphere might spur us on. We get them rattled the crowd could turn on them... Big pressure on them to try and get that second automatic spot back.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 15, 2019, 06:50:24 am by Draytonian III »
The Sunderland lad posted “ Belle Vue on its last legs in the late 80’s “ !!! Then we played on there for the next 20 years

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 15, 2019, 07:13:06 am by drfchound »

Whiteman and Kane have the two what?
The two in 4 2 3 1

Blair. Downing. Blair. Andrew
      Whiteman.   Kane
            Marquis

Whhhhooooosh

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 15, 2019, 07:30:11 am by since-1969 »
The two in 4 2 3 1

Whiteman.   Kane
            Marquis
The Blair twins ...they kept that secret !

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 15, 2019, 07:51:33 am by Northants Nomad »
The two in 4 2 3 1

Whiteman.   Kane
            Marquis
The Blair twins ...they kept that secret !
Yeah, but people tend to pronounce them differently to tell them apart - Blair and B-ut-lair

michaelsafc

« Reply #23 on April 15, 2019, 08:33:28 am by michaelsafc »
The Sunderland lad posted “ Belle Vue on its last legs in the late 80’s “ !!! Then we played on there for the next 20 years

Yeah fair enough, nothing wrong with that, good things come to those who wait i spose, nice new stadium....

i can remember being shuffled into a tiny cage behind the goal with around 400 or so others.....maybe just being unkind to grounds that didnt hold too many

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 15, 2019, 09:00:09 am by selby »
  Roker Park was a little tired by the time it was replaced, but the red and white surrounds of the pitch area must have helped many an offside goal for the Mackems.
   Looking forward to the experience on Friday and hopefully we can put in a performance and it is a great game, certainly for both teams there is a lot riding on the game, and both set's of supporters will be feeling the pressure.
  The loyalty to their team of all the North East sides has been a feature of my footballing life, even succeeding generations following the teams after generations of living in the Doncaster area mining villages, families still loyal to the teams their fathers supported before leaving to come and work in the mines around Doncaster. I bet most of us know someone or a family that are avid fans of a team from the North East and probably think why?
  I always feel we have a connection some how, and admire their loyalty, but hope we beat them on Friday.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 15, 2019, 09:53:48 am by Chris Black come back »
Our away record is poor. In our last ten away league games we have won only two - one was against rock bottom Bradford City and the other was last year, 1-3 away at Gillingham. In that same run we have managed some good draws away at Blackpool, Portsmouth and in local derby at Scunthorpe, but we have also lost 5 in 10. Not great.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 15, 2019, 11:04:15 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
True, feels like we have turned a corner recently though and been a bit less attack minded which makes a difference.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 15, 2019, 11:07:03 am by idler »
It would be a great game to keep away momentum going after Bradford.
A win would be great but if we lose we need to bounce straight back in the next game.
The league table could be very interesting after the Easter games.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 15, 2019, 11:14:20 am by RoversAlias »
This could be a great game for Wilks if he fancies it, watching the highlights from the 4-5 their defence didn't enjoy having to deal with quick, incisive runs into the heart of their ranks and Wilks loves to do that.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 15, 2019, 11:52:57 am by DearneValleyRover »
I think it is set up for counter attacking football something our 4-3-3 formation is set up for. It would be great if Whiteman is also fit and Kane has come through saturday unscathed as I fancy us putting in an oakwell type performance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012