Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:24:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Sunderland game  (Read 6860 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Sunderland game
« Reply #60 on April 19, 2019, 09:23:00 pm by drfchound »
Shots that hit the post don't count as on target.
Had we been given the two pens we might have had two goals.
Sunderland only had five on target.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 20, 2019, 08:14:18 am by tyke1962 »
I didn't see the first 25 minutes of the game as I was making my way home from Oakwell .

The thing that struck me the most was I felt Rovers gave Sunderland far too much respect , Rovers needed to get right at them from the off and play  on their apprehension from their result last saturday and the fact both ourselves and Pompey had already put our 3 points on the board .

That big crowd would have soon got nervous and the Sunderland players would have soon felt under tremendous pressure .

I was very disappointed Rovers had a bit of an off day for obvious reasons , many of your players simply didn't turn up .

Sunderland are a hard working mechanical side plus McGeady , nothing special in my opinion .

They were there for the taking after recent home performances .

That said I believe you have enough in hand to grab 6th spot .

My concern if I was a Rovers fan would be a slight concern over the handling of the bigger occasion in the play off campaign if we agree that yesterdays game at the SOL live on Sky was a bigger occasion .

I wouldn't go as far as to say freeze but it's in that ballpark .

The other aspect of the play offs entered my mind during a conversation I had in the pub pre match with fellow tykes yesterday .

Ourselves , Pompey , Sunderland and Charlton have for weeks now performed and accumulated points under the greatest of pressure , the points we are accumulating is fairly unprecedented , two clubs are likely to miss out on the automatic spot with over 90 points .

You could argue for weeks now we have all been well set for the challenge should a play off campaign be required .

I'm not saying I'm right on this but it could well be a factor .

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:23:36 am by tyke1962 »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 20, 2019, 09:22:48 am by selby »
  If it is not broken do not try to fix it. The cardinal sin of management, on the face of it the collective of slightly less gifted players is the team in form,change it at your peril, and that is what we did.
   Was Whiteman better than Crawford no, was playing Coppinger wider now his pace has gone, and he is not more central in the pocket, on the ball more in tight situations knocking it about, making other players play a success, no.
  A bad day at the office, Crawford improved things after half time, the big talking point was the referee's apparent dismissal of anything resembling a penalty to us, which should have been given, but would have if we had scored put a complete wrong slant on the result.
   Well beaten fair enough, we are better than that and have now to react to the situation, and improve our poor away form next week at Oxford as well.
   And we need to get a right back for next season, that would be my top of things to do in the summer if I was the manager.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 20, 2019, 09:25:05 am by ravenrover »
Hate to say it but on that performance by Sunderland I think Peterboro will beat them

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 20, 2019, 09:46:39 am by RedJ »
Highlight of the game for me was that kid at the back blurting out "the referee's a w**ker". :laugh:

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 20, 2019, 09:55:08 am by WheatleyRover »
Should of brought Smith on earlier

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 20, 2019, 09:01:10 pm by drfchound »
Should of brought Smith on earlier

“have”

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 20, 2019, 09:11:28 pm by Donnywolf »
I didn't see the first 25 minutes of the game as I was making my way home from Oakwell .

The thing that struck me the most was I felt Rovers gave Sunderland far too much respect , Rovers needed to get right at them from the off and play  on their apprehension from their result last saturday and the fact both ourselves and Pompey had already put our 3 points on the board .

That big crowd would have soon got nervous and the Sunderland players would have soon felt under tremendous pressure .

I was very disappointed Rovers had a bit of an off day for obvious reasons , many of your players simply didn't turn up .

Sunderland are a hard working mechanical side plus McGeady , nothing special in my opinion .

They were there for the taking after recent home performances .

That said I believe you have enough in hand to grab 6th spot .

My concern if I was a Rovers fan would be a slight concern over the handling of the bigger occasion in the play off campaign if we agree that yesterdays game at the SOL live on Sky was a bigger occasion .

I wouldn't go as far as to say freeze but it's in that ballpark .

The other aspect of the play offs entered my mind during a conversation I had in the pub pre match with fellow tykes yesterday .

Ourselves , Pompey , Sunderland and Charlton have for weeks now performed and accumulated points under the greatest of pressure , the points we are accumulating is fairly unprecedented , two clubs are likely to miss out on the automatic spot with over 90 points .

You could argue for weeks now we have all been well set for the challenge should a play off campaign be required .

I'm not saying I'm right on this but it could well be a factor .

You missed nowt in first 25 mins Tyke - we did as you say give them far too much respect - as we did v Palace in the Cup

What I would have liked to see then and yesterday was a "blood and guts " Cup tie - just as Newport did v Man City. Face up to them and have a GO. Yesterday was set up brilliantly for that but we never got going - and it was ages till we completed a 4 pass move

We had an opportunity to make them stop and think and yes maybe even quiver with the weight of expectation and unfortunately we did not go for the jugular - look them in the eye - go toe to toe with them or whatever cliche fits - and just capitulated letting the crowd have a free ride

Oh well at least I managed a whole post without mentioning the elephant in the room ! I must be getting over it him

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 20, 2019, 09:33:57 pm by acacia94 »
Its a fair summary Tyke. We've not really got the Rob Jones, Richie Wellens, Mark Albrighten type characters in the squad anymore that can grab the game by the knackers and tear out a blood and guts performance. We're light on the big boys when the big occasions have come around.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 21, 2019, 12:18:08 am by RoversAlias »
We pedants are a dying breed, Hound!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012